Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: My Bomber Build

Can always use grey housings with silver addons.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Gears went in great. Had a lot of fun crawling, hill climbing, rock bouncing, and trailing today. 3S is sooo much fun, this thing can get some air!

My bomber survived 3 hours and 2 packs.

Finally made this hill climb after my 3rd time coming here. First time with the Castle setup, made it up 3 times! Wheel speed for the win!

I love how scale this shot looks, also my buddy has the most bashed TRX4 Bronco lol.

Get home, jumping the edge of my driveway, land on right rear tire...bend axle. LOL
I did manage to nail a really sweet back flip.

Already straightened it out for now.

Vanquish or Locked UP Axle Shafts?

I'd get aluminum beeftubes too, but I plan on getting Currie F9's soon.

Also, what ring gear/spool mounting screws do I need to order for ones that aren't too long?

Last edited by angrchair; 04-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.
angrchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrchair View Post
Gears went in great. Had a lot of fun crawling, hill climbing, rock bouncing, and trailing today. 3S is sooo much fun, this thing can get some air!

My bomber survived 3 hours and 2 packs.

Finally made this hill climb after my 3rd time coming here. First time with the Castle setup, made it up 3 times! Wheel speed for the win!

Vanquish or Locked UP Axle Shafts?

I'd get aluminum beeftubes too, but I plan on getting Currie F9's soon.

Also, what ring gear/spool mounting screws do I need to order for ones that aren't too long?
M2 x 6 will fit nicely for the spools and ring gears. I am using the incision spools and gears with M2 x 6 screws.

ostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

I emailed freqeskinz about getting a custom livery made.

Does anyone know other options for getting custom graphics made? My idea is to do a livery inspired by an existing real life vehicle not bouncer related. I kinda want it to be a surprise but if I must divulge information oh well.
Not like I'm famous or well known or anything, just the wow factor.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

^^^ Check this thread:

Vinyl wraps
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Free mod, upgraded lanyard setup. Finally found my EVGA gaming lanyard, and scrounged up a velcro strap that had a ring on it.

F9's and Stage 1 kit should be here Wednesday.

Last edited by angrchair; 05-01-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

My $25 VP stage one kit arrived today, now just waiting for the axle housings and rear shafts from RPP
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Not exactly Bomber related but there are some Axial parts on it..over the weekend I was gifted a Team Associated TC3 chassis. I finished it up with spare Axial parts and a cheap RTR Associated motor Robinson Racing pinion 22t pinion. Still waiting on the shock rebuilt kit, they were WAAAASSTEEDDD.
This held me over on my boredom most of the week waiting for my Vanquish Curries, so that was nice. Plus I have about $55 invested in the whole car. Still need a body though.

It drifts pretty good on my hardwood floors in the kitchen.

Last edited by angrchair; 05-02-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

ok legit Bomber update:

I bought that inexpensive Kobalt toolkit, but the 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 metric drivers are garbage, they are undersized. Do not recommend, I will be returning it.

Vanquish parts parts arrived! Got the rear 3rd member partly assembled before work today.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #70
RCC Addict

God i wish i had more money to put into my build

Old 05-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
God i wish i had more money to put into my build

I wish I had your building skills and customization skills, I love your panels and the custom stuff you did with the styrene.

Besides, I'm spending money on this that I should be using for remodeling my house LOL but I'm the only one who lives here and has to look at it, so it's not a priority.

Last edited by angrchair; 05-03-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #72
RCC Addict

I didn't use styrene, wrong guy!

Old 05-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I didn't use styrene, wrong guy!

Right guy, just wasn't styrene. What ever you used to make your front inner fender wells, and the rear extra panels, guess it is like .040 lexan like the bomber body is made of. Really love the rock guards you made for the underside, I bought the steel ones from scalerfab

Last edited by angrchair; 05-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Oh yeah these are #fastpanels by Wayne Kent.
He makes multiple parts and you Pick and choose a Kit.

But I did one hell of a first time paint job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrchair View Post
Right guy, just wasn't styrene. What ever you used to make your front inner fender wells, and the rear extra panels, guess it is like .040 lexan like the bomber body is made of.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh yeah these are #fastpanels by Wayne Kent.
He makes multiple parts and you Pick and choose a Kit.

But I did one hell of a first time paint job!

Oh sweet, I was planning on getting clear bomber panels for a custom paint job. I would love to have the fender wells to keep debris out of the chassis.

I'm going to pick up a stock interior panel soon. I have the helmet/heads but not the stock interior panel piece.

I wish onetoomanyrc light bars would be in stock for the one I want. Been patiently waiting.

Also want window nets but I can't find ones I like, ucfab made the cool ones but no longer available.

Last edited by angrchair; 05-03-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Only could make it so far today. I'll post up more pictures of the build process later.

I didn't realize the Pro-Line tops don't fit regular shock balls :/ Called my LHS to see what he can come up with.

Last edited by angrchair; 05-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Pro-line sells a kit for that:

Pro-Line PowerStroke SC Universal Shock Mounting Kit

Kinda sucks that they don't come set up for mounting on everything...

Your chassis is looking FINE, my man!

Last edited by durok; 05-04-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Pro-line sells a kit for that:

Pro-Line PowerStroke SC Universal Shock Mounting Kit

Kinda sucks that they don't come set up for mounting on everything...

Your chassis is looking FINE, my man!
Yeah they didn't have that kit in stock, but funny enough, he gave me 4 of those mounts just like the ones the kit comes with so, same difference.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Long post incoming:

Thursday;

Full Vanquish Currie F9's are built:
Front: 38/13 incision gear set and spool, Vanquish VVD shafts
Rear: 43/13 incision gear set and spool, and Vanquish rear axle shafts

I took my time with these, hand tightened everything with blue thread lock. I built the rear first. It took maybe 2 hours including tear down of the stock axle for the bearings and differential. I used my blue o-rings on every link point, I really like the way it feels and I think it looks scale, like blue poly bushings.

The front went a little faster at first, but setting up the c-hubs and knuckles took awhile, I think this one took me 3 hours. I'm sort of sad that the kit didn't come with stainless screws to attach the c-hubs....it came with everything else. I also tried the reverse servo mount trick but my arm made contact with the diff housing, so I had to put it back to normal.

so beefy, much wow

while I had the Bomber apart I upgraded to a 64 tooth Axial steel spur gear. It's noisy as heck not sure it's for me.

Friday I picked up my shocks from the LHS.

I got the truck together, the rear sway bar was binding up and hitting the chassis when mounted on the axle, so I had to move it to the upper mounting position for the trailing arms no big deal. Much better.

I also had to trim the rear sway bar mounting tabs off for axle clearing, as it was limiting range of motion by contacting the truss.

I got everything together, took it for a test drive in the house, I was hearing awful grinding noises and I thought I had my spur/pinion mess off or something even though I was super super OCD about it. Tore truck all the way back apart, only to realize it was my shift servo being slightly out of adjustment after being disassembled, set new end points, and issue resolved.

After some drop tests, lots of squat eye-balling, flexing, twisting, etc. I have decided that the Pro-Line Powerstroke Slash rear shock set springs were a little too stiff for the front and too soft for the rear, I picked up a spring set today. I went one step softer primary and secondary in the front(these are rear springs afterall) and one step stiffer in the rear primary and secondary. I'm sure more tuning will have to be done once I drive it some. With the out of package spring setup the front didn't sag one bit, and the rear was really soft. I'm running 30wt oil all around.
Front: blue/green
rear: yellow/red

Also, what ever foams are in these these tires have met their weight limit and them some, the tires are just squatting so bad. I think I will pick up some CI double duece mediums for the front and firms for the rear, probably get some Chanquish wheels(but I really want bronze colored wheels with black rings) and some different tires to try out, not real sure what tires yet. Something more rock racer and less pure crawler, that way I can still have these super soft crawler ones. I haven't tried the stock RTR bomber tires yet either.

I think I might pull my cage apart and paint it silver to match the axles. What is a good paint to use?

The rig has picked up some noticeable weight, that is for sure, but its all low COG and un-sprung which should really help with stability over-all. Along with the steel skid AMF skid plate and Scalerfab rock sliders, and the steel winch mount plate up front, it's pretty heavy, I wish I had a scale but I don't.

Yawn.

Last edited by angrchair; 05-07-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

You could try out Rust-Oleum "painters Touch "2X" UltraCover paint - it's paint and primer in one and says on the can that it bonds to plastic, for indoor or outdoor use - so it should be reasonably durable.

You WILL be touching it up fairly often after big tumbles, though. But - you could just use a silver paint pen for that!

I'm about to build a heavyweight Bomber as well - using a mix of SSD axle housings and some Vanquish parts - and my hard GMade springs just got lost in the damn mail!

Last edited by durok; 05-07-2018 at 01:11 AM.

My Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help with Bomber Build Digs1111 Newbie General 7 09-03-2017 01:40 PM
Bomber Build Need Help CmdrSmushy Axial RR10 Bomber 7 12-27-2016 11:05 AM
Bomber Build bignheavy1007 Axial RR10 Bomber 4 09-28-2016 01:18 PM
Bomber Build bombardorphil@gmail. Axial RR10 Bomber 1 03-08-2016 10:58 AM
My Bomber build bredmx Axial RR10 Bomber 8 12-28-2015 11:51 AM