Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Finally ordered a Bomber kit from my LHS!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

Default Finally ordered a Bomber kit from my LHS!!!

I finally ordered a Bomber kit from my LHS after lusting after many of the the Bomber builds on this site for the last couple years.

Sorry to disappoint anyone, this will be a pretty basic (budget?) build to start.

Initially I was going to do a complete ground up custom bolt on parts build (like I did with my SCX10 II), but decided it was more economical to just buy the complete kit since I will be using most of the parts long term or until they break.

The only parts I currently plan on adding to the stock kit are the following:

Vanquish Motor Mount
Vanquish Motor Cam
Vanquish Servo Mount
Vanquish Servo Clamps
Vanquish Brass Pivot balls (since I hate loose balls)
Misc Traxxas rod ends of various sizes for the brass balls
Robinson Racing 64t Gen3 Steel Spur
Robinson Racing Absolute 12t pinion
Hobbywing 1080 esc
Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 550 21t
SSD 2.2 D Hole beadlocks black (bought these as brand new open package for half price!)

I still need to buy a servo and a radio since I traded my Radiolink RC4G off with a vehicle recently. I was thinking of getting the RC6G and undecided on the servo.

Any reason not to use the stock bearings and wheel foams until they wear out or I get sick of them? Anything else I might be overlooking for an initial durability basic build?

Also, in JatoTheRipper's Bomber build thread XSRCdesign mentioned that the following x-rings would prevent the stock shocks from leaking but the part/size wasn't confirmed. Anyone know if this is the correct size?

Shock X rings: Mcmaster carr part number 1200N146 2 mm Wide, 3 mm ID (3mm ID X 7mm OD) $9.14 qty 10

I am looking forward to building, running, upgrading this thing!

Last edited by Achilles Fender; 01-04-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Achilles Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Finally ordered a Bomber kit from my LHS!!!

For servo I run a ProModeler 470, I mostly trail run and I've never needed more torque, granted I use a 16mm servo arm which makes actual torque 1.7x what it would be with a one inch horn (I run mine on 7.4v out of the BEC on my 1080, which makes it put out 440 oz-in, so in actual practice it puts out 748 oz of torque)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited by MasteroFlego; 01-04-2019 at 02:08 PM.
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I run a holmes Hobbies shv500v2, awesome servo but pricey. I like it because it runs directly on 2s to 4s, no need for any BEC.

I would suggest you get a set of fast eddy bearings, the axial bearings are not all shielded so if you run into water it might rust.

Also what's the advantage of a steel spur? I have one but it's still in the part bag.

If you don't like the stock king shocks, look at the Gmade XD 103mm. It's cheap at 25$ a pair and they take the traxxas xrings.
The bore is bigger than the kings and they are black which is a bonus over blue for some paintjobs

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Also what's the advantage of a steel spur? I have one but it's still in the part bag.
The Robinson Racing Gen 3 Steel Spur/Slipper is supposed to be essentially bulletproof and should outlast the vehicle. Also. I noticed a lot of wobble in many of the stock Axial spurs that is taken care of by this part.

I also forgot to mention I have a Team KNK stainless hardware kit for it too.

The Holmes Hobbies and Promodeler servos recommended a lot because they are good. Just wondering if there is something in the $70-$80 range since I'm not that hard on servos (generally speaking) and $100 for a servo seems like a lot for a vehicle that will be used 80% trail running and 20% rock crawling.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Fender View Post
The Robinson Racing Gen 3 Steel Spur/Slipper is supposed to be essentially bulletproof and should outlast the vehicle. Also. I noticed a lot of wobble in many of the stock Axial spurs that is taken care of by this part.

The Holmes Hobbies and Promodeler servos recommended a lot because they are good. Just wondering if there is something in the $70-$80 range since I'm not that hard on servos (generally speaking) and $100 for a servo seems like a lot for a vehicle that will be used 80% trail running and 20% rock crawling.
Servos are the one area you shouldn't cheap out on, a good one is expensive but it is very much worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I also recommend some CI foams to really make the Bomber perform at its best - even though I have multiple wheel and tire sets, on dry rocky terrain the kit tires work quite well with CI Double Deuce foams wrapped around a set of cheap beadlocks.

You could get away with picking up a cheap $18 DS3218 or $25 DS3218 Pro servo on Amazon for now (as good or better than pretty much anything under $50) and then decide on which of the pricier, longer lasting servos to pick up later.

They both come with aluminum servo horns and ship lightning fast - the Pro is a newer version and a fraction stronger and quicker...

Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-Waterp...rds=ds3218+pro

Standard:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-DS3218...3218+servo+180
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I also recommend some CI foams to really make the Bomber perform at its best - even though I have multiple wheel and tire sets, on dry rocky terrain the kit tires work quite well with CI Double Deuce foams wrapped around a set of cheap beadlocks.

Thanks!

What size (5.5" or 6") and model of CI foams for the stock tires? To be honest I have just been using the included stock foams in every tire I have ever bought -- blissfully ignorant as they say!

I forgot about the DS servos. I had one in my SCX10 and it seemed pretty strong for largish 1.9 tires not sure how long it would last with 2.2 tires but it might be good to start with. The kit isn't arriving until next week and I won't be buying the radio and servo until end of the month so no hurry I guess.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
RCC Addict

5.5 is good for the kit tires.
I would get medium front and firm rear

Old 01-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:

I run a Savox 1230sg zero complaints picked it up for $80

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
SubieSquirrelRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks!

What size (5.5" or 6") and model of CI foams for the stock tires? To be honest I have just been using the included stock foams in every tire I have ever bought -- blissfully ignorant as they say!

I forgot about the DS servos. I had one in my SCX10 and it seemed pretty strong for largish 1.9 tires not sure how long it would last with 2.2 tires but it might be good to start with. The kit isn't arriving until next week and I won't be buying the radio and servo until end of the month so no hurry I guess.
I have Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5 Comp Cut Inner / Medium Outers installed front and rear, no complaints...
Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I have Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5 Comp Cut Inner / Medium Outers installed front and rear, no complaints...
Same here
But for my set of MT/R I chose 6.0 medium front and firm rear

Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Same here
But for my set of MT/R I chose 6.0 medium front and firm rear

I'd bet that the RC4WD X2 SSS compound MT/R rubber is much softer than Axial R35 - and Axial ribbed the inner sidewall, making them fairly stiff.

(at least my 1.7" MT/Rs are extremely soft!)

But the weight of your rig and the terrain, and even the average temps when you run all will contribute.

Just don't get softs, or put softer in the rear than the front - you want the rear to resist squatting under acceleration when crawling.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #13

I finally picked up my Bomber kit from the LHS on Monday. Not sure what took so long since they normally get things in within 3 - 5 days and it wasn't back ordered.

So far I almost have the entire bottom chassis built (not including electronics.) Still waiting on a few parts to continue.

Not much to show that everyone hasn't seen 20X already here. It's a standard build so far with the following parts added so far.

Vanquish brass balls
Vanquish axle servo mount
Vanquish motor mount and motor cam
KnK stainless screw set

The one thing I will mention is that at step 10 in the manual it has you install some ball ends at the top of the shock mounts on the front axle after the knuckles are installed. I found it much easier to install these with the knuckles removed.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #14

Thought I would ask this question here rather than clutter up the board with another message thread.

I'm currently assembling the cage with stainless steel screws and I was wondering what people are using in place of the four (AXA 441) M3 X 30mm coarse threaded self tapping screws. Are they replacing them with the stainless M3 X 30mm fine threaded equivalent?

I can't figure out why Axial used coarse threaded screws in this area.

All I have left to do on the build is the following.

- Finish assembling the cage
- Assemble and install the shocks
- Paint the interior and body (I have some highly detailed heads I bought years ago I'm thinking of painting and adding.)
- Connect/solder the motor to the ESC
- Install electronics (Can't afford the radio and servo I want for a couple months so this will be on-hold until then)

Even though I do more lurking (and drooling over other peoples builds) due to time constraints, I reallly appreciate all the help and information this forum provides!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Yes you can use the fine thread screws

Same for the body panels, I used the team knk fine screws, they don't provide the coarse thread.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #16

Thanks! Mostly what I expected but I like to confirm things whenever I can. I'm still confused why Axial would even put 4 coarse threaded screws in the cage and two in the Spur cover when the rest of the kit is entirely fine threaded.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks! Mostly what I expected but I like to confirm things whenever I can. I'm still confused why Axial would even put 4 coarse threaded screws in the cage and two in the Spur cover when the rest of the kit is entirely fine threaded.
Axial's decisions don't always make sense.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #18

I got the shocks built but have not added oil yet still waiting on some rubber bushings for the top shock ends to replace the stock plastic kit shock mount inserts.

Don't know if anyone else does this, but when building shocks with green slime or similar grease I fully assemble the shocks and let them sit for a few hours to a day so the seals have time to swell and seat prior to adding oil. Also, when I start adding oil I initially only put a small amount in so if there is a leak I'm not wasting oil and it's easier to clean up the mess and re-seal.

I picked up the EXO radiator + light bar parts tree and started painting and started painting and modifying those in preparation of the DinkyRC Bomber Box I ordered.

Still need to solder the motor to the esc and waiting to have enough money for a good servo and radio.

Probably should take a picture or two even though it's not much different than any other Bomber someone has seen on here before.

As a side note, does anyone know currently what the average processing and shipping time is for DinkyRC? In all fairness I placed an order on Sunday 2/3 around 11:30pm and I'm guessing it is a side business.

Finally ordered a Bomber kit from my LHS!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally ordered a Yeti HDMM Axial Yeti 27 08-17-2015 05:29 AM
Kit Ordered, Parts Ordered, Suggestions??? OkinawaCrawler Tamiya XC/CC01 6 02-21-2014 09:52 AM
Finally ordered Venom Creeper snwchris Venom Creeper 9 08-24-2009 12:44 PM
Finally ordered wheels!!! robert97dodge Tires and Wheels 5 07-30-2008 06:18 AM
so i ordered it finally discgolferlee Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 07-17-2008 10:03 AM