Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber vs Yeti vs Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber vs Yeti vs Rock Rey

Those specification differences you list for the servos won't be noticeable in actual use - that's within the margin of error when taking measurements, or even variations between two identical model servos.

I would think you didn't lose anything by going with the Associated... perhaps a bit of water resistance - but manufacturers are always making "waterproof" claims for products that aren't...

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Those specification differences you list for the servos won't be noticeable in actual use - that's within the margin of error when taking measurements, or even variations between two identical model servos.

I would think you didn't lose anything by going with the Associated... perhaps a bit of water resistance - but manufacturers are always making "waterproof" claims for products that aren't...

Probably so. I’ll definately be returning the Savox. The wire is so short it won’t fit anything other than a Stampede 4x4 and I already have a servos for those
DeathVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathVirus View Post

I still have the Stampede 4x4 as our resident full-independent suspension setup but it’s a work in progress.. trying to make it more scale is tough when it wasn’t designed to be scale and I don’t want to copy Jang’s Chimera.
I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I wanted to offer a suggestion for the Pede. On mine I wanted a more scale-ish appearance, and I also wanted a more stable truck, so I converted over to a Slash chassis and used one of the Proline Silverado bodies. It's no scaler by any stretch, but it's got a more scale-ish appearance that I like. I also like the longer wheelbase.

Slashpede by jim85iroc, on Flickr

Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I wanted to offer a suggestion for the Pede. On mine I wanted a more scale-ish appearance, and I also wanted a more stable truck, so I converted over to a Slash chassis and used one of the Proline Silverado bodies. It's no scaler by any stretch, but it's got a more scale-ish appearance that I like. I also like the longer wheelbase.

Oh no problem. I appreciate the feedback and I like the look! Do you use it on trails?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Got a new battery for the Yeti and it gained 1.5mph! It’s amazing how much difference a good battery can make

Went to these from the Venom 3s 5000mah 35C
Old 06-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I just bought a second venom 3s 3300mah 35C...

Damn

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
I just bought a second venom 3s 3300mah 35C...

Damn

I have a few venoms and their internal resistance seems to be higher than other brands. I think that’s the biggest difference. These SMC batteries were only $37 so I got them. My Dynamite Reaction batteries have the lowest IR with only 4ohms total resistance (2,1,1). It makes a difference in punch too but they’re ~$100.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Yeah my zippy compact 2s are at 4 IR and the venoms are 7 and 9 with maybe 5 cycles in them

Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yeah my zippy compact 2s are at 4 IR and the venoms are 7 and 9 with maybe 5 cycles in them

Is there any performance difference between using Deans and XT60? I’ve read Deans can flow 50amp continuous vs XT60’s 60amp continuous amps but how much of a performance difference, if any, would that be?
Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #30
RCC Addict

I don't know about deans vs xt60 but i noticed à huge jump in performance on my yeti Jr when i went from the stock mini-plug to a xt30 / xt60 setup

Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't know about deans vs xt60 but i noticed à huge jump in performance on my yeti Jr when i went from the stock mini-plug to a xt30 / xt60 setup

Ok so there’s a marked difference here. Deans is only 50amps but Deans Ultra which comes Stock on the Yeti is rated 65amps- 5 higher than XT60. I think I’m good to go in that department.

I think I’ll mess with the timing to get a little more speed out of it. It still has room to go in terms of temps. I’ll do another speed run with higher timing and while I’m at it I’ll change the start power to “high” from “medium” to give it better low speed control. The battery can handle it. I’ll also lower the brakes down to 25% from 30% bc they’re still a bit too strong
Old 06-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

These days the main reason people are switching to XT60 from Deans is the ease of plugging and unplugging the connectors...

I personally also find them easier to solder up.

I use the AMASS XT60+, they have a nice protective sleeve:

Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #33
RCC Addict

I need to learn soldering...
It's my next short term goal for his hobby.
That weller W100 station is tempting

Old 06-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I've always been terrible at soldering, I have some tremors in my hands - but these two purchases helped a great deal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Ele...soldering+iron

Old 06-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

YouTube helps no end for soldering lessons I was absolutely woeful, heating the wrong thing, wrong temperatures, not doing the right thing at all then decided to educate myself and now it's pretty straightforward. This is the clip that did it for me, might help others; https://youtu.be/Y8ihAIoMP-Q

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I've always been terrible at soldering, I have some tremors in my hands - but these two purchases helped a great deal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Ele...soldering+iron

That looks neat. How do you use it? I’ve tried to learn how to weld and I was terrible. I’m a freight train conductor by trade though :-)

I found XT60 to be too snug. The Amass T-style is very easy to plug and unplug
Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

The block of aluminum has cut-outs for all common connector types and acts as a heatsink to help keep you from melting the connector when soldering.

Insert the connector and tighten the thumbscrew and then you have one hand free for applying the solder and another for the soldering iron.

There are a variety of these out there... and I like the soldering iron because it's got adjustable temperature control, I keep it low until I'm set to solder, then ramp it up for the task.

BTW - different brands of similar connectors are made to slightly different tolerances...

I've had very tight Deans (or Deans copies) but my AMASS XT60+ connectors are just right in their snugness.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathVirus View Post
Oh no problem. I appreciate the feedback and I like the look! Do you use it on trails?
No. The truck is a general basher. It's got a 1/8 scale 2650kv motor that I run on 3S. I've got it geared way down so it tops out around 35-40mph. Way too fast for a trail truck.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber vs Yeti vs Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey TIME MACHINE General Crawlers 27 11-20-2018 05:58 AM
Not to summon a storm, but I'm interested in the yeti KIT, considering the rock rey Spence Axial Yeti 12 04-18-2018 02:09 PM
Axial RR10 Bomber or Losi Rock Rey Poll? djmaincheese General Scale Talk 10 07-15-2017 03:17 AM
Yeti vs Rock Rey Rybroca Non Crawler RC's 121 04-19-2017 05:18 PM
Yeti or Rock Rey hozzerr1 Axial Yeti 43 04-15-2017 07:32 PM