Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My bomber kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Default My bomber kit build

Hey guys, this bomber kit version is my second hobby-grade RC, I started with an arrma senton 4x4 a couple months ago.

Building the kit was fun. I drove the kit stock for a while on a 21T brushed motor, 20 dollar amazon servo, CI double deuce firm foams, and 3s lipo, wasn't using a servo saver and stripped the servo gears in a few weeks.

Added a Holmes Hobbies ESC(had them solder all the connectors. awesome service), puller pro 3500kv brushless motor, SHV500 servo, vanquish motor mount and stage1 kit, and a kimbrough strong servo saver intended for nitro cars.

Then I broke two rod ends in the front lower links. Replaced with vanquish front lower titanium links. Added beef tubes to front axle.

Broke the rear driveshaft, replaced front and rear with supershafty/MIP. Added proline powerstroke slash shocks. Replaced the rest of the axial suspension link rod ends with traxxas rod ends, haven't broke any of those yet.

Had a lot more fun. Added a tiny little fire extinguisher and jack, painted the helmets and fuel cell lid.

I just had catastrophic failure of the servo saver.

Also sprung a leak in the bottom of my front axle.

But it's ok, I just got a box of vanquish parts. Going to put in an incision spool and fast eddy bearings while I'm in there.

Proline big hit servo saver and a losi servo horn are on the way now too.
BattleShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My bomber kit build

I like the way you started out mostly stock and then fixed what broke....keep up the good work
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

I have been through 4 servos up front. No servo saver, ever. The 4th servo has been going strong for a long time now, Savox SC-1268SG @6V and a heavy duty aluminum servo horn (screws to clamp on both sides of the servo gear, not just the side opposite the arm). I run 2.2's and Vanquish metal links as well.
broadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

Hehe, that's a lot of servos! I'm not racing or doing very technical crawling so I'd rather trade some steering feel for servo lifespan.

The big hit is overpriced at 40 bucks in my opinion. It turns the wheels with more authority in high traction surfaces than the kimbrough nitro version(8 bucks) I was using before, but feels the same at speed on dirt. It also does NOT come with the rod end and m3 long set screw. Good thing I'm at the point where I can say "Oh I just had some bits in the parts bin that fit." So if you hate money and are doing an even mix of crawling and bashing then I would recommend it. In any other situation you would probably be better off with either the kimbrough nitro version or no servo saver at all.

At first I switched out the vanquish axle into the front, but the beef tubes didn't fit in. Worse performance overall with the lighter front axle, it was fishtailing all over the place going fast, probably lack of front wheel traction. Switched the back and front axles, put beef tubes back in the front, and it's doing good again. Also took out the fuel cell for painting, switched the spare tire around to see how it handled. It doesn't change anything with how I drive so I'm gonna put the fuel cell back in after I paint it.

And decal'd up and installed new body panels. I drink a lot of this stuff Can't wait to go ding it up.

Last edited by BattleShrink; 06-17-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Rebuilt the shocks with 20wt and blue over blue springs in the front, 30wt and red over yellow springs in the rear. Changed to 11 tooth pinion. I was afraid the aluminum body panels would make it too top heavy, but it handles pretty well still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpFs_7lIrSY
Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Yep, took it to the skate park before work. Traction rolled a lot. Only broke a rod end in the front bottom link! Steering link rod ends are pretty worn out and sloppy too, need to replace those. And the shocks now need another rebuild haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkS4RQkRo_I&t=29s
Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

New SSD beadlocks, Proline Hyrax tires, and Proline dual stage foams. Much better traction on every surface. I probably do need the strength of the big hit servo saver with these beefy wheels/tires.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Man, those are some of the best-looking wheels out there...

And paired with the awesome Hyraxes - betcha yer rig is kickin' some tail!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I’m really digging that Walker Evans wheel design in black, toss up some more pics of them when you can. I’m having a hard decision between SSD and Vanquish wheels but seeing this wheel on a Bomber may have sealed the deal.

Here are the real wheels on Bomber Fabrications website.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #10

Cool, I didn't know these wheels were real. You also made me just realize the kit wheels are the same too, haha. My spare still works!

Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #11

I've been thinking that an unlocked front diff would be better for trail bashing, so I bought an SMT10 diff to try out.

I had to switch the factory ring gear with the one from my bomber, otherwise seems to be a direct fit. I kept the factory grease for now, didn't want to spend too much time in case the puller pro just explodes it. If it survives a couple of trail runs I'll check on it and switch out the grease hehe. After install, the front wheels spin smoothly in opposite directions manually so hopefully it will be ok.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Really like those wheels
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #13

I kind of like the open front diff for trail running, but it definitely can't crawl anymore. The steering is just better, it's easier to keep in the center of the trail and have it going where I want it to go. After the run, front diff is still smooth if I spin it by hand and no crunchy noises so I guess that's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgokSj_sOBs

Probably going to try underdrive gears in the rear after a few more runs.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #14

I'm not sure how underdriving the rear with an open front diff is going to work out. I think it could make the vehicle pull erratically based on which front tire has grip.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

My bomber kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first RC kit build, the RR10 Bomber smack2006 Axial RR10 Bomber 23 06-04-2019 02:13 PM
Budget RC Bomber kit build Jim85IROC Axial RR10 Bomber 55 03-02-2018 12:57 AM
new bomber kit build (a problem) stump1 Axial RR10 Bomber 8 06-07-2017 07:07 PM
My Bomber kit build Iky104 Axial RR10 Bomber 34 12-13-2016 11:55 AM
Bomber Kit Build Project Planning bbos12 Axial RR10 Bomber 8 09-25-2016 12:19 AM