Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Budget bomber build servo poll.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Budget bomber build servo poll.

Building bomber kit right now. Semi budget build but may splurge a bit on servo.
Motor is holmes hobbies trailmaster 550 21t
Esc hobbywing 1080
Probably cc bec and run a 3s lipo.

Looking for servo suggestions. May splurge on a promodeler 470, holmes hobbies servo or savox 1230

Any decent budget servos out there? Any input on any servo appreciated. Been in this hobby a long time and I know you get what you pay for but now and then some budget gear comes along that's decent.
Thanks
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Budget bomber build servo poll.

Can't recommend any budget servos because I don't own any, but the ProModeler is a good choice, I have basically the same setup you do and I've never needed more power than this can give, and that's on 7.4v.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Pro modeler if you got the $$$, look at torque vs time specs, reliability, waterproof?, and cost.

I've run a savox 1283sg loved it broke the case internally.

Currently running a reefs trip 5 in my bomber now more torque than the savox but not the speed. Waterproof no complaints other than needing a radio to set end points.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"MIS-TAKEN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My build is exactly the same as yours for electronics and I decided to go all out on the servo. I got the Holmes hobbies shv500v2 and it's a Monster.
Plugged directly to 3s, no BEC to deal with, it will move the 2.2 tires like nothing, it's completely silent and I have yet to get it over ambient temperature...

Pay once, cry once. You won't need to replace it and they sell rebuild kits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

EDIT: I'm Likely off base with my comments below regarding Promodeler, I think I have got a bad one (which I will be sending back), I also have one that functions a lot better and doesn't stall quite so easily.

I'd caution against using a Promodeler, I've had issues with the 470 going limp when it gets loaded up, this happens on 3 separate 470's and one is in my Brother's Gom and he's complained about it going all soft too. Its truly a well built servo and I really want to like it but something in the programming is not working well with crawlers and especially 2.2 rigs. I've tested this with a BEC and straight off a 2S battery BTW.

I've broken a handful of the SHV550 V2's (and V1's) when bashing, the center pin is still a weak point in my experience but it is rebuildable. This servo lacks no power though and If you dont plan on bashing should be great.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The 1080 will do 7v.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Budget for me meant ebay special 20k. 20$. Not the fastest nor most powerful. But it does the job 85% of the time. Running cc bec haven’t turned up voltage yet but only see things getting better until it breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockwha? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Budget bomber build servo poll.

Decent cheap servo.

https://www.banggood.com/JX-Servo-CL...p-1154872.html

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Love my ProModeler s .
That said your looking to save a few$$, so look at the PMds360.
Not as much torque or speed or $$

$50.00

http://www.promodeler.com/DS360DLHV

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I guess I'm a servo snob these days. I don't use a servo rated for less than 500 oz so budget to me would be a G13 or Holmes since they're in the $100 range.

I really liked my promodler V4, it is still going strong on the rig I sold it with 2 years or so after buying it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Tell me what I missed on the specs. But the China one I listed has better TQ and speed than the Promodeler.

The China one.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

You miss the fact that China has little quality control and might be lying on specs without any kind of possible actions from the buyer.

Don't get me wrong, I buy chinesium parts from time to time, my yeti jr is decked out in GPM racing.
But you have to be ready to waste money. I had 2 parts plain wrong and not fit the yeti jr specs from GPM, they gave zero ****s...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I recommend the Savox 1230.
I have 4 of them and have never once had an issue.

One thing to get is a metal servo mount for the axle, the plastic one won't hold up for long with a servo that has some good power. I installed the one from Vanquish along with their servo clamps.

Servo Mount
Servo Clamp
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I like the idea of 500 oz, may look into that. $100~, thats pennies compared to R and D time and $$$$ for my build. Just seems that everything I build is based off theory in my head, so I cut corners on stuff I don't/can't actually make. Can someone tangibly explain the performance benefits of the brand name vs el cheapo, if the cheap one matched it's given specs? Rebuild kits are great, but I don't expect it to break in the first place. My go fast car has (had, put it in my Bomber) had the living crap beaten out of it for a few years, with many ~40 mph violent crashes. 300 something oz. Should have bought 50 of them, it doesn't die.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #15

Budget servos are great on 1.9 rigs that go slow. On a 2.2 rig that's going to see some higher speed impacts, the servo needs to be robust.

I run the Promodeler on my Bomber and I love it. In fact, I just bought another one for my Yeti build.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
You miss the fact that China has little quality control and might be lying on specs without any kind of possible actions from the buyer.
I had more than a few cheap China servos lose the ability to turn, center correctly, or develop uncontrollable twitching within the first few packs. They may run great while they do and the gears may hold up but getting a control board that will keep it running is hit or miss (at least I end up with plenty of servo winch building supplies).

Axle mounted servo + no servo saver + 2.2 tires + speed = hell on servos; save the hassle of multiple replacements and buy something good to start. I run a Promodeler 470 in my Bomber.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #17

Savox SC-1268SG here with a aluminum horn with two cinch screws. it's my 4th servo after upgrading to metal steering links, and oversized tires. Been working great. Should have bought this one right away instead of going through lesser upgrades.
broadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I've edited my post above about Promodeler, I think I might have gotten a bad one.

The whole cheap vs expensive argument boils down to this for me, if you end up needing to replacing a cheap item 2 or maybe 3 times you've already spent more than if you had just started with an expensive one. I do not cheap out on servos anymore and cant recommend it.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
I recommend the Savox 1230.
I have 4 of them and have never once had an issue.

One thing to get is a metal servo mount for the axle, the plastic one won't hold up for long with a servo that has some good power. I installed the one from Vanquish along with their servo clamps.

Servo Mount
Servo Clamp
I can't stand the noise of the savox, but I also can't argue the performance of it while wearing ear plugs. that being said, the advice with the mount and clamps is very very important with the 1230 and its plastic mounting ears. I've sheered my clean off. The 1231 end caps are identical although savox won't confirm that because the 1230 aren't available, but ask me how I know.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've edited my post above about Promodeler, I think I might have gotten a bad one.

The whole cheap vs expensive argument boils down to this for me, if you end up needing to replacing a cheap item 2 or maybe 3 times you've already spent more than if you had just started with an expensive one. I do not cheap out on servos anymore and cant recommend it.
I love cheap servos and use them whenever I can. Bombers and Yetis aren't places where that's really feasible though.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Budget bomber build servo poll. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FFWF's Budget Bomber Build F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. Axial RR10 Bomber 168 01-26-2021 01:28 PM
Budget RC Bomber kit build Jim85IROC Axial RR10 Bomber 55 03-02-2018 12:57 AM
Re: My so far Budget Bomber. Dr.Newb Axial RR10 Bomber 1 01-23-2018 01:04 AM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM