Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Questions and help with parts #1 servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 02:31 AM   #1

Default Questions and help with parts #1 servo

Hi,

I have a lot of questions about the Bomber and parts. Instead of opening one thread after another i am gonna use this one for all my questions.

Is this servo plug and play in combination with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC?
for 1/5,1/8 RC #B3 (FREE SHIP), ,(B3) by Power HD 6.0-7.4V Super Brushless Servos 0.13sec/416.6oz-in/30kg-cm

Last edited by CrawlingDutchman; 10-29-2018 at 12:33 PM.
CrawlingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Questions and help with parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingDutchman View Post
Hi,

I have a lot of questions about the Bomber and parts. Instead of opening one thread after another i am gonna use this one for all my questions.

Is this servo plug and play in combination with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC?
for 1/5,1/8 RC #B3 (FREE SHIP), ,(B3) by Power HD 6.0-7.4V Super Brushless Servos 0.13sec/416.6oz-in/30kg-cm
Any servo will work with any ESC in theory. As they will both plug into your receiver. Are you meaning will it power it? Or will you need an external BEC? I would suggest that it'll work, but it'd work better with a BEC.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
Any servo will work with any ESC in theory. As they will both plug into your receiver. Are you meaning will it power it? Or will you need an external BEC? I would suggest that it'll work, but it'd work better with a BEC.

Thanks for the reply
I did indeed wanted to know if it would work out of the box straight into the receiver.
Why does a servo work better when it uses a external bec? My esc has an interal bec if i am correct, is that different from a external bec? If so, why?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingDutchman View Post
Thanks for the reply
I did indeed wanted to know if it would work out of the box straight into the receiver.
Why does a servo work better when it uses a external bec? My esc has an interal bec if i am correct, is that different from a external bec? If so, why?
So done servos are more powerful than others. I thought your question was asking if that specific servo would draw too much power and cause glitching or brown out. The esc you have does have an internal Bec, all esc's do. But built in BEC's, especially in cheaper esc's are usually only a few amp, non switching BEC's meaning that they will power the servo, but a power hungry servo may cause issues when it draws power at the same time as the throttle does - this is usually when you will see the glitch or brown out.
This can be fixed or avoided by installing an external BEC like the commonly used Castle 10amp. It will provide the power for your servo and can be run through a harness that will bypass your receiver. That will provide smooth constant steady reliable power to your servo and you'll never consider running without one again
Unless you buy a newer, extensive esc like the Mamba X which has an internal 8amp BEC that for most applications will not require an external BEC.

byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnieman View Post
So done servos are more powerful than others. I thought your question was asking if that specific servo would draw too much power and cause glitching or brown out. The esc you have does have an internal Bec, all esc's do. But built in BEC's, especially in cheaper esc's are usually only a few amp, non switching BEC's meaning that they will power the servo, but a power hungry servo may cause issues when it draws power at the same time as the throttle does - this is usually when you will see the glitch or brown out.
This can be fixed or avoided by installing an external BEC like the commonly used Castle 10amp. It will provide the power for your servo and can be run through a harness that will bypass your receiver. That will provide smooth constant steady reliable power to your servo and you'll never consider running without one again
Unless you buy a newer, extensive esc like the Mamba X which has an internal 8amp BEC that for most applications will not require an external BEC.

Thank you for the info! Learned something!

But with the newly gained knowledge rises the question that you innitialy thought i was asking, hahaha.
So, can i use the PowerHD B3 servo in combination with the Hobbywing Quickrun 1080 ESC without the problems of a ‘brownout’?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I run a 1080 with a ProModeler DS470 in my bomber, and I've never had a problem, and that servo does 440 oz-in (@7.4v)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You need to check if that servo maker has a teck support and find out what the locked up amp draw is. Then check if your Esc can handle that amp load.. if not you will deed a BEC. If the ESC maker has a good tech support and you let them know what servo you are using they will let you know weather you will need a Bec due to the amp draw of that servo..... and remember bombers are servo killers so get the toughest one you can afford and make sure you check the availability of servo replacement gears of the servo you go with.....��

Last edited by samaruki; 10-29-2018 at 09:41 AM.
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

Thank you all for the info!

I will check if my electronics combo will work properly with the PowerHD B3.
Of course i have another question
- If i use a servo that can operate directly from my LiPo, how do i connect it to the LiPo?
- How will the servo get the right amount of power....does it just ‘take’ what it needs?
- Are there downsides to these servo’s?
- Anything else that i need to know about servo’s that connect directly to a LiPo?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Go to your local hobby shop they should be able to help you with how to connect shoulder it into your rig and set your new Bec to the proper voltage...a good local hobby shop should be able to answer all of these ??? For you and guide you through connecting/solderin everything up....or you can have them do the soldering for you...should be no or small fee if you buy the stuff from them....

Search Google for.....castle BEC and look at the wiring diagram to see how you need to connect it up or search on U-tube for a how to on wiring up a BEC...LOVE utube for this kind of stuff ....

Last edited by samaruki; 10-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Questions and help with parts #1 servo

Get on Facebook and see if you have a rc user group near you...wealth of information from fellow rc folks
Old 10-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #11

Thanks samaruki!

My three sources of information are this forum, google and youtube. This forum is a great platform because you can actually talk to people that are into the same thing as you, wich is exactly the whole point of a forum. Another reason to gather my info here instead of my local hobby shop is that they only advise you on stuff that they sell, and that is not good enough for me. The whole facebook/social media thing is not my thing. I have no facebook, twitter, instagram and so on. I just don’t want to spend my time on them.
Yes, the soldering thing....i think it’s about time that i buy a good soldering kit and learn how to do that properly. What the guy at the hobbyshop can do, i can do. Plus, i will be saving some money in the long run.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

One thing I haven't seen anybody else mention is what reciever are you using as I know rtr reciever is not rated for 7.2v.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroDarwin View Post
One thing I haven't seen anybody else mention is what reciever are you using as I know rtr reciever is not rated for 7.2v.
The TR325 that comes in all Axials these days is rated for 7.0v, mine takes 7.4 without complaint.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

HW1080 BEC is rated for 3A, in case you haaven't found that info yet
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Ummmm, isn't that a 1/5 scale servo?

Isn't a 1/5 scale servo much larger than a standard servo?

Doesn't that mean it's case won't fit into a stock bomber mount without major modding?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Ummmm, isn't that a 1/5 scale servo?

Isn't a 1/5 scale servo much larger than a standard servo?

Doesn't that mean it's case won't fit into a stock bomber mount without major modding?
Check the dimensions on the page op posted, it's standard 1/10 servo dimensions

Old 11-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #17

Thanks everybody for the reply’s and the gained knowledge!

I have a FlySky GT3b with the flysky FS-GR3E 3 receiver.

Specs of the receiver;

1 Channels: 3 Channels;
2 Model type: car/boat;
3 RF receiver sensitivity: -105dbm;
4 Modulation: GFSK;
5 System type: AFHDS;
6 Sensitivity: 1024;
7 Failsafe: yes (channel 2);
8 Bind port: yes (channel 3);
9 Power port: yes (VCC)
10 Power: 4-11V DC;
11 Weight: 5g;
12 ANT length: 26mm;
13 Size: 37.6*22.3*13mm;

To be honest, it is all new to me. I have almost no knowledge about the elektronics and it’s specifics. Does it take servo’s up to 11V?

Last edited by CrawlingDutchman; 11-02-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Questions and help with parts #1 servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parts questions RCCasper Axial Wraith 1 10-23-2016 11:22 AM
SSD Parts Questions slapjack Axial Wraith 3 05-11-2016 01:20 PM
All of my questions regarding what parts to get... Rudukai13 Axial Yeti 36 11-22-2014 01:21 PM
Honcho vs. Dingo and parts questions fiveo Axial SCX-10 16 06-25-2010 05:16 PM
tr questions (parts) mtnbiker93 Axial SCX-10 1 11-23-2009 07:45 AM