Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber

Last year at Axialfest '16 the "Ultra" class was ran a bit differently than past years. Instead of running out on the usual trails with the "Adventure" drivers, last year the Ultra class had it's own dedicated trail and event. Ultra drivers would run 1 trail with multiple laps covering the distance of a normal 5k marathon, hence the partnership with "Altra" running. The new format also spawned a race series "Scale Ultra" with the final race of the series being Axialfest 2017
(more info on Altra can be found here www.altrarunning.com)

This format would allow the Ultra drivers to have their race without navigating "Adventure" traffic, and Adventure drivers weren't getting run over by the faster "Ultra" drivers and rigs. Once the "Altra" Ultra event was finished the Ultra drivers could then grab their "Adventure" rigs and join their friends and family out on the normal Adventure trails for some slower paced fun.

With the creation of the new "Scale Ultra" series I have decided to build a rig dedicated to the series and this type of competition. This rig will likely see many changes and upgrades as I figure out what is needed to build a competitive vehicle for this type of driving. Along the way I plan to document the changes and upgrades along with the cost of the rig and upgrades. I will also try document runs on the vehicle, such as events, and practice runs, etc.

IMO the obvious choice of this type of competition is none other than the Axial RR10 Bomber. I believe this platform is the perfect balance of speed for the fast more level sections of the course along with having the crawlability to navigate the more technical sections of the course.

I'm going to start with an RR10 Bomber kit. The included upgrade parts in the "Kit" version are essential to building a rig reliable enough to survive a 5k endurance race. I will be adding some additional upgrades to further expand the reliability, durability, and performance before the rigs first event, which just so happens to be this Saturday (4/8/17) at Sand Hollow in St George.

All the specs will be posted in this first post
Anyway I hope some of you follow along and lets see where this build takes us.

$360 - Vehicle: Axial RR10 Bomber "kit"
$215 - Tekin RX4
$150 - Tekin Pro4 HD 3500kv
$240 - Futaba BLS177HV

Upgrade list w/ pricing
$38 - VP Incision Spools x2
$35 - BeefTubes Brass front
$35 - BeefTubes Alum rear
$57 - Axial Alum Mtr Plate
$17 - Axial Alum Slipper plates
$14 - VP Alum Servo horn
$50 - Axial Alum C-hubs
$43 - Axial Alum Knuckles
$120 - VP Method 105 Wheels x2
$30 - VP 475 hubs x2
$30 - CI Dual Stage Foams x2
$7 - Wraith Link Mounts (front, inverted)
$110 - Proline ProSpec Shocks (front & rear)
$10 - Axial Radiator
$53 - Axial Icon Shocks (secondary bypass, none functional)

Current Running Cost
$1604

Events/Trails:
Destination/Dificulty/Damage (I'll list distance and time when applicable)
Scale Ultra Red Rock 5K: Medium, Rod end, 2.0miles, 35:24min
Lil Moab Test Day: Hard, 2 Rod ends
801rcc Stateline 400: Medium, No Damage 1.1mile 32.19min
Granite Flats Trail: Medium, No Damage, 2.2miles, 40min
Lil Moab Test Day: Hard, 1 Rod end
801rcc SRS Grand Prix: Medium, No damage, .9miles, 25.57min

Here is where we are at so far
I know its not much so far, but we'll be adding more goodies later this week.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 06-12-2017 at 03:04 PM.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber

Very nice! I caught the Altra 5K bug at KOH this year and have since redone my bomber to be legal. Mr. Rivas Concepts himself said it was designed to be a RR10 Bomber spec class, so you've made a good choice.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

This will be an interesting thread to follow. Look forward to your progress
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Nice! What tire are you going to start with? A Pro-Line tire or try the BFG's for a while?
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You've got a lot of work to do before Saturday...
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Nice! What tire are you going to start with? A Pro-Line tire or try the BFG's for a while?
I'm going to start with the Axial BFG's for now. I'm a big fan of the scale look of the Axial BFG's and the R35 compound tires are top of the game when it comes to traction. I know that BIG tires are more popular currently so I may change them up later if I feel the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
You've got a lot of work to do before Saturday...
Yeah tell me about it.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 04-05-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

First round of Upgrades came in yesterday. Looks like I've got wrenching to do.

First items to get thrown it are Incision Spools from Vanquish. Although the stock locker would hold up very well with stock or mild power systems, with the power system I have planned for this rig, I don't think it would last very long. So we'll get this taken care of early on in the build.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 04-05-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Still working with the axle internals, next up are BeefTubes!!

I opted for the Brass up front and Alum for the rear. The brass will add a little bit of weight to the front to help gain grip for the more technical sections of the course, and help prevent me from damaging the axle housing in case I'm "over driving" the car (which I've been known to do occasionally) While the alum in the rear will give me the strength with minimal added weight to the back. I do plan to run the spare tire which will help balance the car out and help with rear traction along with keeping the rear of the vehicle planted.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 04-05-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Nice man! I like your background setup. Makes it look real scale. Very cool!!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Next round of upgrades from Axial arrived yesterday.
Hope to have them installed later tonight, as I only have 2 days before this rigs maiden run.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
RCC Addict

More goodies for the rig!!

Lets get some rubber underneath this thing.

So for grip I'm going go with the Axial BFG Baja T/A. I've ran these in the past and the grip out of these is phenomenal. To help firm up the tires and keep them from rolling in the corners at speed, I filled them with Crawler Innovations 5.5 foams.

No skimping out in the wheel department. This rig is getting the best you can buy, Vanquish Products Method 105's. These are my favorite wheel on the market. I love the look of these wheels and they hold a bead fantastic along with being one of the easiest sets of wheels to mount. The VP wheels will also allow me to adjust the width of the rig. I'm going to start with the 475 hubs, then adjust if necessary.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
RCC Addict

now for the expensive parts..... Electronics

I'm going for Tekin for the power system so I picked up one of their new RX4 ESC's and I'm matching it with the Pro4HD 3500kv (I know the motor is a bit over the specs for the RX4, but I'm going to try it anyway)

The servo takes more abuse than any other component on the car so I spared no expense and picked up the Futaba BLS177HV..... Ouch!!

I also made a little mount for the ESC out of some carbon fiber I had laying around.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Glad I found your thread T$... Always so fresh and so clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #14

Very clean looking Bomber so far. I like it. The carbon fiber plate is very nice. It's all in the details. And your garage is cool too.

The stock tires will hold you back IMO. Axial needs a new rubber compound.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very clean looking Bomber so far. I like it. The carbon fiber plate is very nice. It's all in the details. And your garage is cool too.

The stock tires will hold you back IMO. Axial needs a new rubber compound.
I've tested the Axial R35 compound against almost every other tire compound on the market and I would say for grip they are top of the game. The only thing holding back the Axial tires is their size, most of the industry (for rock racing) is running larger rubber.

The smaller tire diameter was noticeable over the weekend (as my other rig is on Proline Hyraxs) but after the first lap I just knew to hit the obstacles with a bit more momentum. It wasn't detrimental but noticeable. I will likely switch to a larger tire in the near future.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
I've tested the Axial R35 compound against almost every other tire compound on the market and I would say for grip they are top of the game.
Really? I would adamantly disagree with that statement. I think R35 is harder than ProLine and Pit Bull compounds. But hey, whatever works for you!

I don't mind the size of the Axial tires. I think tire sizes are getting out of hand. A Bomber is not supposed to be monster truck. And if you make the tires too large it takes away some of the challenge.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
RCC Addict

So I snapped a few pics before we headed down to St George of some of the upgrades as I was installing them.
(I'll post pics from the event once I get a chance to go through them)

Old 04-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
So I snapped a few pics before we headed down to St George of some of the upgrades as I was installing them.
(I'll post pics from the event once I get a chance to go through them)
Those are some nice looking knuckles you have there!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Scale Ultra "Red Rock 5k" Race Report

So I was able to get the rig up and running just hours before the event. The rig ran very well for being just factory setup. I was able to run the full race without any issues or failures. The only thing holding me back was,..... Myself.

I need to be in better physical shape to be more competitive for this type of event. My pace was very fast during the first half of the race but I wasn't able to maintain that speed. So as the race went on my pace slowed, eventually dropping me into a 5th place finish. I'm very happy with my finish but would definitely like to be faster.

After the event we spent the afternoon testing the new rig, focusing mostly on suspension. At the end of the day I did have a rodend failure. I was running the car extremely hard and had a ton of big air jumps. I was planning on doing the budget fix and just replace the rodend, but with rodends being on backorder I'll likely have to "upgrade" to aftermarket links.

Things I noticed and will possibly change or address:

Front shocks: The front shocks felt a bit on the heavy side. While landing jumps or hitting bumps at speed the front would buck. I would like to have a bit more dampening from the shock and possibly a lighter spring to help soak up the bumps and jumps.

Tires: I did notice the rig dragging a bit on the rocks. The Axial BFGs are a bit smaller than the tires on my old rig. I don't know that I'll change these, it was just something that was noticeable compared to me other Bomber

ESC: The Tekin RX4 performed fine with out any issues and ran perfect for the race with the setup I had programmed into it. But once we slowed down and were just playing I found I wanted to have more drag brake. Of course you can adjust this with the Hot Wire but it would be nice to make this adjustment on the fly.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Pics From the Scale Ultra "Red Rock 5k"

These last two photos were taken by Justin Lunceford (thanks)

Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Beastly Beauty" - 2.2 Ultra 4 Rig Nova's Ark 2.2 Scale Rigs 64 02-17-2017 10:06 AM
RR10 "Tie" Bomber woody131 Axial RR10 Bomber 17 08-07-2016 04:50 PM
The ultra compact driveshaft " Real Constant Velocity " maduff Tools, and Procedures 15 01-17-2015 09:36 PM