Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber Crawler Refurb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bomber Crawler Refurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Crawl only, no bashing? Otherewise you'll be breaking stuff. Trying to think of the guy who did a scratch build TT doing this and it wasted the housing. Link needs to be double shear to live. I run the 1415 in mine, wish it were sensored. Castle link programming may help there.
Yeah, crawl only. It probably will be geared for ~8mph. I'm hoping the torsion from the long outboard lever won't be too bad. The BP Custom servo on axle mount will probably help at the front, I wonder if some sort of truss can be made for the rear.

Also, my motor is sensored.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Project update Post #2

I received, built, and installed my new shocks, the other day. Gmade XD Piggyback, 93mm front and 103mm rear. I also went ahead and got some hard springs for them in anticipation of the weight of this truck when it's finished.

I also put 40w oil in the front with 4-hole pistons and 50w with 2-hole pistons in the rear. Suspension action feels very nice and I think I have plenty of up-travel with the shorter shocks up front. I also really like how the reservoirs peek out of the rear side panels.

A friend recently gave me a screaming deal on a 2-3 pack old Mamba X with a 1415 2400kV sensored motor, so I put it in. It should be great for 3s, I suppose. I definitely intend to go 4s, though.

And then it goes in this (along with 4s)...

Last edited by elRayRay; 03-18-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRayRay View Post
Yeah, crawl only. It probably will be geared for ~8mph. I'm hoping the torsion from the long outboard lever won't be too bad. The BP Custom servo on axle mount will probably help at the front, I wonder if some sort of truss can be made for the rear.

Also, my motor is sensored.
As far as a truss team knk ar44 axle truss, might be a option, comes in brass or aluminum seen someone else ask about it so I looked it up.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroDarwin View Post
As far as a truss team knk ar44 axle truss, might be a option, comes in brass or aluminum seen someone else ask about it so I looked it up.
Yeah, I've looked at the KNK trusses. The thing I like about the BP Customs mount is that it ties into both screws on each link mount. It seems like it would offer a bit more support. I definitely like the idea of the brass truss, though.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #25

I've got the BP mount on mine good quality mount.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #26

have you decide where to put the ESC on

iPhone Tapatalk
willjayyujun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjayyujun View Post
have you decide where to put the ESC on

iPhone Tapatalk
It's probably going to get mounted under the dash. I'm also considering putting it on the Wertymade winch plate if I can mount the winch further forward on the plate.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Slow progress over the last 2 months due to finances. Things should be back on track soon enough, though. I've got a new set of wheels, a slipper eliminator, and a bunch of scale hardware coming from Locked Up RC.

There's still a lot of money to spend on this project, and I think I have a name for it...The Bawleur. The "B" is for the Bomber platform, the "awl" part for the crawler-focused intent, and the "-eur" ending comes from bicycle building when someone builds a no-expense-spared bike and calls it a "balleur build" to bring in a French (as in Tour de France) influence.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

nice build! what sway bar is that?
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
nice build! what sway bar is that?
Thanks! It's coming together slowly, but nicely. Sway bar is from J.E.C. Racing...same as the trailing arms.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Cool thanx for the info, I guess JEC doesn't make them any more?
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Cool thanx for the info, I guess JEC doesn't make them any more?
I think he's been out of stock for a while. Try emailing him. Easy guy to deal with and I've got 2 pairs of trailing arms, the anti-roll bar, and rear shock mounts from him. I'm planning on getting some trailing arms for my Baja Rey eventually.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Short update with big news.

I've been pretty dormant on the R/C front for a bit. By late Spring, a Winter of unemployment finally caught up. I've now got a pretty awesome job, a little over 4 months now. New living situation with more room and a shorter (bike) commute to work. Finance department is on the mend, but still tight for now.

Anyway, enough about me. The Bawleur is set for a big change. I've been trying to get the tire clearance issue sorted. I was thinking about the SSD portal conversion (still am) or XR-width AR44's. I have decided to go with another option...a custom cage!

I found a builder on IG that said they would build me one out of scrap 1/4" x .020 316 stainless tubing that I can get from work. This will definitely be a one-of-a-kind rig! We'll be able to get the suspension geometry dialled and adjustable, integration of a servo winch, maybe CMS, and we'll be trying to use my existing panels and putting a new design on the rest of the cage.

Progress!

Last edited by elRayRay; 09-02-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Nice. The only thing better than the story is building the chassis yourself. Keep us posted.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Nice. The only thing better than the story is building the chassis yourself. Keep us posted.
Hopefully, I'll dive into cage building for the Baja Rey. But that's after the ramp truck gets built, I think.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Wheels acquired! I'm not going to reveal them until the project is finished, though...they will be something special. Most likely going with MT/R's for rubber.

*edit* Just ordered a bunch of parts. Tires, front driveshaft, servo connectors (for getting wiring tucked away), SSD gears/lockers (OD front), foams, and steering links.

As soon as I get the cage back, I'll get the interior fit and pull the trigger on some of the electronics...anyone have a Reef's discount code?

Last edited by elRayRay; 10-13-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I built the wheels up on some nice wide wheels with scale hardware (short a dozen screws) and the DW foams with an inner tuning ring cut down to ~3.5"...looking pretty plump.

I still need to get hubs, complete the spare build (one more of everything), get that last dozen screws, and get the cage and I'll be able to build it. Then it's on to interior and lights.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Light controller has been shipped...

I'll be needing a servo mount for the AR44 axles, after all. I was thinking of going to CMS, but SOA it is. I'm also trying to get someone to design and print me a very specific electronics box.

After getting the wheels built up, I finally started to see what the theme might be. I did receive the paint I'll be using after finally deciding on the livery. I'm hoping I'll be able to execute it the way I picture it.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you have something interesting planned...

(suspenseful music plays in the background)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Sounds like you have something interesting planned...

(suspenseful music plays in the background)
It's definitely been a (long) work in progress, and it's getting near the final stretch. I just scored a servo winch in the classifieds, too.

Bomber Crawler Refurb - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old school clod refurb looneybin Mega/Monster Trucks 1 09-23-2016 05:42 AM
A Bomber for my first Crawler USP45 Axial RR10 Bomber 9 01-01-2016 12:25 PM