Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: hot slipper plater and burning plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question hot slipper plater and burning plastic

Hey guys,
Just built a new rr10 with all new gear all the way down to the radio. Tekin rock 412, tekin rx4, new hi tech servo(cant remember the model)
On to the issue. I programed the esc and motor with the hotwire. Bound the radio. Set the mesh and dropped a battery on it. No wheels and tires.
Ran it and after about 10 seconds of full throttle up on a stand with no resistance on the drive line I started smelling plastic. loosened up the gear mesh a little more making sure not to run it too loose. Waited 5 minutes. Ran it again and touched the metal slipper plate and it was too hot to touch.
Any Ideas??
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: hot slipper plater and burning plastic

Tighten the slipper spring completly.
I guess it's slipping and heating up ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sounds more like something is binding. If the slipper plate is getting very hot when it is slipping it indicates that it is slipping under a fair load which shouldn't be there with no wheels and tires. Check your diffs by hand to see if they turn easily. If the problem isn't in the diffs it must be in the transmission.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The slipper is definitely slipping otherwise it wouldn't heat up. If the metal plates are hot to the touch then your slipper pads are more than likely toast so pick up some new ones. Once the pads heat up, the surface glazes over and it makes the slipper more likely to slip (and Axial's slipper pad material generally sucks).

Like bbrigg said, check for binding and if that is all good then it is likely the slipper just loosened up. Put on a new locknut and tighten the slipper all the way down then back it off 1/4 - 1/2 a turn for a bit of drivetrain protection.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ill just confirm what is said above. everything smooth with no motor? Is so, just double check slipper assenmbly is correct with stickies on the spur. Not sure what else could be. If you can provide a pic or vid we could maybe help find something.

Sounds like a fun bomber build though
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. But I forgot to add that I upgraded the motor mount to a Vanquish mount and I just took it apart and what I found is that there is rubbing on the inside of the Spur gear shield.
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Sound like you have already found the problem or Dismantle trans and axles parts and check check check again
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

hot slipper plater and burning plastic - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mip rear driveshaft gets burning hot. AWraith build Axial Yeti 13 10-25-2015 06:39 AM
Hot Racing Dual Wave Slipper ittybitty Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 01-14-2009 10:14 AM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM
Back from the plater Eritex Inc. Chit Chat 14 07-29-2008 01:29 PM