Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Thinking about biting the bomber bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thinking about biting the bomber bullet

Well I'm thinking about finally bitting the bomber bullet in kit form. I thought for sure it would be easy to decide on a brushed or brushless system for it after doing some research. Also was considering 2 speed for it off the hop and possibly looking at IFS in the near future. And I got the answers I was looking for right off the hop.....hahaha right. It seems pretty split in terms of opinion on all these things. I already have 2 trailing/crawling trucks and dont care whether it does 30+mph but am aiming for a seriously competitive crawler with decent wheel speed.

I'd appreciate afew opinions on the above named. If I go brushed I know what I'm going to use but am basically completely clueless when it comes to brushless. Guess I have always felt comfortable and had my needs met by brushed but the bomber is opening a different area for me and I want to do this bomber justice.
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Thinking about biting the bomber bullet

I think most members here are running castle or Holmes brushless setups, they can help you out.

I run my bomber on a hobbywing 1080 / trailmaster Sport 21T 550 combo and it's very smooth.
Snail pace crawling and decent speed for flat ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

The Bomber in kit form is the only way to go. The RTR needs to much work.

I also think brushless is the way to go in the Bomber because it's a rig that can crawl, but can also go faster. For that reason I highly recommend the Castle Mamba X ESC. Motor is up to you. I like the Tekin ROC412 motor and my Holmes Puller Pro. Supposedly the Puller Pro is smoother, but I haven't noticed the difference.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

I would type an opinion, but I can just do this and accomplish the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Bomber in kit form is the only way to go. The RTR needs to much work.

I also think brushless is the way to go in the Bomber because it's a rig that can crawl, but can also go faster. For that reason I highly recommend the Castle Mamba X ESC. Motor is up to you. I like the Tekin ROC412 motor and my Holmes Puller Pro. Supposedly the Puller Pro is smoother, but I haven't noticed the difference.
Ditto.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Make sure you get a dam good servo and check on the availability of replacement of gears.....that's seems to be the only thing I been able to destroy easily....i like the ones that get full power at 7.4v and if they pull 10+amps locked up get a BEC

My first servo was a home's hobby 500v2....great servo the only thing was it seemed a little low on power at lower the max voltage 14v very smooth and John has killed customer service...

I now have a older Hitec 7980 in my bomber....dam thing takes all the abuse I have thrown at it.. over the years .if it ever dies I will try one of the newer others as i read Hitec isn't what they used to be that a SHAME

Any way my 2c. cool rig for whatever you do with it....mine is for trail and rock crawling
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Perfect
Old 03-13-2019, 04:34 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well...I ordered it last night!! 8 hours later and I wish it was here already hahaha
Old 03-13-2019, 04:46 AM   #8

Ordered mine sunday. Should be here today pending this winter storm. Not sure what I am going to run but leaning towards mx or mmx and a Holmes PP. Will be doing minimal crawling mostly trails. Does the mmx fit under the interior? From what I have been reading beef tubes are a good initial upgrade so those will be installed during the build. Any other parts that should be swapped out right away? Or better just running it and replace as needed?
Tbone6943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
Well...I ordered it last night!! 8 hours later and I wish it was here already hahaha
Sweet! Congrats! Hopefully you got it with the 15% off coupon on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone6943 View Post
Ordered mine sunday. Should be here today pending this winter storm. Not sure what I am going to run but leaning towards mx or mmx and a Holmes PP. Will be doing minimal crawling mostly trails. Does the mmx fit under the interior? From what I have been reading beef tubes are a good initial upgrade so those will be installed during the build. Any other parts that should be swapped out right away? Or better just running it and replace as needed?
Apparently the Mamba X is enough for the Bomber. You don’t need the Mamba Monster X.

Now start your own build thread so you don’t have to hijack this one. “thumbsup”
Old 03-13-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Im no expert but from what I've read so far if you bought the RTR and are upgrading electronics and going brushless you should do beef tubes, Spool locker, HD gears then better rod ends and a 10T pinion from what I understand. I'm not sure if the mmx fits under the interior but lol from what I've read the mamba x does which is what I ordered.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Paid $330usd...not a bad deal
Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
Im no expert but from what I've read so far if you bought the RTR and are upgrading electronics and going brushless you should do beef tubes, Spool locker, HD gears then better rod ends and a 10T pinion from what I understand. I'm not sure if the mmx fits under the interior but lol from what I've read the mamba x does which is what I ordered.
Did you buy the RTR or the kit? The kit comes with a bunch of upgrades that the RTR does not. Once you tell me which version you got I can tell you which other upgrades you need. It seems you got the RTR, but I don't want to assume.

I have my Mamba Monster X on top of the receiver box. It's a tight fit. I'd much rather have the regular Mamba X had I known it would have been "enough" to handle the demands of the Bomber.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Nope got the kit I'm gonna ground up this one.

Ordered So Far:

-Mamba X
-Castle BEC
-Savox SB-2290SG (almost ordered a HH HV500)
-HH Trailmaster 540 - 2700kv
-10T Pinion
-64T Spur Gear (edited, sorry had pitch in there by accident)
-FlySky GT3C
-FlySky Receiver

I'd like a set of Vanquish front axle but they seem impossible to find in stock anywhere so I'm thing about Integy possibly or SSD. I am curious about interchangeability of wraith hop ups though?

Last edited by FANATICRC; 03-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I just ordered my bomber kit too!!! should be here tomorrow or Saturday hopefully!!!!!! I'm ready to get it done!! My Yeti needs a partner!!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I doubt the 32T spur will fit. It's either 64 stock or 68.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
RCC Addict

That's pretty much the setup I have on mine, same motor and esc - it's stupid fast on 3s, perfect on 2s, and crawls as slow as a snail. Stock gearing for 2s, but it's a little too fast with 3s, so a gear or two down minimum is where I would go for 3s.

Super smooth. The mambaX is really a great ESC. The PC interface thing is amazing, as is the switching from 'rock racing' to 'crawl' modes. Just fantastic for this rig.

You don't need a bec - the built in one for the mx is 10ah, so will drive any servo.

I'm running stock suspension and links and so far it's fine. Upgrade what breaks, or as the need arises. Same for weighting, links and axle upgrades, etc. My 1.9's still get way more driving time. The Bomber is almost too good at crawling - it just spanks a 1.9 in the rocks.

I went through the same quandary, these same guys got me pointed in the right direction - in case you want to read that process my build thread is here: Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber???
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Ya I had already ordered the castle BEC before I ordered the servo and originally I thought I'd need one with the servo I looked at. I saw the Vanquish Currie axles and I love those but cant found them anywhere in stock including vanquish.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Well I think I went overboard last night on my parts list. But the thing I'll be most excited for is the Vanquish Currie Axels unless they never come off backorder. I love the centered diff pumpkin in the rear it'll really add to the scale look. Once everything arrives I'll post afew pics and get started.

Last edited by FANATICRC; 03-15-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Definitely go with either SSD or Vanquish axles over Integy - friends don't let friends drive Integy!

You've got a sweet build list started there...

I desperately need to get off my keester and finish up Bomber #2.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

If you run a centered rear axle, you can't have the wild boar drive shaft, it will hit the spur cover. You'd have to get an MIP drive shaft. I've got an SSD centered diamond in the rear, SSD diamond front and MIP all around. One upgrade quickly leads to the next...
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about biting the bomber bullet - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about a bomber kit wcdfmt510 Axial RR10 Bomber 13 04-20-2018 08:46 PM
Biting off more than I can chew? curvedwallride Newbie General 22 11-03-2016 07:18 PM
Thinking Of Getting An Axial RR10 Bomber Kit K.C.'s RV Chit Chat 24 07-31-2016 07:57 AM
biting the bullet thumper68 Newbie General 11 03-19-2010 04:52 PM
What to do when the fish aren't biting... DeaDShorT Chit Chat 13 07-29-2007 08:25 PM