Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Tuning bomber for higher speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tuning bomber for higher speed?

Hi all, I have my bomber pretty dialed in at the moment. Lots of upgrades, built it from a chassis and then I had AR60's from another truck and went from there..

Running a $40 goolrc brushless system that works fantastic, its 4pole 12slot but sensorless, crawls and rips great for what it is on 3s...

I'm trying to tune it to not tip over so easy. Its pretty low slung right now, but I'm running proline hyrax tires with the foams they came with star cut(what I had on my crawler) The sidewall folds over so easy.

I was looking at those cheap air filled 2.2" beadlocks on ebay since JPRC has run them on his bomber...

I know I'd need stiffer foams, but the hyrax's have almost too much grip.

The other option I've been told is to use the factory diff cup and install diff gears to have an open diff with silicone ear plugs (goopy ones) or some other goop...

Thanks
-Spence
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tuning bomber for higher speed?

I've never heard anything good about the air filled rims, have you though about getting dual stage foams (Pro-Line dual stage or Crawler Innovation foams)? Do you have a sway bar?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Single stage CI foams and look into an open front diff.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
I've never heard anything good about the air filled rims, have you though about getting dual stage foams (Pro-Line dual stage or Crawler Innovation foams)? Do you have a sway bar?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yea I have a sway bar, Ive heard of the crawler innovations single stage deuces
Just can't believe how pricey foams are!

Well its not too bad lol but still

Last edited by Spence; 02-26-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Those air-filled tires are awful, pure gimmickry - and would make the rig bouncier than single-stage CI foams would.

Keep it low, wide, and stiffen it up a bit.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

2X on shooting down the air filled program, the problem is with the tires being designed for foams, not air pressure. Hyrax is a tall tire, helping the rooftop experiences occur more freqently. Hows about squeezing some 1.9s on the 2.2 wheels to drop the cg even more for go fast/speedster mode? What about standard height 2.2s like the KR2s from Axial? Making it wider would be ideal, but bent axles, bent...... would likely be the result there. Just out of curiousity, how fast are you going/wanting to go?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
2X on shooting down the air filled program, the problem is with the tires being designed for foams, not air pressure. Hyrax is a tall tire, helping the rooftop experiences occur more freqently. Hows about squeezing some 1.9s on the 2.2 wheels to drop the cg even more for go fast/speedster mode? What about standard height 2.2s like the KR2s from Axial? Making it wider would be ideal, but bent axles, bent...... would likely be the result there. Just out of curiousity, how fast are you going/wanting to go?

I'm happy with the speed, but I may gear up a little for a u4rc track. currently its probably around 15-20mph. It just doesn't handle on a grippy surface.

I had a blast when there was this great loose dirt gravel at a walking path at a beach I went for crawling, it was donut and power sliding nirvana the truck wouldn't flip there...

Truck slides awesome on dry leaves pedal to the metal lol...

The motor is a 3800kv 4pole gool rc motor its a 3660 running it on 3s

geared 14/65

Last edited by Spence; 02-26-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #8

As others already said, single stage foams are what you need. I run CI Deuces Wild foams in my Yeti and they work extremely well. The Yeti won't traction roll on dirt surfaces. A low slung Bomber, especially if the front is still locked will still have more tendency to roll than a Yeti, but it should still work very well with single stage foams.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #9

Stiffer foam, open front diff and Traxxas GTR shocks did wonders for me. It lowers the whole rig quite a bit so crawling performance not as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeh0314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tuning bomber for higher speed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber 2 speed Huntinman Newbie General 4 09-28-2017 04:56 PM
Bomber Increase speed? 06yz250f Axial RR10 Bomber 25 03-16-2017 08:48 AM
Newbie- how to get higher wheel speed and still have smooth slow crawl? biggreen96 Vaterra Ascender 11 04-05-2016 02:28 PM
Some help tuning a LRP sphere speed controler obebaldone1 General Crawlers 2 10-31-2010 08:07 PM