Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: New to RC with a bomber kit, help me build it please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Default New to RC with a bomber kit, help me build it please!

Hi From Chile!
I wanted to get a rig that could be used as rock crawler and rock racer, understanding that it means compromises, after a couple of weeks of looking around i decided that the bomber with a 2 speed transmission and better engine could be a good solution and it was clear that the kit would be a better option, (plus i wanted to build it and learn) just to find out that is has been discontinued.
I was a little disappointed with today "big" reveal from axial so i turned to eBay and fount the last axial kit from a rc store in the UK and on a sudden impulse bought it, shipping should take some time so now i want to purchase all the other items.

I really don't know much about rc, i build a plane 20 year ago and that's it.

So my first cry for help is on the parts that i should get, again my goal is:
-A rig that can be good enough for crawl and speed. (3s, brushless motor & ESC, 2-speed tranny)
-Steering and tranny servo, mounts? arms?.
-Reinforced enough to be able to resist that speed and my driving mistakes. (knuckles, axle reinforcements,...)
-What spare parts should a get (i'm in Chile so spare parts that could break would take a long time to get here)
-Good price-performance 3-ch remote controller and receiver. (or 4-ch for lights)
-Anything else????

Thanks.
Pancho Coddou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

Default Re: New to RC with a bomber kit, help me build it please!

Off the top of my head:

A quality steering servo that can run off the voltage from your lipo
Beef tubes
Vanquish steering servo mount for the front axle
Motor plate

Been a while since I built mine but I feel like that’s what I started with. There’s a bunch of build threads on here you can dig through. Have fun!
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You will love your Bomber, it's a great car. I only have time for a quick reply now, but have a look at my build, since I had the same goals as you have.

I guess you have to decide between upgrading as you break it, or do it from the start. I chose the latter, and have a beast.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the help, here's what i`ve got so far:

Do i need anything else? like cables, connectors or something that could be missing?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Coddou View Post
Thanks for the help, here's what i`ve got so far:

Do i need anything else? like cables, connectors or something that could be missing?

Thanks.
Solid start, especially the electronics...but I think you get a coupon code for a free Castle Link adapter with a Castle ESC.

Also, if I may offer some suggestions:

I'd get brass tubes for the front, underdrive gears for the rear, spools (Locked Up has some of the best), a Vanquish Stage 1 kit, and Traxxas Revo rod ends (lots).

Last edited by elRayRay; 05-26-2019 at 08:57 PM.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

Added the brass beef tubes, ill wait for the other axle reinforcements, i`m spending too much money already! also added the mamba x ESC
About the rod ends, like this ones?:

How many is a lot?

Do you see any cables or connectors missing in my setup?

Can i run the servo steering directly from a 3s and the 2speed servo from the integrated bec on the esc? or should i get a separate bec? (if so, recommendations please?)

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm really new to this and just trying to get all that i need i one purchase since i live on the other side of the world!!!.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I believe these are the rod ends you want, TRA5347. I would order two packs, because rod ends are the one thing that you will keep breaking. It's a five minute fix if you have them in your pocket, but a three week fix if Amain has them in California. At least for me, who's in Australia.

You might want a motor mount as well, like this one from Vanquish. That's what I have. I believe the stock plastic motor mount will struggle to keep your great motor in place, but I can't say for sure since I never tried the stock mount.

It is an expensive rig, but it's great. MambaX and a 2-speed makes it awesome. And yes, you can run your steering servo from the battery, and the 2-speed servo directly from the ESC. Good catch on the Y-harness.

It is true that the Mamba X comes with a coupon for a free Castle Link, so ditch that one.

You might need two pairs of connectors - a female for your battery, male for your ESC, and a second male for your charger.

If you hesitate on the Vanquish stage one kit, then I have a brand new Vanquish motor mount (silver) and a brand new pair of Vanquish clamping lockouts (black). You could get them for 40$ plus shipping. Send me a PM if you are interested, and I'll check on postage.

What you have is a really good start, I believe.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote

New to RC with a bomber kit, help me build it please! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first RC kit build, the RR10 Bomber smack2006 Axial RR10 Bomber 23 06-04-2019 02:13 PM
My bomber kit build BattleShrink Axial RR10 Bomber 13 07-20-2018 07:08 AM
Budget RC Bomber kit build Jim85IROC Axial RR10 Bomber 55 03-02-2018 12:57 AM
new bomber kit build (a problem) stump1 Axial RR10 Bomber 8 06-07-2017 07:07 PM
My Bomber kit build Iky104 Axial RR10 Bomber 34 12-13-2016 11:55 AM