Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: tough tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default tough tires?

Hi guys, I seem to keep puncturing tires. I like running a sealed foam setup. I'm currently running axial falken wildpeak r35's cause my sort of used "kit" of a bomber came with 2 of them.

What do you guys like for tires that are cheap and tough as can be? That mamba x sct power on 3s is so fun, but I just keep breaking stuff...

I've ripped tires on slow crawlers too...

I hate how expensive rc tires are... Just stupid... Supply vs demand I guess and what people will pay I guess...

I know the Voodoo 2.2 U4 crawler tires are great, but its stupid the price. Ok so $80 for 4 tires with no foams, for something that cost them likely $15 or less to make. I appreciate the design, but that is stupid as can be... And foams don't even get me started...

Thanks guys!
-Spence
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: tough tires?

Duratrax tires are both inexpensive and tough:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...brand=Duratrax

And they have white lettering on one side, so you can decide if you want to run them as blackwall or flip them around and run them showing the white letters.

There's a long thread from this forum on them, lots of people have run them with great results:

Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires

If you want to go even cheaper, you'll have to check Amazon or fleaBay for 2.2" tires and run the risk of getting a lousy rubber compound - although there are some decent ones to be found there as well...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Duratrax tires are both inexpensive and tough:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...brand=Duratrax

And they have white lettering on one side, so you can decide if you want to run them as blackwall or flip them around and run them showing the white letters.

There's a long thread from this forum on them, lots of people have run them with great results:

Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires

If you want to go even cheaper, you'll have to check Amazon or fleaBay for 2.2" tires and run the risk of getting a lousy rubber compound - although there are some decent ones to be found there as well...

Thanks man, but on the bomber would you suggest I run stiffer foams? I bet the stock foams are pretty soft. Foams are so pricey in a lot of cases I am tempted to make my own
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Sounds like you are a go fast guy from the description above. RTR KR2s work well, cheap on fleabay (5 for about $40). Dismount if necessary and mount to your wheels. Not real sticky for crawling, but can take a beating on the go fast.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Sounds like you are a go fast guy from the description above. RTR KR2s work well, cheap on fleabay (5 for about $40). Dismount if necessary and mount to your wheels. Not real sticky for crawling, but can take a beating on the go fast.

This or just get some of the Chinese knock off tires for about the same price. But the stiffer RTR compound will last longest. Also look into a set of CI comp cut stiff foams. Side wall strength will help tearing them, too.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If you are a speed guy, I would keep the stock bomber kit tires and run them with crawler innovation single stage foams (deuce wild).

It's very good for stability and the bomber kit tires are a good flat contact patch for hard pack ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Proline G8 compound. Great tires, great compound and they're tough. Plus, they are cheaper than the competition - most of which is lesser quality and performance.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Thanks man, but on the bomber would you suggest I run stiffer foams? I bet the stock foams are pretty soft. Foams are so pricey in a lot of cases I am tempted to make my own
In my Bomber, I am running Crawler Innovations dual stage foams with the R35 compound Axial kit tires, mounted to VP Incision Method alloy beadlocks.

My second set of wheels and tires are Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawlers w/stock Losi foams mounted on Gearhead CAC hybrid nylon and aluminum beadlocks.

The first set work better for speed as they are stiffer and also smaller in diameter than the nearly 6" tall Losi tires...

I have made dual stage foams of a sort by wrapping the wheel with a layer of Frost King self-stick weatherseal closed-cell foam and then stuffing cheap no-name tire foam in there to fill the gap - so far only did it on a set of small diameter tires, but it worked great - here's the post I made showing how I did it:

DIY half-assed dual-stage foams

And a pic of the product I used:

Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

the only tires that ive used that dident tear were the bfg r40 tires from the og wraith rtr there great tires if your truck weighs 20lbs and its 100° out but other than that they suck

if you dont run them sealed it.dosent realy matter i ripped a dime sized hole on the sidewall of my brand new hyraxs a few years ago and im still running them

itss work wonders even with torn up tires you could seal the inner tire and it would be like a innertube and be nice and protected
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Tough tires?

Try a set of original Stampede tires.

If you can't find any, whittle some out of wood. Depending on the type of wood, they may be softer than the actual Stampede tires so performance upgrade.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
In my Bomber, I am running Crawler Innovations dual stage foams with the R35 compound Axial kit tires, mounted to VP Incision Method alloy beadlocks.

My second set of wheels and tires are Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawlers w/stock Losi foams mounted on Gearhead CAC hybrid nylon and aluminum beadlocks.

The first set work better for speed as they are stiffer and also smaller in diameter than the nearly 6" tall Losi tires...

I have made dual stage foams of a sort by wrapping the wheel with a layer of Frost King self-stick weatherseal closed-cell foam and then stuffing cheap no-name tire foam in there to fill the gap - so far only did it on a set of small diameter tires, but it worked great - here's the post I made showing how I did it:

DIY half-assed dual-stage foams

And a pic of the product I used:

Yep. A stiff closed cell foam is excellent for bashing and overall high speed stuff. I’ve got a thread somewhere on the tires section where I used a pool noodle. Canoodle is the brand, IIRRC. I have them in my Bomber tires and they work well for general bashing. They do squeak though. LOL.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Tough tires?

Try a set of original Stampede tires.

If you can't find any, whittle some out of wood. Depending on the type of wood, they may be softer than the actual Stampede tires so performance upgrade.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Yep. A stiff closed cell foam is excellent for bashing and overall high speed stuff. I’ve got a thread somewhere on the tires section where I used a pool noodle. Canoodle is the brand, IIRRC. I have them in my Bomber tires and they work well for general bashing. They do squeak though. LOL.
im lovin the pool noodle idea every time i see them im like will this one work lol still never tryed it though im afraid my rigs would float
Old 07-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
im lovin the pool noodle idea every time i see them im like will this one work lol still never tryed it though im afraid my rigs would float

I’ve never made any water crossing to know but I’d imagine it would float.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It'd be interesting to test out different handmade foams, could cut up a Nerf football for the stiffer part of dual-stage foams...

I liked using the weatherseal stuff inside the RC4WD Dune T/A tires.

It's got real bounce to it - for a larger volume tire than the ones I did initially, I could wrap the wheel with two layers and then add the outer soft foam ring.

I am seriously thinking of doing this to the set of nylon RPM Revolver crawler-offset wheels that I'm wrapping in a set of Team DC copies of the Nitto Mud Grappler tire.

They were too stretched on the inside to stay clamped by any of my beadlocks - I'm going to have to glue them, so I decided they will be sacrificed in this experiment.

Since the wheels are superlight, the added weight of the very high-density foam should not cause any issues overall.

Anyone wanting to experiment with foams - there are dirt-cheap no-name foams of many types on Amazon and fleaBay - I picked up a set of these 1.9" foams and stuffed them inside my RTR Vaterra TSL Super Swampers after boiling them off the stock plastic rims - mounted them on a set of (also dirt-cheap) no-name beadlocks:

https://www.amazon.com/RCLIONS-Wheel...gateway&sr=8-3

Yep, they are TRIPLE-stage foams, and were available before Ottsix released theirs...

(and 4 of 'em for around ten smackeroos)

They come in 2.2" for about five bucks more (for 4):

https://www.amazon.com/RCLIONS-Spong...gateway&sr=8-2

These ain't great foams, but they ARE decent, and you can separate the layers and use something stiffer for the first stage(s) if you want to try something different.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

the pads you kneel on for the garden or shop or what ever they make the best dyi foams i tryed everything i could think of i dident cut up a football though lol but thats about the same as the knee pad i have a set of tires filled with styrafoam bbs lol that was a bad idea im afraid to take them apart lol i did the foam insalation strips they came apart inside the tire i tryed rubber weather striping too also foam floor pads rubber floor pads pieces of pads i tryed that house air filter material
then i stuck a tire inside the other tire and it seemed like the sweet spot to me i stoped testing foams and started testing differant tire in tire set ups i like it better than any foam i used mostly cause of the set it and forget it the performance wont change from day one to day 1000 i tested on 3 rigs the e10 about 6 lbs works great a 12lb wraith works great and a 20lb scaler and it worked great i have since done it to 2 more rigs and im realy liking it in contrast i switch between foam and foamless set ups on the sam3 rig and the itts works better in my opinion

im gona get a pool noodle some day just waiting for the right rig to use them on a water skeeter or something lol too bad they dont fit the clod buster tires that would be awsome

Last edited by ferp420; 07-19-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #17

I've had no issues with my 2.2 setup:

Pro-Line Flat Iron XL tires
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce foams
Front: 5.5 Comp Cut Inner/Medium Outer/No thin final layer
Rear: 6.0 Comp Cut Inner/Medium Outer/All layers

That is crawling, bashing and running up to 19.8mph on asphalt
broadside is offline   Reply With Quote

tough tires? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post