Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Need help with gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #1

Default Need help with gearing

So I’m pretty new to rock crawling. I recently got a pretty good deal on a rr10 bomber and it came with the factory motor and a castle creations sidewinder 3 and 1406 4600kv and what I can assume is the stock gearing that came with the original rtr bomber. I’m not sure if the gearing is the right set up for the motor. Any help would be great. Today I ran 1 full battery and I’m assuming it got hot and went into thermal shutdown. I’m not really looking for speed I just want to be able to crawl around and if I need to still have a little speed.
Aaburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Need help with gearing

that motor is a bit fast if crawling is your main goal. id recommended something around 2700kv to 3100kv for crawling. if thats not an option at this time and gearing is your only choice, the stock pinion is 12t and spur is 64t, going to around 10t pinion would help a bit. still id change that motor out for something slower.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #3

I’ll have to check again and make sure that’s the correct kv i have
Old 03-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can get the hotracing 2 speed kit and just leave it is 1st gear, maybe add a cheap servo later. A 21turn trail master and a 9t pinion also. Maybe a new esc like a hobbywing 1080 for downhill control. If you bought it for rock crawling and going slow, does it still feel like a good deal? This is only like $130 but it will make a big difference.

I can't remember if a 550 motor fits right in or not. Ripped that transmission out years ago.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

550 fits easily stock

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
You can get the hotracing 2 speed kit and just leave it is 1st gear, maybe add a cheap servo later. A 21turn trail master and a 9t pinion also. Maybe a new esc like a hobbywing 1080 for downhill control. If you bought it for rock crawling and going slow, does it still feel like a good deal? This is only like $130 but it will make a big difference.

I can't remember if a 550 motor fits right in or not. Ripped that transmission out years ago.
I though about buying the 2 speed but I heard it makes the drivetrain weak. I don’t really want to replace the motor since it’s brand new. I have the stock motor and esc as well. I was just hoping to change the gearing to make the engine run cooler. And it was a good deal still I’m fine with it going fast I just don’t want to burn up the motor
Old 03-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm running a 3300kv sensored brushless on stock gearing and it's hella quick. I can't imagine 4600kv. If you really want to keep that motor, try a smaller pinion and 68T spur. I wouldn't even bother with 10T - get an 8T or 9T.
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mletchworth View Post
I'm running a 3300kv sensored brushless on stock gearing and it's hella quick. I can't imagine 4600kv. If you really want to keep that motor, try a smaller pinion and 68T spur. I wouldn't even bother with 10T - get an 8T or 9T.
It is super fast for a rock crawler. I need to confirm which motor I have tonight I just went off what the box said that came with the truck. It might be the wrong box honestly
Old 03-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Any 4600kv motor will be fast, and I don't know any that have good startup for crawling. A good racing motor will be junk in a crawler. They are designed for different purposes like forks and spoons.

You can change the spur and pinion out to 68/9 so instead ongoing 26mph you will only go 21.5mph... The 2 speed can drop it down to 9.5mph from there. New axles can get you to 7.33mph after gears and 2speed.

If you try to crawl with that motor it will not be a good experience IMO.

Sell the motor before you burn it up trying to crawl with it and buy the 550 motor...

Lowering the volts to slow it down will not work well either.

If you have the stock motor. I cant believe I'm saying it, but the stock motor is better than what you have in there now, for rock crawling at least.

Just because a motor is new doesn't mean it's good, or that it will suit your needs.

If you are rock racing then maybe... But probably not.

I still recommend the hot racing 2 speed. Yea, it's not bullet proof, but it's the best way to drop your gearing enough to do anything resembling rock "CRAWLING".

You can drop to 48p gears and go with a 96t or 102t spur. if you need to stay single speed. I wouldn't say its a better Idea then the 2-speed though.

The sidewinder 3 is an OK esc for its age. But its missing many features of todays esc's. You cant set to brake to ramp up, so it is just all or nothing (strength is variable, just not delayed). Newer esc's allow you to drive downhill slow too or have "active drag". The bec on the SW3 is also not strong enough to power some of the beefier servos we use for crawling.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-02-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

sub'd
TN-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Any 4600kv motor will be fast, and I don't know any that have good startup for crawling. A good racing motor will be junk in a crawler. They are designed for different purposes like forks and spoons.

You can change the spur and pinion out to 68/9 so instead ongoing 26mph you will only go 21.5mph... The 2 speed can drop it down to 9.5mph from there. New axles can get you to 7.33mph after gears and 2speed.

If you try to crawl with that motor it will not be a good experience IMO.

Sell the motor before you burn it up trying to crawl with it and buy the 550 motor...

Lowering the volts to slow it down will not work well either.

If you have the stock motor. I cant believe I'm saying it, but the stock motor is better than what you have in there now, for rock crawling at least.

Just because a motor is new doesn't mean it's good, or that it will suit your needs.

If you are rock racing then maybe... But probably not.

I still recommend the hot racing 2 speed. Yea, it's not bullet proof, but it's the best way to drop your gearing enough to do anything resembling rock "CRAWLING".

You can drop to 48p gears and go with a 96t or 102t spur. if you need to stay single speed. I wouldn't say its a better Idea then the 2-speed though.

The sidewinder 3 is an OK esc for its age. But its missing many features of todays esc's. You cant set to brake to ramp up, so it is just all or nothing (strength is variable, just not delayed). Newer esc's allow you to drive downhill slow too or have "active drag". The bec on the SW3 is also not strong enough to power some of the beefier servos we use for crawling.

I also will agree with the esc not being a very compatible for crawling. I guess I just need to figure out what’s the best option for a new motor combo. I don’t plan on upgrading anything too fast right now as I want to kinda slowly upgrade.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

For crawling a brushed crawlmaster 10t pro is pretty hard to beat. Crawlmaster 12t sport or trailmaster 21t 550 sport is pretty good bang for the buck.

2200 puller pro standard if you want brushed. Many prefer the 2700kv but I like the 2200kv and more voltage on a mamba x.

Those will all drop the speed considerably and crawl much better as well even with out changing gears.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
For crawling a brushed crawlmaster 10t pro is pretty hard to beat. Crawlmaster 12t sport or trailmaster 21t 550 sport is pretty good bang for the buck.

2200 puller pro standard if you want brushed. Many prefer the 2700kv but I like the 2200kv and more voltage on a mamba x.

Those will all drop the speed considerably and crawl much better as well even with out changing gears.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Kv or speed per volt is set by the motor. The esc has minimal effect on kv.

Need help with gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Turn Motor & Long Gearing vs Low Turn Motor & Short Gearing. Hardcoretam Electronics 11 03-15-2017 11:23 PM
Gearing help.... Curb Crawler Mega/Monster Trucks 1 10-25-2016 01:55 PM
Gearing? jsu101 Axial Wraith 12 02-11-2012 04:15 PM
gearing sht50 Axial Wraith 1 10-08-2011 12:58 AM
1.9 wk gearing? bigblazerboy General Crawlers 2 02-18-2008 05:31 PM