Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber or Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber or Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Ground clearance and breakover angle.

This.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Ah you just need more power to zip up and over obstacles.

But this is a reason that many people shorten the Bomber. The massive skid plate and wheelbase kill both ground clearances and breakover angle.

May as well run my Wraith.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Keeping somewhat on topic here:

Does anyone see where the Capra Portal axles would work under the UMG10?

I really enjoy building the kits. It would be an awesome bonus if I could swap the UMG10 axles for the portals in the Capra kit. This would do 2 things. 1 Make the Unimog more realistic (to me anyway). 2 Make the Capra and more realistic (to me anyway as how we build rock crawling buggies around here they utilize that style of axle) with the AR44 axles.

To stay true on topic: I prefer the 1.9 rigs more than the 2.2s. The 2.2 rigs just make things significantly easier. For good reason, the cage on the Wraith/Bomber is purposely built to not get hung up like the frame/body of an SCX10 or similar rig. Thats all fine and the Capra will still accomplish that. But what is more help yet is the 2.2 tires being so large it further makes obstacles a breeze. However, the longer wheel base and width can make some things more challenging but generally that is an issue few and far between.
The capra axles are a wider than scx10II, but not as wide as a bomber
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

The Capra ticks more boxes for me, my pre-order has been placed here in the UK, we have to wait until November for them.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I’ve made my Bomber into an in between rig. Open front diff from a Yeti and a big motor geared for more speed. Wider offset wheels finish it out for a little stability.

Personally I’m going for the Capra. It ticks boxes others haven’t.
To put Yeti open diff up front I would need Yeti universals also?
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
To put Yeti open diff up front I would need Yeti universals also?

My bad. The SMT diff. It’ll drop right in whole.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Maybe. I never viewed my Bomber as a crawler. The straight rear TA are the hinderance.
I haven't found the TA to be any more of a hindrance than the straight links on all of my other rigs. The added ground clearance from the 2.2s still gets it up and over obstacles that none of my 1.9s can manage, TAs or not. On your terrain it may be a different story. Around here a lot of the hiking trails I use my trucks on have large vertical offsets that the Bomber can easily overcome that my other rigs can't, purely because of its size.

The Bomber has compromises for sure, but I'm consistently amazed at how many things it can do well. It crawls well, it trails amazingly well, it's size gets it through places that my 12" 1.9 rigs can't imagine getting through, and it's still drivable at high(ish) speeds.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 09-19-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Interesing that the UMG gets standard axles but the Capra has Portals - maybe a rights risk if the UMG is too close to the real-life thing?

The Capra has a nice stance but I think it would look better on some conventional axles despite better performance on portals (i.e. clearance, reduced torque reaction).

If I didn't have a sorted Bomber I'd be very tempted by the Capra.
IntrepidMercians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #29

Whenever I'm deciding if a certain type of RC is something I'm interested in I look to the 1:1 versions for inspiration and understanding on how it should be used.

People do use the Bomber as a crawler, and it is very capable of doing that well, but it really shines on rough terrain and rocks that aren't overly huge while moving over that terrain with some good speed. Watch the U4 King of hammers vids and drive the Bomber like the real one.

For the Capra watch some video of the W.E. Rock buggies. A channel I've really gotten into lately is PathMakerProductions on YouTube. These aren't 1000hp off road racers, they are ~300hp rock crawlers. They shine on large rocks with steep climbs and sharp drop offs. The terrain is never open enough for them to get up much top speed, it's just slowly going through one technical obstacle at a time.

The difference between a Capra and an SCX10 ii not a huge one, but as you will see watching W.E. Rock videos they are more capable than a street legal Wrangler, and crashing them isn't as much of a big deal. That's the main reason I'm excited about the Capra. I drive my scalers very carefully these days. They are painted nicely and loaded with scale accessories, and I don't want to flip them down hills over rocks that will tear them up, but the Capra will be my slow-ish crawler that I don't mind bashing a bit.

Last edited by StratRC; 09-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
StratRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I concur.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I had this same dilemma when I was searching for my next rig. I like to trail drive with with the occasional obstacle. I was already in the process of building my new Trail King when I got the bug for another crawler, I’m sure you know how that happens. After reading all the reviews and watching how capable the Capra is in something I almost never do, I opted for a used kit Bomber. I am in the process of going through my used Bomber and figuring it out what I want to do with it. I really like the fact that there are so many option parts available for it like any well sold older rig. Mine came with a two speed which is more valuable to me than having a dig unit, so again Bomber. I had a dig on my old AX10 but I rarely use it. I also like the idea of a bigger vehicle and the fact it can take the larger battery which I own quite a few. Again Bomber. Both vehicles look difficult to work as I’m finding out now with the Bomber.

After checking out the Capra and speaking with the designer this past weekend at a horizon booth, I really got the sense the Capra was built to be a completely different machine than the Bomber although with somewhat a similar look. I may get one some day when used ones come up for sale or the RTR version comes out, but for me, I wanted a Bomber while they are still available.
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #32

Thanks for all the good info and discussion.
Jakezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #33

Both are different. I buy the Bomber this year and I am currently assembling the Capra.
The Bomber is real pleasure for rock crawling.
I wanted it before that is no longer available.
For the Capra, he will be my truck for the beautiful smooth rock.
Like a real spider on the rock.
I watch a lot of videos for Capra and surprised what people can do with Capra.
Sand tires, double driving ect. All excellent videos. Thanks guys. Yvan
MysTiC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe. I never viewed my Bomber as a crawler. The straight rear TA are the hinderance.
Bombers are abysmal crawlers no matter what you do to them. No ground clearance, trailing arms, a huge heavy cage, a big fat skid to hang up on errrrything. It's an entertaining basher/U4 racer though that's for sure.

The capra is lighter, has more clearance under the axles even on 1.9's than a bomber. The axles are a good width vs the chassis so it is far more stable and the 12.5" wheelbase is right at where the most capable 2.2 comp rigs in the world run.

I have a built to the max bomber and a very lightly modded capra and for bashing about the bomber has a bit of an advantage but for literally everything else the capra is king.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayraypc View Post
id love to find an RR10 kit for sale in the US.
Randy's website has them for sale
upit4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #36

I love my bomber that I built from a kit but it does suck at crawling and can't do much more than my brothers SCX10ii. I have it built as a go-fast/u4 style rig and plan on building a 1.9 crawler for slower stuff. So I would take a bomber just to have something with some speed.
Bash&slash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Bombers are abysmal crawlers no matter what you do to them. No ground clearance, trailing arms, a huge heavy cage, a big fat skid to hang up on errrrything. It's an entertaining basher/U4 racer though that's for sure.

The capra is lighter, has more clearance under the axles even on 1.9's than a bomber. The axles are a good width vs the chassis so it is far more stable and the 12.5" wheelbase is right at where the most capable 2.2 comp rigs in the world run.

I have a built to the max bomber and a very lightly modded capra and for bashing about the bomber has a bit of an advantage but for literally everything else the capra is king.
I don't know my bomber crawls pretty good.
It keeps up with everything in my area. Built for pure crawling though.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I don't know my bomber crawls pretty good.
It keeps up with everything in my area. Built for pure crawling though.

Tooling along the trails and doing something like this are very different. A bomber cannot do this line, period and yes it's a difficult line but it's just another obstacle in the life of a capable rig.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50-0SZSctgs
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Tooling along the trails and doing something like this are very different. A bomber cannot do this line, period and yes it's a difficult line but it's just another obstacle in the life of a capable rig.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50-0SZSctgs
I would be surprised if any of the mainstream trucks could do that including the capra.
rnagenetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagenetics View Post
I would be surprised if any of the mainstream trucks could do that including the capra.
Exactly. The Capra would be on it's lid just as fast as any other "scale" vehicle.

My Bomber is still my "go to" rig when I'm not sure what kind of terrain I'm going to encounter. The larger tires and longer wheelbase make it effective in a higher percentage of places than any of my other rigs. Sure, the chassis can get hung up on stuff, but in the vast majority of those cases, picking your line carefully and/or a little (or lot of) extra throttle can get me through.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber or Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
PRE-ORDER NOW the NEW Axial Racing Capra 1.9 Unlimited Trail Buggy Builders Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-12-2019 10:43 AM
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM