Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber or Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Default Bomber or Capra

Just a hypothetical question, you own a SCX10ii Rig and want something different would you drop your hard earned cash on a Bomber or the new Capra...
Thoughts???
macman809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber or Capra

What do you want to do?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If you want to go faster: Bomber

If you want to get into more technical crawling (but still be able to run it down the trail: Capra

I really like what the Capra has to offer and am struggling to decide how bad I want it since something would have to go to make it happen. Realistically, my most capable crawler (Bully2) is my least used, followed by my least capable (leaf sprung scaler), but my Wraith is by far my most used. Problem is, the big 2.2 car doesn't fit in with what all the other locals run, but the Capra might get along better since it's dimensionally close in size to the typical 1.9 scaler. I think the Capra has the potential to out-crawl a Wraith/Bomber without much work, putting it a step above them, but not quite to a 2.2s.

Another bonus for the Capra, coming from a 10.2, is that you've probably already got wheelsets laying around that you could swap as you see fit.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

With the improved product quality (plastics, shocks, etc) that are supposed to come with the Capra - That's what I'd go with.

Bombers tend to start their owners on a buying spree, as they perform much better with at least some upgrades.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

Fair question from “brake weight” I suppose what I’m asking of you folk with more rigs, more experience is that given you already have a crawler do you think a good choice for a second vehicle would be a better crawler or a faster trail runner. I am really torn between the two I would like a class 3 crawler I could see that being a lot of fun, but I also like the idea of a ultra4 racer too. Can’t have both (yet) as even a second vehicle is an indulgence right now but that is not the point of the question.
macman809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Bomber or Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman809 View Post
Fair question from “brake weight” I suppose what I’m asking of you folk with more rigs, more experience is that given you already have a crawler do you think a good choice for a second vehicle would be a better crawler or a faster trail runner. I am really torn between the two I would like a class 3 crawler I could see that being a lot of fun, but I also like the idea of a ultra4 racer too. Can’t have both (yet) as even a second vehicle is an indulgence right now but that is not the point of the question.

I’ve made my Bomber into an in between rig. Open front diff from an SMT and a big motor geared for more speed. Wider offset wheels finish it out for a little stability.

Personally I’m going for the Capra. It ticks boxes others haven’t.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 09-19-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Put the Capra on 2.2"s with a 3500kv brushless and see how it goes?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Capra for me.

Never ready got into the larger 2.2 rigs for some reason?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'm with TheLetterJ having a 1.9 rig already especially another axial means you're going to have spare parts/crossover parts not to mention the all important wheels and tires. Here is my other argument if favor of the Capra though from just another hobbiest who enjoys gizmos. Production vehicle with portals? Yes please. Production dig? Omg yes please. dig is tons of fun and a million times cheaper than 4 wheel steering. Really though like the others its about what you want to do and even more importantly do you think it is something awesome you can enjoy yourself with? If it is then really what anyone else thinks is pointless. Here are what I personally consider when purchasing pretty much anything.

Do I like how it looks?
Does it have the capability I want?
If something goes wrong is it fixable/upgradable?
Is there another product that does what I want better?
Is there another product that is more supported?
Will it be fun/easy to work on/use?
Will it last?
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Keeping somewhat on topic here:

Does anyone see where the Capra Portal axles would work under the UMG10?

I really enjoy building the kits. It would be an awesome bonus if I could swap the UMG10 axles for the portals in the Capra kit. This would do 2 things. 1 Make the Unimog more realistic (to me anyway). 2 Make the Capra and more realistic (to me anyway as how we build rock crawling buggies around here they utilize that style of axle) with the AR44 axles.

To stay true on topic: I prefer the 1.9 rigs more than the 2.2s. The 2.2 rigs just make things significantly easier. For good reason, the cage on the Wraith/Bomber is purposely built to not get hung up like the frame/body of an SCX10 or similar rig. Thats all fine and the Capra will still accomplish that. But what is more help yet is the 2.2 tires being so large it further makes obstacles a breeze. However, the longer wheel base and width can make some things more challenging but generally that is an issue few and far between.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

They are two different sizes. The Bomber is nearly 1/8th scale whereas the Capra is 1/10th scale.

The Bomber appears to be a better go-fast and all around rig whereas the Capra would be a better crawlers.

This is all based an ASSumptions since the Capra isn't out yet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #12

Bomber for me. To me, the Capra sits smack between a Bomber and an SCX10II. I have my 1.9 scalers, and the Capra just isn't different enough to justify it for me. The Bomber is much bigger, so it will crawl in areas where the scaler/Capra can't, plus it's got the ability to do the fast thing.

I may be biased though, because the Bomber has been my favorite RC since I built it.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
With the improved product quality (plastics, shocks, etc) that are supposed to come with the Capra - That's what I'd go with.
Well said.......Capra.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Bomber for me. To me, the Capra sits smack between a Bomber and an SCX10II. I have my 1.9 scalers, and the Capra just isn't different enough to justify it for me. The Bomber is much bigger, so it will crawl in areas where the scaler/Capra can't, plus it's got the ability to do the fast thing.

I may be biased though, because the Bomber has been my favorite RC since I built it.

The Bomber is bigger but I doubt the Capra would be less capable. A sensored brushless would bring this to life.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #15

id love to find an RR10 kit for sale in the US.
rayraypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The Bomber is bigger but I doubt the Capra would be less capable. A sensored brushless would bring this to life.
Wheelbase & tire size gives the Bomber the ability to get up & over larger obstacles. The limitations I usually run into with my scalers isn't a power issue, it's a physical size issue.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Wheelbase & tire size gives the Bomber the ability to get up & over larger obstacles. The limitations I usually run into with my scalers isn't a power issue, it's a physical size issue.

Maybe. I never viewed my Bomber as a crawler. The straight rear TA are the hinderance.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Maybe. I never viewed my Bomber as a crawler. The straight rear TA are the hinderance.
In what way are the trailing arms a hindrance?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
In what way are the trailing arms a hindrance?
Ground clearance and breakover angle.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Ground clearance and breakover angle.
Ah you just need more power to zip up and over obstacles.

But this is a reason that many people shorten the Bomber. The massive skid plate and wheelbase kill both ground clearances and breakover angle.

Bomber or Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
PRE-ORDER NOW the NEW Axial Racing Capra 1.9 Unlimited Trail Buggy Builders Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-12-2019 10:43 AM
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM