Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber a good all around toy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bomber a good all around toy?

looking at getting the RTR with a 2s battery.

I see basic upgrades are HW 1080 & steering servo upgrade.

I'm in Hawaii and just looking for a simple fun toy to play with while we hang at the beach or by our condo with lots of lava rock. Thoughts? I had a Wraith & a Yeti awhile ago and it was fun, didn't sink hardly any money into them and just rambled it until things broke. I don't bash hard, maybe take out a couple times a month to crawl around.

My budget for my new toy is about $500-$600

Aloha!

Last edited by little squirt; 10-11-2019 at 10:29 PM.
little squirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber a good all around toy?

With all that lava rock you may want to consider the new Axial Capra...

Crawling performance is top-notch, will run fine on lower-powered electronics as it weighs much less and is noticeably smaller than a Bomber or Wraith.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
With all that lava rock you may want to consider the new Axial Capra...

Crawling performance is top-notch, will run fine on lower-powered electronics as it weighs much less and is noticeably smaller than a Bomber or Wraith.
i have no electronics and would need get all of that a-la-cart. Was looking for a RTR rather than a full on project. I like the Capra but prob be like $700+ ready to go...was hoping to be around the $5-6 range, also saw the RC4WD TF2 which looks tempting.
little squirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

RTR + upgrades almost always costs more in the long run than building a kit. For the Bomber RTR be prepared to replace all of the electronics sooner rather than later. You also need metal links as the stockers are rubbery plastic. You’ll also need good tires and wheels on which to mount them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

A Capra could easily be outfitted under $600.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

FlySky GT5 6-Channel radio: $65
HobbyWing WP1080 ESC: $42
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 540 15t motor: $15
Amazon DS3235SSG Servo: $43
Spektrum SX107 Micro Servo (Dig): $15
HobbyStar 3700mAh 11.1V, 3S 100C LiPo Battery: $40

Equals $220 plus whatever wheels/tires you'd like...

Add $330 for the kit - totalling $550, and go on the hunt for your favorite rubber!

You could use the included plastic beadlocks for a while, then switch to some aluminum beadlocks later.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I got a bomber and mine is all stock and i use 2s batteries and have had it a while and still working the same as day I bought it and it has rolled down embankments and been in water. Not denying any of the guys that say you need all new everything and to replace it all and its junk etc as they know more than me. BUT with that said, my experience and my buddy who bought one either got the best ones on the planet or we are just lucky but ours work fine after a year or so. I believe the servo story 100% as it seems all servos are crap unless $$$ is spent in this hobby which is a shame and I am sure loses the hobby more money by people being turned off from the hobby with broke $400 cars instead of putting a bit better one in that will last and keeping the new people interested. That's my 2 cents and love the feedback on this site from all different kinds of people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

First off that's a nice looking truck and your living in Hawaii, pretty sweet. I say get the bomber. It's a great overall truck to crawl with. Its pretty durable overall just stock. If you have any problems first I'll bet the servo goes first. The stock servo is weak and strips out. Out of all my trucks I have it was the first stock servo that went to crap on me. So it sounds like you have enough money I'd make sure to get a new servo and save it for when you need it or just replace it when you get one.

The stock tires will get you by till they wear out. But they definitely are not the best tires out there. But no RTR tire is ever that great anyway. If you decide to get new tires you can pick some up to match your terrain you'll be playing on.

If you have any more money I'd say get some other grades. Maybe like some incision link kit. That way your steering linkage will hold up.

I don't have a wraith, but do have a yeti and love it. Some day I want to get some paddles on it and take it out to the sand dunes in my area and blast around. But I do have upgrades to it.

I dont think you'll reqet getting a bomber imo. Keep us posted. Interested if you get one.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I think the bomber would be ok. You get a little more versatility. and the 2.2 tires would be better suited for the lava rock with all the "holes and crevices" for a tire to fall in to. It sounds like you have ran on the lava rock before so you can tell if a 1.9 rig would be ok or if 2.2 would be better.

How is that lava rock on tires anyway? I imagine it would be very rough and provide traction even with the harder RTR compound...

I would wager you will end up with another rig after you get this one...
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The Bomber will drag the belly more but may not be that bad. There’s a sweet Bomber build from the 808, IIRC.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I would think the lava rocks sharp edges would cut and wear into the plastic axles pretty quickly.

You can get metal skids or as others have said the Capra with its portal axles whits gives more ground clearance. 2.2 tires on the portal axles gives a ton of clearence.

These hobby grade vehicles are designed to be fixed not tossed when they break. All the parts are replaceable. So for less money you can fix your old yetti, convert it to a solid front axle or w/e.

They are only trash when you deside to stop repairing them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber a good all around toy? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are good Bomber electronics? Weichert crawling Axial RR10 Bomber 1 09-15-2016 06:10 PM
Is An MMX And HH Puller Pro Good For A RR10 Bomber? K.C.'s RV Chit Chat 120 08-18-2016 06:05 PM
Toy crawlers r1 to formula toy Toycrawler5481 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2011 06:49 PM
rc toy review site (good for finding bodies) Tanqueray General Scale Talk 2 11-12-2008 04:20 PM