Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #21

Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Yeah you are right
I got the full stainless link set from JEC and the stainless Wraith trailing arms.
Should add some weight on its own vs the aluminum and plastics.

I have a set of AR60 brass knuckles from TSS going in as well.

He will climb, I was just worried about the length after reading your post

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
These parts sound awesome. Here in Europe its not so easy to find alot of the USA companies products. (thats why im with hobbywing motors and not Holmes's)
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veygr View Post
So in the end all have their opinions. And if i have to compare my personal opinion to that of White Trash, about the capabilities of the Bomber platform, i cant take his opinion seriously at all.

It's ok if our opinions differ, that just means we have different expectations for our rigs. Bombers are fine for most anything but very difficult rocks which are my main focus. That's why my bomber hasn't had a battery plugged in since spring time. The long wheelbase with a wide skid plate and trailing arms do not lend itself to crawling nearly as well as bouncer duties.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #23

Wink Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

I checked my picture vault. Here are some picture examples of the places that the long wheelbase can do no problem and ARE physically impossible to the shorter wheelbase. The front tires just cant reach. And most of the mountains(my country) have big places like from the pictures. The places where shorter wheelbase is better are so far and between its not funny.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #24

Smile Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It's ok if our opinions differ, that just means we have different expectations for our rigs. Bombers are fine for most anything but very difficult rocks which are my main focus. That's why my bomber hasn't had a battery plugged in since spring time. The long wheelbase with a wide skid plate and trailing arms do not lend itself to crawling nearly as well as bouncer duties.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I still love my bomber. Can go anywhere almost. And with the power system in it it can slow crawl or be and uncontrollable tire blowing beast on 6s if I wanted. But I just stick to 2s most of the time

Even thinking bout modding my scx24 to be a mini bomber
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Still love my bomber. Its still a project truck and will be for awhile. With the capra out right now the bomber has taken a back seat for now. There still seems to be plenty of bomber action where I'm at. I'd just on the band wagon for a capra, but i swore to finish all my projects before I get another truck. The bomber does roll through the terrain alot easier than a scale truck for sure.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Still stoked on my Bomber. And building a B1B.

Weekly 5-8 mile Scale Ultra runs, a 1.9 rig couldn’t dream of hanging at that pace and taking those beatings.

Tuning and upgrades are still super exciting too for the Bomber. Ditching the stock axle housings for some new Super Shafty 7072 bomb proof-ness.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

I saw the Capra and considered buying one but my Bomber is proven, durable and versatile so I will stick with what I know.

ETA:
The Bomber is just one of my/our outdoor hobbies so it has to share time and funds with the trail-driving, mountain biking and geocaching.

The bomber is a cool thing to take on holiday and explore the scenery with when the family 4x4 is our transport and the trail-truck is stuck at home.

I didn't realise the Capra is now available RTR :-)

Last edited by IntrepidMercians; 12-09-2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Other hobbies / RTR Capra
IntrepidMercians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #29
RCC Addict

I like the size of the Bomber over my Capra, my local terrain supports both rigs well. Sadly, I feel this rig is going to go extinct. They don't have them at the LHS, but have more Capras than the rabbit pen at the zoo. People want the new toy. That said, trying to find a used Bomber that the seller doesn't think they will get $500-$800 for it brings some hope. Personally, I wish they would add the good kit components to the RTR, like the diffs, wheels/tires, shocks and links. Maybe the old factory that mfg'd these things is the problem. who knows. That said, I haven't driven anything RC since last Sept. Yikes.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
I like the size of the Bomber over my Capra, my local terrain supports both rigs well. Sadly, I feel this rig is going to go extinct. They don't have them at the LHS, but have more Capras than the rabbit pen at the zoo. People want the new toy. That said, trying to find a used Bomber that the seller doesn't think they will get $500-$800 for it brings some hope. Personally, I wish they would add the good kit components to the RTR, like the diffs, wheels/tires, shocks and links. Maybe the old factory that mfg'd these things is the problem. who knows. That said, I haven't driven anything RC since last Sept. Yikes.
I prefer the size of the Capra over the Bomber for around here. The Bomber is a little wide, but much too long. And it's hard to find terrain to challenge 2.2's if you stay local. For this reason, and the fact that I agree that the Bomber feels like it's going extinct, I plan on selling mine. Since I built my Bomber, I think I've only used it on one or two trail runs and it was a ton of fun, but I've used it most flying around my backyard.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I prefer the size of the Capra over the Bomber for around here. The Bomber is a little wide, but much too long. And it's hard to find terrain to challenge 2.2's if you stay local. For this reason, and the fact that I agree that the Bomber feels like it's going extinct, I plan on selling mine. Since I built my Bomber, I think I've only used it on one or two trail runs and it was a ton of fun, but I've used it most flying around my backyard.
Same here.

2.2s have largely been abandoned around here. The trails are usually too mild for even 4.75 inch tires, much less 5.5" or larger one, and Bomber isn't very good when I do make it to terrain that requires actual crawling. I still like the Bomber but there are probably 5-6 trucks I would grab before the Bomber which relegates it to being used 1-2 times a year.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Same here.

2.2s have largely been abandoned around here. The trails are usually too mild for even 4.75 inch tires, much less 5.5" or larger one, and Bomber isn't very good when I do make it to terrain that requires actual crawling. I still like the Bomber but there are probably 5-6 trucks I would grab before the Bomber which relegates it to being used 1-2 times a year.
You guys are rough with the poor Bomber...
It's still one of the best platform to build on. You know it can be shorten with trailing arms and drop down to 1.9 tires right ?

It's a very good dual purpose rig if you mix trails, rocks and flat land. Also very fun in the snow.

For pure crawling I agree, there are tons of new rigs better than the bomber.

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Something else to consider regarding the Bomber is the fact that this is a crawler site, not a U4 and trail related site, so perhaps we are skewed on perspective. Could that be? My LHS still has Wraiths, proving that 2.2 hasn't died completely, YET. U4RC races at a track 1/2 hr from me, just haven't popped in to see what is up. Rock Rey seems to be the rig of choice there, different class than the Bomber of course, but many entries. Kinda like full size desert racing; a grip of Trophy Turcks and Trophy Spec rigs, while Class 1 (buggy) is becoming a ghost town class.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I forgot to mention it but you can also convert the bomber to IFS or full front and rear independent suspension.

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's still one of the best platform to build on. You know it can be shorten with trailing arms and drop down to 1.9 tires right ?
Been down that road, had it all mocked up with 1.9s but it doesn't look right on the AR60s.

For a proper 1.9 Bomber build, you need to move to XR width axles and I lost interest in going further on that conversion.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
I forgot to mention it but you can also convert the bomber to IFS or full front and rear independent suspension.

True, been there and did that. However, as a race rig, someone will figure a way to mount the cage on a Tekno chassis for replacement parts availabity. You guys seen the yellow Capra done that way yet? Clean rig.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #37

Quote:

It's a very good dual purpose rig if you mix trails, rocks and flat land. Also very fun in the snow.

For pure crawling I agree, there are tons of new rigs better than the bomber.

The Bomber is too wide for 1.9's IMO. I should have shortened mine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #38

Shortening on the cheap is easy to try out. I used Traxxas 5318 links for upper and lower on the rear and moved the shock lower ends to the top of the link mounts where the sway bar would mount. Less torque twist than with the twin hammers trailing arms with shocks in the normal positions. Redid rear driveshaft to same as front one (if I remember right) with parts from the box spares.
BSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

My Bomber is my most reliable rig. I can have hours of fun crawling or trailing it, and hand the controls to my 5 year old niece and not worry about her breaking it. I built everything except the motor, I'm running a cheap Traxxas 21T now with the HW1080 ESC.

My problem is that I only run a RC rig a few times per year these days. I work away from home 40 weeks per year and have other interests/hobbies as well. I need to liquidate some hobbies to free up space (and some money). I'm sure my Bomber would sell for ~$300 on a good day, enough to pay for the wheels/tires and steering servo I've probably got $900 in it.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #40

My LHS has virtually nothing axial, feels like a Traxxas only shop! I’m sure part of that is location/clientele, but even parts are extremely limited for the Axial platform. I still love my bomber, but it sat for the last 2 years as other hobbies/life took priority. Now I’m dusting it off and really enjoying it again. I haven’t had any trouble finding parts online, once that starts to go away, then the bomber will go away, but I don’t see that happening for a while.
Cocamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the Bomber a thing of the past? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new Axial thing, not the last new thing but another new thing. svt923 General Scale Talk 214 05-16-2019 07:34 PM
Past axialfest's Frank211 Chit Chat 12 04-25-2019 03:41 PM
Crawlers Past BCCrawlerZ 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-21-2017 07:41 AM
Flash From The Past Axial Rose Videos! 5 04-13-2016 04:14 PM
Imthatguy's Jeep thing video thing. imthatguy Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2013 08:13 AM