Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial RR10 Bomber
Loading

Notices

Thread: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler
 
MAC FAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 773
Default Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Seems this forum section gets very little traffic since the Capra came out. Is it just me or is this rig falling by the wayside?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Kinda
I think the 2.2 rigs are getting eclipsed by the 1.9 for the most part

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,043
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Kinda
I think the 2.2 rigs are getting eclipsed by the 1.9 for the most part

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I would agree with this. 1.9 tires are now larger than the size of the early 2.2 tires. It's tough to find places to challenge 2.2 rigs.

Also, the Bomber is just an older platform. It's still awesome and worth having, but a lot of people move on to the newest, best thing.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave
 
WHITE-TRASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 4,497
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I would agree with this. 1.9 tires are now larger than the size of the early 2.2 tires. It's tough to find places to challenge 2.2 rigs.

Also, the Bomber is just an older platform. It's still awesome and worth having, but a lot of people move on to the newest, best thing.
Meh, 1.9s are more popular in your area of interest and maybe local but in the comp world they are only used to build larger tires with. Not 1 person shows up to a comp with 1.9's.

The bomber is kind of a large, clunky rig that is fun but grows long in the tooth at least for me. Mine is beyond the normal "built" level and I still haven't plugged in a battery since early spring.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Well I use mine every other weekend but I don't always have good pictures or videos to post.

I'm also completly unable to mount my MT/R and chanquish wheels which is enough to bench the Bomber...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,043
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Meh, 1.9s are more popular in your area of interest and maybe local but in the comp world they are only used to build larger tires with. Not 1 person shows up to a comp with 1.9's.



The bomber is kind of a large, clunky rig that is fun but grows long in the tooth at least for me. Mine is beyond the normal "built" level and I still haven't plugged in a battery since early spring.

Well I only speak coming from the fun world since I don't comp.

Aren't tire sizes governed in comps?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Well I use mine every other weekend but I don't always have good pictures or videos to post.

I'm also completly unable to mount my MT/R and chanquish wheels which is enough to bench the Bomber...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fanquish wheels are easy to mount and RC4WD beads typically aren't tricky. What issue are you having?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
WHITE-TRASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 4,497
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Well I only speak coming from the fun world since I don't comp.

Aren't tire sizes governed in comps?


6" is the max tire height for sporty and pro. Most run 5.5-5.75" though.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,043
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
6" is the max tire height for sporty and pro. Most run 5.5-5.75" though.

Ah so it's OD and not related to wheel size at all. Makes complete sense to me. I never understood limiting something to 1.9 or 2.2 when that's irrelevant. The OD is what matters.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Well I only speak coming from the fun world since I don't comp.

Aren't tire sizes governed in comps?





Fanquish wheels are easy to mount and RC4WD beads typically aren't tricky. What issue are you having?
For my wheel problems, check out the MT/R post in the bomber section

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:13 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: CRG
Posts: 251
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

I still really like mine as well. I don't get out much with anything lately, but my Bomber is my only rig. I'm nearly finished building a custom-caged "class 3ish" 1.9 crawler with dig, a winch, full interior, etc. It started as a Bomber rebuild and the only Bomber part remaining is the front driveshaft, at this point. I even switched to a Wraith skid most recently.

I agree that 2.2 rigs seem to make things easier, which is exactly why I'm building a 1.9 truck. We've got a great spot with lines for days and spending 6 hours out there doesn't present many real challenges to the Bomber...providing it doesn't get too narrow.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave
 
WHITE-TRASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tri-cities, WA
Posts: 4,497
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Ah so it's OD and not related to wheel size at all. Makes complete sense to me. I never understood limiting something to 1.9 or 2.2 when that's irrelevant. The OD is what matters.
Yup OD matters more than anything. A local group is kicking around a capra class, pretty much have to run everything that comes stock but you can change the wheels to anything you want as long as its 1.9". Wrf, why not 2.2? His argument is that people will start showing up with short course or 1/8 buggy tires and wheels... What is the advantage to that? If I saw an advantage I'd be running them and so would everyone else. Myself and a few others are pushing for 5" max height but there is so.e weird resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRayRay View Post
I still really like mine as well. I don't get out much with anything lately, but my Bomber is my only rig. I'm nearly finished building a custom-caged "class 3ish" 1.9 crawler with dig, a winch, full interior, etc. It started as a Bomber rebuild and the only Bomber part remaining is the front driveshaft, at this point. I even switched to a Wraith skid most recently.

I agree that 2.2 rigs seem to make things easier, which is exactly why I'm building a 1.9 truck. We've got a great spot with lines for days and spending 6 hours out there doesn't present many real challenges to the Bomber...providing it doesn't get too narrow.
If you are using a bomber as a crawler then you don't have all that great of crawling twrrain.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: CRG
Posts: 251
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Meh, 1.9s are more popular in your area of interest and maybe local but in the comp world they are only used to build larger tires with. Not 1 person shows up to a comp with 1.9's.

The bomber is kind of a large, clunky rig that is fun but grows long in the tooth at least for me. Mine is beyond the normal "built" level and I still haven't plugged in a battery since early spring.
You're comparing 1.9 trail/scale/crawlers with the "comp scene" I don't really think that Axial designed the Bomber to be a "comp rig," whatever that means to you. Just because it came stock with 2.2's doesn't mean it has to be able to be built to keep up with Lord Crawl Almighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
If you are using a bomber as a crawler then you don't have all that great of crawling twrrain.
It's all relative bruh...did you overlook the part where I said that my Bomber is my only truck. Run whatcha brung.

Regarding the terrain: you may have been there. It's not really that far from you and there have been a few "comps" out there in years past.

elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: High Altitude
Posts: 1,307
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

No. My bomber is the most versatile rig I own, it will crawl some impressive lines and haul ass all on the same set up. There's a reason its the only rig of choice for the Scale Ultra 5k races.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PNDub
Posts: 667
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

I dont think so. It will be popular for many years I think, just like the wraith. The thing that makes it seem like this is no doubt because of the releases this year. It has been an awesome year honestly for literally every class of rig, aftermarket etc.... Great stuff came out so the Bombers may have taken a lower spot on the shelves. It is still one of my favorite though and I think they will still be very popular in the somewhat near future until it is really dated by some new wicked 2.2 platform. I cant think of many 2.2 rigs that are as fun (as far as factory rigs) except my Losi RR. I love em still, hopefully im right and theyre here to stay.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
No. My bomber is the most versatile rig I own, it will crawl some impressive lines and haul ass all on the same set up. There's a reason its the only rig of choice for the Scale Ultra 5k races.
This. My Bomber is still my favorite truck, and is the one I ALWAYS grab if I'm going to a new spot that I don't know well, because I know the Bomber has the best chance of handling that terrain regardless of what it is.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 16
Smile Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
This. My Bomber is still my favorite truck, and is the one I ALWAYS grab if I'm going to a new spot that I don't know well, because I know the Bomber has the best chance of handling that terrain regardless of what it is.
I also do the same with my Bomber. For the last 1 year of driving the bomber i have more then few hundred miles on it. Running 3S and big 3660 motor. Crawling all over the mountains in my country. Almost nothing can stop it.

I dont do comps and dont know the terrain there, but the mountains here have everything: big rocks, small rocks, tree roots everywhere, dirt everywhere, very steep places, grass, places where you need to use hands to go up.

All this stuff the Bomber do and ask for more. Also durability. My hikes are around 6-12 hours each. Few stops only. Endurance hiking and the Bomber can do it with almost no broken parts.
(metal axles, UD gears, bomber kit, Mamba X, hobbywing motor) and not shortened (shortened Bomber is stupid performance wise for my terrain). Short WB Bomber is good for very specific places.Everywhere else is worse then full length (hundreds of miles tests behind this statement )

So in the end all have their opinions. And if i have to compare my personal opinion to that of White Trash, about the capabilities of the Bomber platform, i cant take his opinion seriously at all.

ps: the best tires for mountains with roots, dirt, stone and gravel are Louise/ Duratrax Rowdy/Showdown that i have tested. Also their price is half or more then the other high performance tires . Oh and HB Rovers. win win
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 16
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Also also, after the people in the group i run sometimes with, see the performance of the louise/ duratrax tires, a lot of them bought the same tires. Now they can follow me more. And some of them bought Bombers after seeing mine.

Just tests after tests. Very specific tests with small changes every time and seeing the results. This process i enjoy a lot.
My 1.9 rig that do all the mountains also, is highly tuned and modified TRX4. A platform that when i first started to modify mine, the general thinking on this site was that trx4 is a Scale Trail crawler and can not perform with the best. Maybe for comps this is true, but there is not a single RC in my group of crawling buddies that crawl better.

Just my Personal Honest opinion here
So *shrug*
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #18
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

When you say shortened bomber is worse, are you talking about wraith length or twin hammer length?

I bought everything for the wraith length rear conversion to get a more scale look

Im kinda worried now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 16
Smile Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
When you say shortened bomber is worse, are you talking about wraith length or twin hammer length?

I bought everything for the wraith length rear conversion to get a more scale look

Im kinda worried now

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I tested with twin hammer length trailing arms and wraith's (and proper upper links). Back only. Wraith length is in the middle. Front geometry of the bomber is perfect and any shortening there is not so good.

See the important part here: The tire OD is very important factor. Because it rises the car up and negates some of the length.

With other words long wheel base with 150mm tires is almost the same as a little shorter wheelbase with 140mm tires. (negate the minuses of long wheelbase with taller tires)

The longer wheelbase also helps with uphill climb.
When i shortened to twin hammer trailing arms i had to put around 60grams per wheel just to be able to achieve the same uphill climbs.

The difference to wraith length is not so noticeable if you are not comparing step by step on same terrain.

So go for the better look ;)

The parts for shorter wheelbase are relatively cheap so you can test. You can always go back later.
Veygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #20
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: Is the Bomber a thing of the past?

Yeah you are right
I got the full stainless link set from JEC and the stainless Wraith trailing arms.
Should add some weight on its own vs the aluminum and plastics.

I have a set of AR60 brass knuckles from TSS going in as well.

He will climb, I was just worried about the length after reading your post

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Is the Bomber a thing of the past? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new Axial thing, not the last new thing but another new thing. svt923 General Scale Talk 215 05-16-2019 08:34 PM
Past axialfest's Frank211 Chit Chat 12 04-25-2019 04:41 PM
Crawlers Past BCCrawlerZ 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-21-2017 08:41 AM
Flash From The Past Axial Rose Videos! 5 04-13-2016 05:14 PM
Imthatguy's Jeep thing video thing. imthatguy Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2013 09:13 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com