Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: not another Bomber build thread, no really

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default not another Bomber build thread, no really

Thought I would join in and share my new RR10 Bomber. Can't take any credit for building it, as it was a kit roller already put together when I bought it. But I'll list all the stuff I installed.

But first, here's how she sits today:

and here's what it looked like when I bought it:

Electronics
  • Mamba Monster X ESC
  • Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Pro 3300kv sensored brushless motor
  • Savox SW1210MG servo (running 8.0V off the Mamba's internal BEC)
  • DumboRC X6FG transmitter/receiver set (10V max input)

So far everything is performing perfectly, except maybe the smallish 2600mah Gens Ace 3S battery. But I found out the Zeee 5200mAh 50C 11.1V 3S battery will just barely squeeze in there and give me double the capacity.

Installed Mods
I'm so glad I bought a Bomber and gave it some balls. It's so much fun, though it tips over quite often. High speed turns no good - have to keep reminding myself this isn't a race car.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Mletchworth; 02-27-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: not another Bomber build thread, no really

Went on a little lunchtime trail hike today with the Bomber. To my surprise, there were TONS of rocky stream areas for splashing around in. And I found this cool spillway thing:

Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Barndog Racing X-long panels with upper triangles!!

Last edited by Mletchworth; 02-21-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

Nice looking bomber, those skins are sharp! That's a cool looking spot you found as well.

Did the stock tires mount onto the amazon wheels ok? Those are good looking wheels, mind sharing which ones you got? I just put some Proline Super Swamper XL's on SSD rims, but now have the stock tires to do something with.

Lights- be curious to see what you go with. I recently put an Associated 120mm light bar on my bomber. Really nice light for a good price, plus its aluminum. However, after getting it hooked up and playing with it in the dark, I need more lights! Specifically I need to get some rock lights and I also would like to add a small bar up front to the stinger.

I'm debating right now about which Holmes motor to buy. Any thoughts on Trailmaster vs. Puller Pro? I have the Puller Pro V2 Rock Crawler 3500kv in my cart, about to hit the purchase button but keep second guessing myself! I'll be running on 2s for a while, almost all crawling besides taking the trail to and from the rocks.
Cocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Nice looking truck. I love the "Fully" wheels.

Great place to crawl as well.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocamper View Post
Did the stock tires mount onto the amazon wheels ok? Those are good looking wheels, mind sharing which ones you got?
The stock tires mounted up just fine on these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5TZN6T...p_mob_ap_share

I might upgrade to some XL swampers at some point but I wanna see how these tires do first. They seem pretty capable at first glance.

Quote:
I'm debating right now about which Holmes motor to buy. Any thoughts on Trailmaster vs. Puller Pro? I have the Puller Pro V2 Rock Crawler 3500kv in my cart, about to hit the purchase button but keep second guessing myself! I'll be running on 2s for a while, almost all crawling besides taking the trail to and from the rocks.
No experience with any other Holmes Hobbies motors. The Trailmaster Pro is awesome though. I'm only running 3s.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mletchworth; 02-21-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mletchworth View Post
The stock tires mounted up just fine on these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5TZN6T...p_mob_ap_share

I might upgrade to some XL swampers at some point but I wanna see how these tires do first. They seem pretty capable at first glance.

No experience with any other Holmes Hobbies motors. The Trailmaster Pro is awesome though. I'm only running 3s.

Thanks. I think the stock tires are surprisingly capable, that's why I want to mount them on a different set of wheels. Of course the wheels you linked are out of stock! Guess I'll look around to see what else there is, just worried about getting cheap Chinese wheels that won't play nice with tires, when I could have put that towards some nicer SSD wheels. Speaking of SSD- highly recommend them with the Proline "insert", they mount up the PL tires so nice and easy...

Thanks for the feedback on the Trailmaster.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Speaking of SSD- highly recommend them with the Proline "insert", they mount up the PL tires so nice and easy....
I've got a set of 1.9 SSD contenders on my SCX10.2 XJ. They are nice. I also have a set of 1.9 Amazon beadlocks with Proline Krawlers mounted. They all worked fine for me so far.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
I've got a set of 1.9 SSD contenders on my SCX10.2 XJ. They are nice. I also have a set of 1.9 Amazon beadlocks with Proline Krawlers mounted. They all worked fine for me so far.

I probably should have stated the 2.2 ssd proline version worked great with proline tires. I have read that proline (2.2) don’t play nice with all rims.

Sorry, don’t mean to sidetrack your thread!

But since I have your attention and you recently removed the stock tires from the stock rims, what method did you use and any tips?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Sorry, don’t mean to sidetrack your thread!

But since I have your attention and you recently removed the stock tires from the stock rims, what method did you use and any tips?

Thanks!
No worries mate. I didn't use any special method, just put the inner ring inside, made sure it was centered, put on the front part lining up the bead, then put on the back and lined up the holes. Pressed together with my hand and tightened up the 6 screws. Nothing to worry about.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Here are some close-ups

Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Personally I have 5 or 6 sets of those wheels from ebay. I have mounted no problems the stock bomber tires, ripsaws, falken wildpeaks and the axial bfg krawlers with no problems at all. Even have some with closed cell foams both the single stage and dual stage. Love those cheap options avg cost about 35 a set. Just get the 35mm width ones.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:43 PM   #13

Thanks guys. Good to know on those wheels. Off to shop some more, damn hobby!

I was wondering what method you had used to get the stock tires off the stock rims, but maybe you didn’t have to deal with the glued tires. Sorry, sidetracking you’re thread again!
Old 02-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good to know on those wheels. Off to shop some more, damn hobby!

I was wondering what method you had used to get the stock tires off the stock rims, but maybe you didn’t have to deal with the glued tires. Sorry, sidetracking you’re thread again!
Yeah, it's the kit version so it came with plastic beadlocks. I did try to get some Traxxas canyon trail tires off the factory glued rims with a heat gun but it didn't end well.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, it's the kit version so it came with plastic beadlocks. I did try to get some Traxxas canyon trail tires off the factory glued rims with a heat gun but it didn't end well.

I figured that was the case with the kit wheels.

I’m going to try the “light bulb” method I found on here, hoping to reuse the tires on some new rims, pretty sure my wife would not be happy if I used the oven! I also have a heat gun, but have read mixed results...
Old 02-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Not to hijack the thread here but I boil the tires off. Use a old pot toss tire in boil it for about 5 min flip it for another 5 min then pull out and set in sink and push on bead. I use a old metal pair of tongs to get the tire out but it also works well to push on bead. If it doesn't budge toss back in the water. So far I have done 4 sets and could reuse all the tires and wheels. As a plus it doesn't smell too bad (the wife would kill me if I used the oven method) and the tires are very clean after.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #17

I think we are doing a fine job of hijacking this thread!

I just did one tire using the light bulb method, wow, super easy and no mess. Set it up in the garage and worked as advertised. There is a tiny bit of glue leftover, but I don’t think it will hurt anything.

Hijack over, sorry Mletchworth!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Bought some gently used Proline Flat Iron XL tires and Crawler Innovations double deuce foams. They're about the same size as the stock tires, but a little wider and hopefully better grip.

Last edited by Mletchworth; 02-26-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #19

That’s interesting about the size comparison to stockers, my proline ss xl are noticeably larger. Maybe I need to take a huge pic to really tell!!!

Looks good!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That’s interesting about the size comparison to stockers, my proline ss xl are noticeably larger. Maybe I need to take a huge pic to really tell!!!

Looks good!
Oops....

I think I want some super swampers but need to stop spending money on this rig.

not another Bomber build thread, no really - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber sway bar thread powder4breakfast Axial RR10 Bomber 55 05-11-2016 10:39 PM
Aaron G's Bomber build thread dubAron Axial RR10 Bomber 15 03-06-2016 03:54 PM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
not really a build thread more of a upgrade thread... dragit Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-02-2009 10:11 PM