Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Make stock just a little faster...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Default Make stock just a little faster...

I'm after some thoughts on making my stocker Bomber just a little bit faster. I bought this (barely) used and I assume the motor, esc, gearing is all stock. I've already replaced the front steering links with aluminum and a rear sway bar is next.

What I have sitting here is a much higher power serve, and a Hobbywing WP-SC8. The main reason I got the SC8 was I was told this servo would require more power. Given I have this speed controller, and a 3S lipo, I'm curious what a good motor upgrade would be to get some more speed. Not speed demon territory, but some more speed would be nice.

I'm thinking of staying brushed, for budget and because this speed controller is not sensored. And do you think the stock ESC can handle a higher powered serve and a faster motor? I'm not too familiar with "turns" on the motor, and sometimes less turns doesn't mean more speed due to other factors. Would something as simple as a Traxxas 21T motor give a bit of a boost?

Should I associate this with a gearing change as well?

Thanks!
jason26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Make stock just a little faster...

The 550 21t doesn’t really do much for speed. Maybe try the 775 Summit motor and play with the gearing with 3-4s. Brushless is where the speed is. I’ve got a 4068 sized brushless can on mine and it isn’t a crawler anymore.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

You bought a brushless ESC that's meant for short course trucks though. I don't know for sure but I think you'll have to use a brushless motor with that. I'd recommend around 3000kv motor for a decent amount of speed. Stock gearing should be fine with that. But I have no idea how good that ESC will be for crawling. I'm gonna guess it'll be really hard to control at low speeds.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mletchworth View Post
You bought a brushless ESC that's meant for short course trucks though. I don't know for sure but I think you'll have to use a brushless motor with that. I'd recommend around 3000kv motor for a decent amount of speed. Stock gearing should be fine with that. But I have no idea how good that ESC will be for crawling. I'm gonna guess it'll be really hard to control at low speeds.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Oh, I hadn't even thought that this ESC would be for brushless only, I guess it is.. No waste, we have 3 brushless systems in our go fast cars where I'm sure it'll go to use.

So it looks like to go faster, I may be after a complete setup.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I put a Castle Mamba Monster X esc with a Holmes Trailmaster Pro sensored 3300kv motor in my Bomber. It was a beast with that setup. I set the throttle curve using CastleLink so it would really crawl slow under 50% throttle, but could still go plenty fast at full throttle. I actually recently took out that system to put into a new crawler, but it was nice. I would say probably a little too fast for the Bomber though. Because of the locked differentials, trying to turn at high speeds just makes it roll over.

If you want to stay brushed, there's plenty of good quality Holmes Hobbies motors that would give you more wheelspeed. https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Would changing to 3S lipo power with the stock 35T motor and AE5 ESC be another way of making a stock Bomber faster?
IntrepidMercians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidMercians View Post
Would changing to 3S lipo power with the stock 35T motor and AE5 ESC be another way of making a stock Bomber faster?

Yes. I went through 2 stock ESCs on 3s. They’re better suited for 2s with the heavy Bomber. 3s on lighter rigs is possible.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:29 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Yes. I went through 2 stock ESCs on 3s. They’re better suited for 2s with the heavy Bomber. 3s on lighter rigs is possible.

What ESC did you replace the stock one with after you'd killed the second one?

At the risk of getting onto a slippery slope would the cost-effective way to get a little more speed out of my Bomber be to:

1. Go 3S LiPo and risk needing a new ESC
2. Change the motor

I don't want a rocket ship but Ultra 4 style trails are rare things around here so it's a bit more "scoot" I want between minor obstacles.

Last edited by IntrepidMercians; 05-06-2020 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I ended up with a big brushless motor, 4068 sized in 3100kv I think it is. The ESC is an HPI Flux Rage 80amp good for 4s. So it’s well over powered.

Maybe a HobbyWing 1080 ESC or one of their SCT ESCs.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidMercians View Post
I've been running my stock motor/esc on a 3s for a while now. Its my preferred way to run it. 2s is just a little slow. I'd like a little more speed, but just not sure what motor to put in there - I don't want to go brushless, and upgrade the ESC, etc..
Old 06-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post

Thank you Brake Weight, will keep it as-is for the time being.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:33 AM   #12

Killed the servo the other day so stopped by my LHS to grab something much more powerful, and a HobbyWing 1080 ESC to power the new server... When I asked about motors, he sold me a Titan 12T, as they were out of 21T... But now I'm reading the Titan 12T may not be the best.

I'm not concerned about the cost of the motor, but will running it eventually blow my ESC? Or is only the motor at risk? I can live with burning out the motor and then getting a better suited motor from Holmes, etc, but would rather not fry the ESC.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Are you running 2S or 3S?

Factory limit is:

Brushed Motors
540/550/775 Series
2S LiPo or 6S NiMH: ≥10T or\RPM<3000@7.4V

So, technically you may be OK with the 12t - geared correctly, of course - be sure to check motor and ESC temps after a short run.

I personally would NOT run it on 3S....

Factory limit on 3S:

3S LiPo or 9S NiMH: ≥16T or RPM<2000@7.4V

Last edited by durok; 06-27-2020 at 05:19 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

I ran a 12t 550 crawlmaster and it was fun with lots of torque. Then switched to the 8t and it's a lot faster, but torque is less. Next step will be brushless, but having fun now
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote

Make stock just a little faster... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to make a sct faster??? TIREBUSTER Non Crawler RC's 2 12-31-2017 01:58 PM
Make your Wraith go 10MPH faster.... GravelDuster Axial Wraith 19 07-15-2012 02:15 AM
is it worth trying to make an ax10 faster? shaggy2112 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 02-03-2012 09:34 AM
How to make it faster ? MC-Maxim Tamiya Clod Buster 16 02-21-2006 04:43 PM