Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: LF Handling tips on a very fast RR10. Anybody else out there running a lot of speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Default LF Handling tips on a very fast RR10. Anybody else out there running a lot of speed?

I lurk here way more than i should without posting. But here goes! I need some tips on keeping my bomber from wandering at high speeds. I have no issues with throttle, getting up to speed.. brakes, all good. I have the rear sway bar installed as well as many tweaks to the axles, but I have not purchased any new suspension. I own many crawlers so do not need this thing to go slow, this comes camping and likes the open. Perhaps some short course truck shocks? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I can provide photos and details of these builds if wanted as they are pretty cool!

I should add, All the links are replaced with metal, panels etc all changed to some degree, but my experience lacks in the speed section. Obviously the tires play a major part, I like the Super Swampers in 2.2 for trails but this thing rides fine with 2.8" wide street tires as long as its 12mm.. so, I am not trying to fit this truck into its intended purpose by any means. Its more about the tinkering.

Last edited by Napernicus; 09-04-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: More detail
Napernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #2

Default Re: LF Handling tips on a very fast RR10. Anybody else out there running a lot of spe

Unlock your diffs, especially your front one... that's key with high speed maneuverability however the trade off is way less power when the wheels are locking up crawling. Also 4-wheel steering might be an improvement, going in that direction in a few weeks myself with my Bomber.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Red Eye R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: LF Handling tips on a very fast RR10. Anybody else out there running a lot of spe

I went with the Proline Powerstroke rears all the way around. Then I did the dual shocks in each corner. So now I have 2 sets of the rear SC shocks up front and a set of rears and the XT length out back. Right now I have 30wt oil in the fronts and 25 or 20wt in the rear. I can't remember exactly. I played around with the oil package until it behaved the way I wanted on the jumps.

With the solid axles, it is never going to turn or handle bumps well at all at speed. After adding all the scale goodies this rig is around 12 pounds. So it is geared to the ceiling. When I really have a need for speed, I just get the Ultra LX2e off the shelf, toss the 6s battery in it, and lay some rubber down in front of the house.

My $.02,

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
FlatLander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Lowering the ride height and using thicker shock oil should help tremendously. The stock shocks are kind of notorious leakers, so they require regular top offs or outright replacement to maintain consistent damping.
The stock servo is also very weak, you'll notice much more control with a servo strong enough to actually hold the commanded position.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #5

As said, definitely thicker shock oil and run a half droop half sprung set up, aim for the lower links/ trailing arms to be parallel with the ground. I run gmade XD piggybacks front and rear with 40wt front (95mm) and 50wt (113mm) rear. Also put the underdrive gear set in both axles, and then bump up your pinion, this will reduce torque twist and helps in turns. You can also swap in something like an wraith trans which will lowered your cg that'll help in turns too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Last edited by XD60; 10-26-2020 at 12:31 AM.
XD60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

Older post I know... �� I But I put a set of 16mm Tekno buggy shocks on my Bomber. Right now I'm using 40 wt in the front, and 30 wt in the rear shocks. I need to drop the shock oil weight by at least 5, if not 10... Remember, heavier oil is usually a good thing for slower travel and crawling, but with lighter springs and faster speed, you usually want lighter damping.

HTH.
Sergeant82d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:25 PM   #7

My bomber has dual shocks at each corner but I’m not sure what shocks they used. I bought it that way. I’m gonna go through each shock and try 30w in them. I have a Capra for crawling so the bomber is my little ripper... but it handles like a dumpster with a rocket strapped to it.. lol.. hopefully it will calm down a little after I’m done with them
Phoenixfabworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Low, wide and very slight toe out in the front along with the above mentioned heavier shock oil and open front diff.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial 1/10 rc truck, bomber, fast, rr10, rr10 speed bomber

LF Handling tips on a very fast RR10. Anybody else out there running a lot of speed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RR10 2-speed Jus Axial RR10 Bomber 83 02-22-2020 11:15 AM
New RR10 Bomber, Savox 1230 install tips Jettcity1 Axial RR10 Bomber 3 04-02-2019 05:17 PM
weight distribution, need some tips. what are you running? atom631 Axial SCX-10 3 08-06-2010 11:25 AM
F350 3 speed to single speed conversion, tips/ideas needed please neo 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 02-11-2010 02:49 PM