Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Axialfest 2022 Bomber builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axialfest 2022 Bomber builds

It all started with a dirt hill in Bowdoin Park. When my main crawling buddy and I first got into RC crawling, we brought our mostly-stock SCX10IIs to the park to seek adventure. While there, we decided to attack this giant dirt hill with a rapidly-increasing grade. We could get about halfway before either digging in to our frame rails or tumbling back down. That was about two and a half years ago, and we swore one day we'd come back and conquer that damn hill.

Fast forward to later that summer, I saw my first Axialfest video. Two things happened in that moment - one, I decided we HAVE to go eventually. Two, I would enter the Ultra 5K with a Bomber.

I showed it to my friend, and he said "I bet those would make it to the top of that damn hill", and we both decided to buy Bombers right away.

We then proceeded to not buy Bombers until last week.

THE POINT IS, we have Bombers now. And we're building them up for Axialfest next year, and in the meantime, to conquer that damned hill. We both started off with the Savvy 2.0 - here's mine:

Within an hour of owning it, I've peeled the decals, removed the spare, bound it to my DX5 Rugged, soldered in a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 27T, installed a Vanquish sway bar, and then Monster Jam'd the ever-loving hell out of it up and down my street.

Backflipping it off a high curb rules.

I'll be updating both builds in this thread, leading up to our hopeful trip to Axialfest next year. My particular build is going in a minimalist direction, though I might mix it up with a custom body shell. I really mainly just want mine to perform well enough to survive the Ultra 5K.

That, and climb that damn hill.

Last edited by addiemonster; 04-09-2021 at 12:11 AM.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2021, 12:20 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Axialfest 2022 Bomber builds

Congrats on the new rig! it’s looking good so far.

The Ultra 5k is a great goal to have and my personal favorite event at Axialfest. The trucks take a beating for sure..

Why wait till 2022? Still waiting for an official announcement for the West Coast event, but it’s showing on the Horizon calendar which is a good sign!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Congrats on the new rig! it’s looking good so far.

The Ultra 5k is a great goal to have and my personal favorite event at Axialfest. The trucks take a beating for sure..

Why wait till 2022? Still waiting for an official announcement for the West Coast event, but it’s showing on the Horizon calendar which is a good sign!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah, the 5K looks like a blast, and is right up my alley. I'm not a marathon runner or anything, but I have a heart condition and cardio is one of the reasons RC crawling/trailing was so appealing to me in the first place. The 5K just looks like the ultimate version of that, so I'm in!

As for why we're waiting for 2022, time and money. Both my buddy and I work pretty intense shifts, and getting vacation time is kind of a hard sell in our respective fields. We also want to make some fun out of the process, by not only budgeting our builds, but also factoring in putting money aside for the event, such as plane fare and car rental, etc.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Got home from my shift at 11:30PM, decided for some reason to stay up until 5AM mangling a ProLine 4Runner shell.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. First round of upgrades in the mail, as well.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That's a very creative use of that bodyshell!

Pretty dang nifty...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #6

Great goal. I hope you're sticking with it...

I was at Proline By The Fire last weekend and 30 minutes before the start decided to do the 5K ultra. I have no bomber so I entered the 1.9 category with my GSpeed V3 Comp truck. Now mind you I haven't run in about a year, and I just turned 50... Yikes... It was SOOOO MUCH FUN!!! I absolutely loved it and took 2nd place in my class (1.9).

This friday I plan to get a bomber and start building it up for both Axial Fest and PLBTF 2022. This 5K Scale Ultra thing is addicting. My friend did a 6hr enduro (same thing just longer) and said it was AMAZING.

I really hope you stick with your goal and do this race. You will really enjoy it. Much luck and enjoy the process...
ActonRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The 5k races are the most fun thing I've ever done with an RC car. I didn't make BTF a few weeks ago, but I am headed out to Trail Hero this week to race the Sand Hollow 5k.

Here is my current bomber build:

2021-10-02 16.43.04 by Casey Childs, on Flickr

Its completely set up for running a 5k race, dual 3600mah 3s packs mounted in the cab for more capacity and better weight bias, an LCG wraith style trans and a soft suspension so it can handle any terrain at walking/running speeds.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote

Axialfest 2022 Bomber builds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ScoJac builds a Bomber ScoJac Axial RR10 Bomber 40 08-18-2018 07:50 PM
XSRCdesign builds a Bomber kit XSRCdesign Axial RR10 Bomber 80 02-26-2018 06:09 PM
Cultus builds a Bomber! Cultus Axial RR10 Bomber 74 07-09-2017 12:58 PM
dp builds a BOMBER distinctive pd Axial RR10 Bomber 21 03-23-2017 06:24 PM
Jayden builds a bomber JaydenYu Axial RR10 Bomber 9 09-08-2016 10:10 AM