Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Keep stripping servo Horns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Keep stripping servo Horns

I have had my Bomber for about a year and for the life of me, I can't keep a servo horn on it to save my life. I have a 40KG servo, aluminum bead locks and Proline TSL Super Swamper XL's. I've tried cheap and even VP double clamping aluminum servo horns. I sure could use some help because I am tired of buying stuff that is supposed to work but doesn't. BTW, my steering does not bind in the least. Please post any links as I have done searched and searched for things to no avail.

Last edited by Reno340; 05-28-2021 at 11:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Reno340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2021, 12:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Keep stripping servo Horns

Strange - I have a upgraded (read heavy) Bomber with a Holmes SHV500 v1 servo and I just went with an Axial clamping type aluminum servo horn and it's never failed me.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-a...RoC8TgQAvD_BwE
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've had good luck with either the Axial or a Robitronics clamping horn. I replace the dinky stainless clamp bolts with slightly longer grade 10.9 for more thread engagement and you can torque them a bit more.

Even with loctite an abusive driver with a strong servo will still try and work the horn loose. Regular torque checking of the bolts is good practice as I feel the horns typically dont just strip out at once. Typically the bolts get a smidge loose then the steel splines of the servo will quickly wear down the softer aluminum splines of the horn, then they will strip out.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Even with loctite an abusive driver with a strong servo will still try and work the horn loose. Regular torque checking of the bolts is good practice as I feel the horns typically dont just strip out at once. Typically the bolts get a smidge loose then the steel splines of the servo will quickly wear down the softer aluminum splines of the horn, then they will strip out.
It has been that I have been driving it my back yard in the grass. those tires have a lot of side bite and I sometimes end up rolling it. That is when I break them. One was brand new that day. I am even thinking of a servo saver and tried one but it was a little too weak and the outer spring came loose. I am not against using one, just want one that works.
Reno340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno340 View Post
It has been that I have been driving it my back yard in the grass. those tires have a lot of side bite and I sometimes end up rolling it. That is when I break them. One was brand new that day. I am even thinking of a servo saver and tried one but it was a little too weak and the outer spring came loose. I am not against using one, just want one that works.
BUZZZZ Reno I've been there and a couple things to think about one the 40kg type servos are a bang for the buck but are sub par and another thing is using some blue thread lock on the servo horn screw and finally sometimes you have to play around with servo horns on diff servos and lastly aluminum servo horn on steel gear equals servo horn stripping..... Hope this helps and keep BUZZZZZING..........
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keep stripping servo Horns - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo Horns K1llerRC Electronics 16 10-10-2011 10:18 AM
stripping servo horns Bknight General Crawlers 8 03-30-2007 05:38 PM
servo horns jhtoy Electronics 13 02-18-2007 08:26 AM
servo horns Wicked_Jester Newbie General 3 06-13-2006 03:02 PM