Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bgredjeep Bomber build recap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bgredjeep Bomber build recap

I was bored this weekend and made some adjustments to my skid plate design. There was nothing wrong with the first one, I just did some tweaking and beefed it up a bit at the link mounts.

Here's the original and new versions together

Fyi, here's what's left of the radio box. I wanted to keep the front skid plate, but the radio box is pretty in the way of the wraith trans.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

One more quick update. I picked up an nsdrc micro servo to handle the trans shifting duties. I was under the mistaken impression that it would fit the same servo saver since it's 25t. If course I found out that it's a smaller 25t spline so I cobbled together a horn using the included plastic and a bit of aluminum. For now the flex in that arm will act as the servo saver. Other than that no issues and it's working great.

If anyone happens to know of a servo saver that fits their 4.9mm micro 25t spline lmk. I'd prefer to run one for this shifter.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I found this part on thingiverse made to adapt the axial shift servo saver to the micro 25t servo. I made some minor changes to the part (mainly filled in some of the center so it would bottom on the spline instead of the servo case). It was also slightly too tall so I filed it to 9mm (from ~9.3mm when it came off my printer). I also drew and printed a spacer to mimic a counter sunk screw head that the servo saver was made to use. The fit over the m2 screw I used to mount it.

Installed, tested, and working as expected now.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4546674

Old 01-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Awesome job on the Bomber man, it looks and seems to run great!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Awesome job on the Bomber man, it looks and seems to run great!
Thanks. Still my favorite car for sure.

New today, I made myself a mini back half for the chassis. Added a bit of room for up travel so I was able to lower the car some more. Right now the upper links hit the fuel cell right before the shocks bottom. I might be biased, but I think it looks pretty awesome.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Added the back half to my thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5216376
Old 04-05-2022, 07:22 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I'm still waiting on some parts, but I got a start on putting some ryft axles under the bomber. I've been thinking about this swap for a while but finally decided to pull the trigger.

I'm going to stick with the stock housings for now, and probably add beef tubes.

I knew the axles would be wider, but I didn't think about how much wider the lower link mounts would be. Really adds a lot of triangulation to the trailing arms.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I got the front axle attached today.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I knew the axles would be wider, but I didn't think about how much wider
I though the RYFT used an updated version of the AR60. Are they a totally different axle?

If you don't mind, could you post a pic of a bomber axle next to the RYFT axle for comparison?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:15 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
I though the RYFT used an updated version of the AR60. Are they a totally different axle?

If you don't mind, could you post a pic of a bomber axle next to the RYFT axle for comparison?

Yeah, it's a completely new design. I don't think any parts are shared between the 2 axles. The ar14b is wider, larger diameter shafts, larger diameter pinion and bearings. The stock plastic housing seems to be the only down side, but I'll chance that to start with.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, it's a completely new design. I don't think any parts are shared between the 2 axles. The ar14b is wider, larger diameter shafts, larger diameter pinion and bearings. The stock plastic housing seems to be the only down side, but I'll chance that to start with.

I guess I never looked that closely at the RYFT axles. I appreciate the picture. Thank you

smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:00 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Awesome build and mods man, I love it!!!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:37 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Awesome build and mods man, I love it!!!
Thanks man.

I'm still plugging away on this axle swap. It's been a little less of a direct swap than i expected, but its coming together. The front axle and driveshaft is complete. Still waiting on the mip 6mm driveshaft end for the rear axle. I had to order some ssd wheel adapters. If the axles had longer thread I'd be able to use the normal wheel adapters, but they are just a little too thick to allow the lock nut to engage. These ssd adapters are supposed to address that. I also ordered the ssd axle tubes while I was at it.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I've got the ryft axles fully built and installed. I made some changes to my skid plate to better accommodate the wider axles. I had to grind away a good bit on my old skid so the links and trailing arms would clear fully. This updated version went together with no clearance issues.

Also, I had to cut the bottom out of the fuel cell to let the suspension fully compress. I was going to remove it completely, but I like the way it looks so it stays for now.

Once the ssd axle tubes and wheel adapters come in I'll be able to give it a test run.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

The ryft axle swap is (mostly) complete. Usps is taking their time getting the ssd tubes here, but they are finally moving on the tracking again, so soon.

Anyway, I figured I would share some feedback on the swap that might help others be a little more prepared than I was going in. I had seen a number of posts on fb from apparent vitavon plants showing their spotless rigs pimped with every vitavon part.

It looked like the swap was pretty much a direct bolt in. It wasn't far from that but it did take a number of extra small items that I didn't have on hand, so it took a lot longer than expected.

First up, the link mounts for the ryft are 9.5mm wide. You either need to use ryft rod ends and pivot balls, or you'll need spacers to fill the ~2mm gap in each of the mounts. The ryft pivot balls are also 6.8mm diameter so they won't fit the typical incision or Traxxas ends.

Next, the lower link mounts are very wide (apart) on the housing. If you don't already have angled rod ends on your lower links, you'll probably need them. The ar60 link mounts are 115mm apart (center to center). The ryft is 145mm between the mounts. - Related performance note, the wider position of link mounts on the housing means I'm not getting quite as much steering angle as with the ar60 before the tires are into the lower links. It also adds triangulation (~10°) to the trailing arms.

Moving on, wheels. The normal 6 bolt wheel adapters I use on everything don't fit the ryft axles. The same is true for the stock axial adapters from the bomber. Fitting them on the axle isn't an issue, but the m5 wheel nuts won't fit through the center of the adapters. I chucked the nuts into my drill and turned the flange down until they fit the hole, but then I found the adapters are too thick so you don't get into the nylock on the wheel nuts (not enough thread on the axles). Ssd sells adapters for the ryft that are made thinner to solve this. Just one more thing I had to wait on.

The pinion is larger so you'll have to work that out. I run mip driveshafts so I just ordered a couple mip 18115 hubs for mine.

One last note on the install. Unlike the ar60, the caster angle at the knuckles are not adjustable on the ar14b. I normally ran the pinion angle a little higher, then rotated the c-hubs back to set the caster.

I think that covers installing the axles. For the benefits, the shafts are obviously much beefier, as is the pinion. I like the position of the servo as well, but that can be addressed on the ar60. The axle is wider by ~20mm so I'm able to run the same overall width without wide wheel adapters. The improved scrub radius without spacers will be nice.

Here's a few shots of the completed install

Old 04-21-2022, 08:38 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Ssd axle tubes finally showed up yesterday (thanks usps for the 2wk shipping time). Nothing to show, but its ready to run now. Hopefully the tubed housings will hold up for a while. I'd prefer to avoid the weight of full aluminum housings, but if these break that'll be on the list.

The only thing I don't care for on this finished install is the fixed caster on the c hubs. Seems like there's an opportunity for vendors to produce a new c hub with added caster so you don't have to run the pinion so low to get the knuckles to the proper angle. 5-10° would be plenty to make a useful difference. Sadly, nothing out there yet, and probably won't be seeing companies favoring full housings instead. I could draw one up, but I don't have any ability to produce a part (3d printed) that would be strong enough to use for that application. I presume the full housings are all the same as stock.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:13 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Looks good with ryft axles
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:01 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Following. i watched a video on YT of a bomber equipped with ar14b axles. it was pretty sick. so i had to locate a chassis and skid, ended up with a whole truck and its already under the knife. just waiting on parts.

i feel like axial needs to revise the bomber and have it come with ar14b axles installed. they are a much beefier option over the stock ar60's..

the scorpios are looking good on there. nice tall tire.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
One more quick update. I picked up an nsdrc micro servo to handle the trans shifting duties. I was under the mistaken impression that it would fit the same servo saver since it's 25t. If course I found out that it's a smaller 25t spline so I cobbled together a horn using the included plastic and a bit of aluminum. For now the flex in that arm will act as the servo saver. Other than that no issues and it's working great.

If anyone happens to know of a servo saver that fits their 4.9mm micro 25t spline lmk. I'd prefer to run one for this shifter.

It's a bit late, but the Reefs 25t Micro Horn should fit as it is also smaller than a normal 25t horn.

I used one for shifting on my Ryft, which required a little mod to get it to mount and fit to the shift shaft.

Thinking of adding the 2 speed to my bomber, but I've not even ran it yet. lol
Timmahh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
I found this part on thingiverse made to adapt the axial shift servo saver to the micro 25t servo. I made some minor changes to the part (mainly filled in some of the center so it would bottom on the spline instead of the servo case). It was also slightly too tall so I filed it to 9mm (from ~9.3mm when it came off my printer). I also drew and printed a spacer to mimic a counter sunk screw head that the servo saver was made to use. The fit over the m2 screw I used to mount it.

Installed, tested, and working as expected now.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4546674

Sweet solution. Thanks for the work and links.
Timmahh is online now   Reply With Quote

Bgredjeep Bomber build recap - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL weekend recap Deckard Axial Yeti XL 7 08-19-2015 10:32 PM
Nor-Cal Finals Recap! jammin311 California 5 06-16-2010 04:42 PM
Scale Nats Recap microgoat Competitions 0 05-24-2008 02:32 PM