Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Haastnooit’s RR10 Savvy Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Haastnooit’s RR10 Savvy Bomber

Back in RC after a long period. Sold almost all my cars when I got out about 10 years ago but kept my two crawlers. I got a XR10 moa crawler and AXR10 sportsman crawler. Both have build threads on the forum. Noticed the crawler section to be way less active then years before.

Anyhow my daughter sparked my fire for RC again and we started off with the assembly of some Tamiya onroad cars. That was real fun and tasted for more … so when x- mass came we both got a new toy. My daughter got a Ryft and I got a Bomber.

We are currently in the process of improving the RTR cars to a state we like. The Bomber until now is upgraded with:

- CURRIE ANTIROCK YETI SWAY BAR V2 BLACK ANODIZED
- YETI TRAILING ARMS CLEAR ANODIZED
- INCISION RR10 BOMBER 1/4 STAINLESS STEEL LINK KIT

Next step is to update the motor and ESC. I want to change out to a brushless system but don’t know what system would work for my objectives. I have been reading many threads in the Bomber section but I am inconclusive and need some input for my situation.

I want to keep stock pinion (12T) and spurgear (64T).
I want more speed to better keep up with the Ryft.
I will use the car for off-road bashing, perhaps an occasional crawl session.
I will use 3S lipos.
I want to use a motor+ESC combo.

So guys what do you recommend for my situation ?

Last edited by Haastnooit; 01-22-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Haastnooit’s RR10 Savvy Bomber

Mamba x / slate crawler combo is what I put in my wraith. I went with 2850kv on 4s, which definitely made it bashing capable. You might want to step up to the next higher kv if you're sticking to 3s.

This is a good calculator to figure out how you want to set everything up to reach a theoretical top speed... https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Last edited by DRED805; 01-22-2022 at 01:00 PM.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

First, welcome back to the board

Agree with Dred, a Castle Mamba X is a great ESC upgrade. Save a buck and buy a Castle combo and choose a kv rating of your choice. Holmes Puller Pro is my favorite sensored motor. The 2700kv is a fairly popular choice around here.

I don't own a Ryft myself, but based on their stance I believe the Ryft is designed to be a much more stable rig at speed. It has a longer wheelbase and likely wider axles. The Bomber gets pretty squirrelly when you over power it. It shines with a more modest powerplant in my opinion.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:38 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the welcome back and input on the ESC-motor combo. Castle stuff is rather expensive around here, looking at around 270 euro for the MambaX-1406 2850kv combo. I had Castle combo’s before and never had an issue with them, so that is a pro for Castle … but is there a more budget friendly combo that will fulfill my needs ? For example a Hobbywing combo, or even a banggood special that will do the trick. Anyone running either of these in a Bomber ?
Old 01-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the mamba series of escs kick ass it would be hard to find something better
holms hobbies makes a good esc to but i think its more of a sensorless esc and good luck finding them in stock
the new trend is silent escs there making leaps forward there while still keeping the low speed control so the newer the esc probably the better
the mamba is old and loud but still a great esc and has more.features than most as long as you dont mind the sound of a alian ship taking off all the time
i dont think theres anything wrong with the hobbywing brushless set ups but i feel there better in a rig that you dosent need precise motor control like a road car or a basher although there new stuff is saposed to be really good for crawling but i havent ran any of the new hobby wing stuff so i dont have a personal opinion worth a bean
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Mind you I don't own a bomber...

Castle Esc, motor combos are awesome. Premium, top of the line, but you pay for it.

I have a buddy who focuses on performance, he has a Hobby Wing AXE system in his Wraith, and it is rather good at low speed and high-speed hill killing type terrain. He could gear it down a notch and make it an incredible rock crawler with a tire change in my opinion.

The Wraith and Bomber share axles, btw.

The Ryft is a completely different animal, both my buddy and I have one... It's long low and fast. It is built as a hill killer and nothing else it doesn't crawl well due to open diffs, and tall gearing(stock) and it is quite the handful at speed, due to the solid axles. Mine is fully locked now and is impossible to drive on hard surfaces without rolling it. I have a sway bar, 3 lockers and Trailing arm stiffeners on my lowered RYFT.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well I have been pondering my mind for a while about which way to go with the ESC and motor upgrade for the Bomber. Thanks to those who chimed in after my request for input. The Mamba X is most used and also frequently recommended in the reply’s above. However the Castle Mamba X combos are not cheap and not readily available in Europe.

So that let me to seek for alternative systems. Eventually I decided to go with a Hobbywing Xerun AXE 540L 2800kv R2 FOC Sensored Brushless System. I got a very good discount on the system from my regular hobbystore which got me over the line. Hope to receive the delivery in the upcoming days.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I received the Hobbywing AXE combo today and got started with disassembly of the stock setup. Never had a setup in a RC car before with a ferrite magnet installed, bit surprised I must say.

Tomorrow I will proceed and install the new system, looking forward to the performance gain

Old 02-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Before the Bomber I never had a car with LED lights. So I am not experienced with lights what so ever. Now that I am changing the ESC, I am taking of the connection to the stock LED lights as they are directly connected to the stock ESC with some tiny white connectors.

If I want to have lights on the car with the new AXE system what do I have to do to get them working ?

Last edited by Haastnooit; 02-05-2022 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Really bad weather today … rain, rain rain and rain. So enough time to get the AXE system installed. I changed the XT60 connector the Hobbywing combo came with to a IC3 connector so I can keep on using the Spektrum lipos I got for it.

I made a cable retainer to secure the motor leads and sensor cable. I used two tiewraps (big one + small one) and screwed it to the chassis in one of the unused holes in the skidplate. I secured the LED light leads to the cage for future resurrection of the lights.

The stock electronics switch on by connecting the battery to the ESC. The AXE system comes with a switch. The lead on the switch is not that long so positioning of the switch is somewhat limited. I decided to place it on top of the dashboard of the interior. I made a slot in the interior panel to lead the wire through.

Only one minor issue during the whole proces. The connector on the fan for the ESC did not fit in the SR315 receiver. Really strange because I tried it in a spare SR300 receiver, and it would fit with no problem. I had to change the connector to a spare one to solve the problem.

Last edited by Haastnooit; 02-05-2022 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #11

I am currently running the Hobbywing AXE in my bomber and I have been very happy with it. Haven't had much issues with low speed crawling and top speed it was greatly improved...with the stock gearing and motor I believe I clocked it around 12mph...now with the stock gearing and the AXE system I topped out around 25.

And I can agree that our rigs don't handle high speeds very well. I even spent more time then I admit changing out shocks and fine tuning with spring rates and oil and I think I got it the best that I can but still flips over ever so easily around corners unless I power through it while drifting!
Bombernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Weather has been really bad past weeks, too wet and then too cold. But yesterday I finally got a chance to test the new combo out. Speed definitely improved but it still is not amazingly fast.

But that is fine, I wanted it to be able to better keep up with the Ryft of my daughter but solved that by getting my own Ryft.

The bomber is now perfect for trails, quick enough for flat surface and still able to crawl controllable. It is now “paired” up with the 2 speed Bronco TRX4 for the occasional trail run we will be doing this spring.

Haastnooit’s RR10 Savvy Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber rr10 airride General Crawlers 4 11-21-2021 01:38 PM
My Axial RR10 Bomber Fishcharger Axial RR10 Bomber 3 03-14-2018 01:33 PM