Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: BM's SCX10/CGR Blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671offroader View Post
what esc and battery you got on that because i have the 7t Cobalt Puller but i dont know what to run on it. i havent put it on yet.
Tekin FX-R on 11.1 volt LiPos lately. Super smooth low end and all the wheelspeed I need in one package. The CP's are the best brushed motor I've ever run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmahala View Post
I'd have to say thats a clean rig Mike! i wish my paint jobs turned out that good. i can paint 1:1 cars real good but not rc bodies lol. Its been awhile since this threads seen some new pics? hopefully the body isnt to scratched up. lets see some updates.
You're too kind - this is definitely a case of a photo making a paint job look better IMO. It is pretty scratched up now but it still looks good. I do have some updated photos I'll post them up this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaKyoshoVinnie View Post
SO JEALOUS!! Looks amazing. 5 Thumbs up!
Thanks. The cool thing about this build is it's within the scope of the average rc enthusiast, there's really nothing super special going on. You can do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene View Post
Tekin FX-R on a 2c Lipo. (Post# 33)

Helluva nice Blazer. I like the paint.
We need a video of this in action.
Thanks.
I'm working on video. I shot some myself with a mount on my Tx for a small digi cam but it still sucked, I did'nt want to waste y'alls time with it. I need a second pair of hands to shoot vid for me, I'm trying to enlist my brother...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene View Post
Tekin FX-R on a 2c Lipo. (Post# 33)

Helluva nice Blazer. I like the paint.
We need a video of this in action.
thanks alot: mrgreen:
671offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Newer photos for those interested.

I got tired of the cheesy chrome bar that comes with the Pro-Line bumpers, so I made this to replace it:

Some more recent action shots, from a new spot in Hedgesville near the elementary school:

Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #44
DOOH!!!

Hot damn! I love that bumper! Turned out great, very nice work..

Are the corner braces just stuck in the bumper or bolted from the bottom?

Just noticed the o-rings on the shackles too, I'll have to steal that idea as i have the same ones on mine and i don't like that they are larger then the mount, good idea..
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead View Post
Hot damn! I love that bumper! Turned out great, very nice work..

Are the corner braces just stuck in the bumper or bolted from the bottom?

Just noticed the o-rings on the shackles too, I'll have to steal that idea as i have the same ones on mine and i don't like that they are larger then the mount, good idea..
Thanks. It was very easy to make, it's brass rod soldered together with the same solder/flux you'd use on copper plumbing. All easy to find, easy to work with, cheap stuff. The corners just stick in the bumper. I had to flex them up slightly to insert the front bar, then they drop into the holes. I did'nt see the need to do anything further once they were there, it's pretty solid. The only problem with brass is it shows yellow when you scratch it instead of silver. But it's much easier to work with vs. steel. It's good "braze training" so to speak.

No problem steal away. Those are actually some plastic bushings from something, but o-rings would work as well. It looked wrong and I hated the rattling. It's sort of a bee-atch to get assembled but it's worth it...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-17-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Nice job on the bumper. It looks a lot better.
Looks like you have some nice places to run.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

hey sweet truck i like your snorkle alot want to give us some more detail on it
lobi1kanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobi1kanobi View Post
hey sweet truck i like your snorkle alot want to give us some more detail on it
Thank you.
The snorkel is completely home made and was not hard at all. Finding a filter element will be your biggest hurdle by far.
Here's the build details cut-and-pasted from another thread. Fram's part # for the filter element is in there:
--------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted something custom looking vs. a scale reproduction of a commercially available snorkel, so I pretty much had to make it myself. This was inspired by a couple 1:1 rigs I've seen that had similar hand-built snorkels that ended in standard filter elements. After looking for parts and the right tubing for a couple weeks, I've rounded up a cheap and easy solution.

Materials:
* Fram fuel filter #CG3388 (I found it at Tractor Supply for $1.50)
* length of black appliance cord
* length of 4-40 all-thread
* silver pinstripe tape

Remove the wire from the cord casing, and shove the all-thread inside in it's place. This gives the casing rigidity and it will hold it's shape. Make your bends with a standard tubing bender, and shape the casing to fit your rig.

Ream a hole in the body where you want the intake tube to exit. Mine leaves the body out of the cowling right behind the hood on the right side:

Make the bends and route the tubing so it hugs the rack/rollcage/roofline:

And 90 it around the back so the element is out of the way. It sits high in the center as far away from water as possible:

Since these pics I've added thin strips of silver vinyl pinstripe tape at each "joint" (the 90 and the 45, and at the element) to simulate stainless steel clamp bands.

If you can find the filter element the rest is easy to round up. It took about 20 minutes to put together...
--------------------------------------------------------------

And another pic with the "silicone couplings and hose clamps" in place. Each coupling and clamp is a strip of vinyl pinstripe tape (shiny black for the silicone, silver for the clamps) with a small section of silver wire (solder) CA'ed on top to simulate the screw barrel:

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-18-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

do you know where the back of the motor where the wires come out do you know why it turns?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #50

haha that last shot looks pretty kool, mines cr-01 is to slow for that :P
couchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
do you know where the back of the motor where the wires come out do you know why it turns?
You mean a Cobalt Puller motor? I don't quite understand your question, you'll have to elaborate a little.

The aluminum "carriage" that holds the brushes and the end bearing? (what you'd call the rear end bell on a "normal" motor, I suppose it's the same with these) That is NOT supposed to spin, it should be locked inside the black outer can.

If you're looking INSIDE that piece (through the "windows" in the black outer can) a lot more of the end of the armature and commutator is exposed on the Cobalt Puller than a "normal" motor (you can't see the armature at all on a normal motor) Yes, that IS supposed to spin.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to contact Holmes Hobbies directly if you think there's an issue with it, either PM him from here or email him. Or if you post an inquiry in the electronics forum he'll probably see it and respond. John's customer service is top-drawer, he'll help you out...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-19-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

ok thanks. when are you going to post up the video of your scx10?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ok thanks. when are you going to post up the video of your scx10?
I shot a series of short videos yesterday. It should all work out to 5 or 6 minutes of action. I still need to edit and host them somewhere. A day or 2 and I'll have them up...