Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Definitive SCX10 Upgrade Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The Definitive SCX10 Upgrade Thread

Okay,

Not talking about electronics - what are the best, most useful upgrades for the SCX10 - what comes out of the box that can be upgraded or changed to provide improved performance, reliability, enjoyment?

Tires, shocks, anything.

Thanks,

AR
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Body. Make it your own! With that, the mods necessary to run that body, i.e. links, frame mods, etc.
mmbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm a 2.2 guy, so I'm running PL Hammers instead of the stockers. Without actually comparing the two, I would bet they perform better. Moving the battery upfront made a big difference in climbing ability, since I can now conquer places I couldn't before. I also moved the steering servo to the frame, for looks reasons more than anything. It does keep it high and dry for those inevitable water crossings though. I'm still running and tuning, but that's my short list for now.

Troy.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I agree, play with it for some time before spending a ton of cash for very little return. I have comped mine the day after builing and came in third (the only one on 1.9s). I'm impressed by the Flat Irons, most kit tires are throw away, these actually work.

I'm doing exactly as mmbackpacker said, got a body and getting links and accessories to make it my own ride. I plan to leave it alone mechanically because it's fine the way it is. In fact driving this on terrain reminds me of my old 79 Bronco and off roading in the early 80s. It feels very similar to driving a real one. If I want major crawling I'll se one of my purpose built crawlers.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
09 RCA champ!

when you build the kit, dont put the rubber spacer on the shocks. wala...more flex
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Like mentioned above, change the body and add your touch to it. The kit is awesome bone stock! lol. All I did to mine is drill breather holes in the rims and made a rear shock mount to relocate the shocks, and mounted my battery tray up front.

Here are some pics of my setup.(I put back the stock shocks)

chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
09 RCA champ!

the hand brothers kit is also a very nice upgrade
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies - maybe this will become a sticky.

I am looking forward to getting a decent body for mine - I ruined my Trail Ranger body :-(

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The best upgrades I've done so far:
Hand Brothers CMS steering kit
Dinky RC Axial Dinky link (best scale 4 link you can get IMO)
Moving the electronics box to the rear of the chassis to look like a gas tank:
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Another thing some are doing is swapping out the yellow dot PL Flatirons for red dot in the front, red dots beeing the better G8 compound. That allows the front to grab better when climbing steeper terain and letting the rear yellow dots slip a little keeping ya from flipping over backwards.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I should try that, also something I thought made it easier to build was to drill out the upper link holes on tranny mount to 1/8". Since it's captured with a nut there's no reason to have to thread the screw all the way thru the plastic.

As far as a mod, I think the factory body mounts flex too much, make a crossmember for them that screws in to the none used shock holes.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
The best upgrades I've done so far:
Hand Brothers CMS steering kit
Dinky RC Axial Dinky link (best scale 4 link you can get IMO)
Moving the electronics box to the rear of the chassis to look like a gas tank:

Anymore pic's of this mounted? This is the only thread i can find of mounting the box in the back! anyone else have any ideas b-4 i cut stuff
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
Thanks for the replies - maybe this will become a sticky.

I am looking forward to getting a decent body for mine - I ruined my Trail Ranger body :-(
Just paint the outside flat black and it will look cool. Don't forget to mask the wondows.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
Anymore pic's of this mounted? This is the only thread i can find of mounting the box in the back! anyone else have any ideas b-4 i cut stuff

I know I'm replying to an older thread, but I moved my radio box to the back of my scx10. If you swap around the shock tower brace, you'll have two screw holes for the box to mount to. I originally modded the rear frame cap, but since then got the Axial rear bumper which has it's own frame cap. On the rear frame cap there is a support for the battery tray. I found that if you cut it from side to side right in the middle of the bolt hole, it's the perfect length to meet up with the back of the radio box. I plan to glue mine once I have everything sorted out. If you use the bumper, you may need to trim off the mounting posts if you need the bumper up tight to the frame. I'll post pics once I find my camera. I'm thinking about using the space on the front of the shock tower brace for the ESC. Battery will be in the front (2s2p a123).
az_max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Definitive SCX10 Upgrade Thread

I like the battery box / gas tank idea! Pretty cool!
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote