Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Xtrail chasis or SCX chasis for ax10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Xtrail chasis or SCX chasis for ax10

I know Xtrail was before the SCX came out but still seems to be the way to go to convert an ax10. Im just wondering specifically why, now that you can buy the scx chasis? also, not wanting to do droop but get the 61-90mm Aluminum Shocks (http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-61-...0-p-17701.html). Any downfall to that, for either chasis? thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by neuro242; 08-27-2009 at 12:50 AM.
neuro242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i have just started a build of a x-trail chassie useing parts from my ax10 and its a good way to convert from crawler to scaler ,only down fall there is with droop is you wont get scale action suspension , pluss its great if you like scratch building .

the scx10 is a great scaler out of the box as you get all the parts you need to build it .

x-trail = scratch build scaler
scx10= scaler out of the box

hope this helps
smedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, Im just wondering which of the two chasis to go with and why for a ax10 conversion. there are a cpl things i like about getting the stock scx chasis but it seems ppl still like the Xtrail. Just wondering why.
neuro242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Because with the xtrail it is designed to use all your ax10 parts. Just swap them over. But IMO it isn't as scale as the scx10. The scx on he other hand uses a different skid and shock hoops and shocks for that matter. Not to mention the links are different length. I say go scx chassis, build or by the links and get some rc4wd shocks.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

One thing I like about the x-trail over the scx-10 is the shock hoops are part of the frame on the x-trail. On the scx-10 the hoops are plastic and "bolt-on" I have seen many people break the plastic hoops.

But yes the scx-10 frame has more of a scale look to it.

I'm just finishing up on my x-trail build
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would be curious how one is going about breaking the plastic shock hoops. I have beat the snot out of mine, dropped it over steep imbankments and more and the shock hoops show no wear. In fact this is the first time I have seen anything on the shock hoops breaking at all. In fact the only plastic on the scx10 I have heard of anyone having trouble with are the drive shafts, in which mine have failed as well after time.

Back to the chassis part, if you are trying to do it the cheapest possible, then go with the X-Trail. If not the SCX10 chassis is much more realistic and scale. Either way I don't think you will be dissapointed.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
One thing I like about the x-trail over the scx-10 is the shock hoops are part of the frame on the x-trail. On the scx-10 the hoops are plastic and "bolt-on" I have seen many people break the plastic hoops.

But yes the scx-10 frame has more of a scale look to it.

I'm just finishing up on my x-trail build
I would be one of those unfortunate people who broke them :-(. Stupidity DID play a part in it, though. I agree with your statement, a definite weak point on the SCX. It's still a really nice truck, beefier shock hoops would be a plus. They seem to break where the bracket bolts to the frame (the thinnest point). A little more material around the screw holes would probably help with durability. If I break another one, I plan on brazing up some tube mounts. That, and driving it more sensibly...HA!

Can't wait to see your X-Trail rig, bring it along at the next fun run

Troy.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 08-27-2009 at 09:37 AM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've converted and AX-10 to an X-Trail, and another to an SCX-10 chassis.
I prefer the SCX chassis, and here's why.
Brazing. I was able to braze directly to the frame rails to install sliders. I made brackets for front and rear bumpers, but may braze more for wheel wells/roll bar...
the chassis kit comes with everything to get you converted
The bottom skid/trannymount sits lower, a little more scale look, and the driveshafts are at a better angle.
pretty direct fit for a hilux body

I can't really say I don't like the X-Trail. It just needed some more work.
Can't be brazed to, so had to make brackets for sliders and bumpers
Had to trim front and rear chassis to fit (but it's nice that it's longer, if you need it)
Had to make electronics trays
I did bend my chassis, but that was after a 40 foot fall, and it's only got a mild bend, that the exocage straightens out...

the $59 SCX chassis kit (i think that's the price) comes with most of the stuff to easily get you rolling with the fewest customizations to get rolling. Then you can start modding it as you like.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote