Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: METALHEAD'S Ess See Ecks Ten

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

that's a good looking truck you got going there. I'm glad you're not building just another truggy as well.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Nice ride! Are you gonna stay with the red or
go with another color
rubberovrroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by illz302 View Post
Is that a Chevy body with Ford interior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin96 View Post
Definently a chevy interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb5450 View Post
lol
Damn it guys! :-P It's a GMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
Looks great so far. I like the tire to fender clearance , gives it a good aggressive stance .
Thanks poorboy, I like the stance too. I wasn't sure if I wanted the body to sit this high, but this actually kinda just happened and I'm likin where it's going. It should be a pretty capable rig, it's gonna have some ground clearance and plenty of room to stuff tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
that's a good looking truck you got going there. I'm glad you're not building just another truggy as well.
Thanks dieselfuel, glad you're diggin it. I don't hate the truggies or anything, I'm just kinda bored with seeing them. I figured it was time for a trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal. I figure if I call it a "trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal" enough, maybe it'll catch on and everyone will wanna build one. Ya think? :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberovrroc View Post
Nice ride! Are you gonna stay with the red or
go with another color
Thanks rubberovrroc, but I'm not entirely sure about the color yet. If I do go with red, which I've actually thought about, it'll all get sprayed a deeper shade of red, but I'm just not sure yet. I've also thought about a racing-style paint job. Thoughts?
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHEAD View Post
I figured it was time for a trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal. I figure if I call it a "trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal" enough, maybe it'll catch on and everyone will wanna build one. Ya think? :-P
No doubt I'm building a trail-runner SCX10 myself. And of course it's a Chevy! It would be cool to see more of them.

I had that same body before, I think!. Mine was a four door & I made it into a 2dr. But I really like the pickup idea. Somebody should make a newer GM pick-up hardbody.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
No doubt I'm building a trail-runner SCX10 myself. And of course it's a Chevy! It would be cool to see more of them.

I had that same body before, I think!. Mine was a four door & I made it into a 2dr. But I really like the pickup idea. Somebody should make a newer GM pick-up hardbody.
I look forward to your new build Coles. I just looked up your Yukon build and that is the same body as I started out with, except mine's red. This is my second Denali hack job. My first one went from a Denali XL to a straight up Denali.

I was contemplating building a Yukon 2 Door, but I see you beat me to it. Like WAY beat me to it. :-P Good job on that by the way, that's a sweet looking rig.

Here's my progress on the Ess See Ecks Ten:

I love the boat side look, so I had to do it. These are fairly moderate boat sides, but I like the way they turned out.

I didn't want the back panels to get the crap kicked out of them, so I build these little fellas to protect and support them. They look pretty goofy without the box on, kinda like a spray coupe or something...

But they get the job done.

Here's how I have the box sides mounted:

Closeup of one of the lower supports:

So, that's all for now. Thanks for lookin'.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So to dispell any rumors, about ANOTHER TRUGGY (squatch ).......

Quote:
Originally Posted by illz302 View Post
Is that a Chevy body with Ford interior?
Thats the only way it will run with us......

no, really thats looking cool man....so has Ace ran out of aluminum yet?!? Can't wait to see my S10 next to your builds...they are gunna look sweet!!!! Its hard to believe all you have is a jigsaw and a drill....you imagine what you could build with a shop?!?!?!?

good running with ya today...to bad the weather went south....then east..

Last edited by squatch71; 09-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Thanks squatch! Yeah, the weather did take a dump on us. I got pegged in the fawkin ear with a piece of hail. It was just a little bastard, but it got me just right and it stung like a sum-ina-bitch.

Anyway, it was good running, none the less.

So, after I could hear again.... ;)

Rollbar:

I set out to maintain as much of the stock framework as possible, so I wanted to use the stock Axial shock supports. I just cut a piece of aluminum, drilled it out, then countersunk the holes underneath to allow for the tapering in the stock Axial body mounts. Then I just clipped it on.

Then, I built this...

...for the spare tire:

Please excuse the ugly ass rim, it's all I had on hand that I didn't figure I'd be using in the near future.

I wanted to maintain easy access to the battery, so this is what I ended up with:

I figure I'll tie the spare tire carrier to the rear support somehow. I want it to be substantial enough to offer good support to the rest of the rear cage, but still simple and easy enough to offer quick access to the battery. We'll see....

Here are some random shots of the project...

...stripping...

Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Impressive and very well thought out. That spare tire holder is trick!

What are you using to bend up all the aluminum?
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

you knew it was coming.....

Quote:

truggy
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Awesome looking rig so far..Can't wait to see it done..
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
Impressive and very well thought out. That spare tire holder is trick!

What are you using to bend up all the aluminum?
Thanx dude! I'm pretty happy with how it's rollin. It's funny when you say "thought out" because I swear I have to back track on half the shit I do. Eventually it works itself out, but thanks man. I used to bend everything using my hands and a vise, but on this project I started using this feller here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94571

It's made life a lot easier when it comes to bending shtuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
you knew it was coming.....

truggy
t t t t ttt rr trrrru trrruuugggg trrrruuuuuuggg

TRUGGY DEEZE NUTS.

hahahaha...I swear I'm coming over to your house and truggin all your rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
Awesome looking rig so far..Can't wait to see it done..
Thanks man, that'll make at least two of us that are looking forward to it being done. Actually, three. My poor wife is probably tired of it sitting on the counter after I spend the evening wet sanding it in the kitchen sink.

So anyway, yeah....it's all about the bodywork lately. I have a shit-ton of other stuff to do on this guy, but I got all enveloped in the bodywork lately. I used to do 1:1 bodywork/restore/paint/finish-bullshit for a living, now I only do it in 1:10 scale. It's just about as big a pain in the ass as it's ever been, but I have to admit that I like it....ya know....mostly....

So....

I ditched the stupid chromed gas lid deal that the stock body had goin. I stuffed the hole with styrene, bondo-ed it, sanded, primed, then repeated as needed. Then I built up the bed caps. These started out as the sides of a Denali XL (Suburban) so they took a lot of work to make them into convincing bed sides for a pickup. Well...a "trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal". Anyway, I'm happy with the finished product, but what a pain in the ass.

Then I tackled the roof. Styrene meets Tenax, introduced to bondo, to primer, meets more Tenax, additional bondo, more primer....JEeeeZe..... Yeah, it's ugly.

I debated with myself, but eventually I opted for the Hand Brothers frame-mounted steering unit. I'm not a fan of the "bolt on builds" but this seemed like a no-brainer for the SCX-10. After installing it, I realized that this is THE SHIT for frame mounted steering for the SCX-10. Take that for what it's worth, but I'm a fan.

So after all that, I built something for the speed control to mount to. I have a Spektrum 3100 RX tucked into the stock radio box, which is in the stock placement. From there, I built a styrene unit to block out the wheel wells and protect the steering servo and Rooster Crawler. It's ugly, but it serves its purpose.

From there I wired some bullshit to hook the battery (way out back) to the
speed control (way up front).

Here's how it looks all wired up:

...and with the interior bolted onto the frame:

So here's the deal. It's all wired up, and I have driven this little piggy. I have to say that with stock gearing and the Trinity CO27, it's a little on the speedy side. I tuned down the throttle profile on the TX, but damn...this rig goes like a striped-ass-ape. Not LiPo-stupid, just ignorant white trash stoopid. I really wanna get it out on the trails to see how all that equates. All I can say for now is that I can pull four-wheel drifts around the kitchen with two locked axles and my Pomeranian doggy just backs off and gives it space. That must mean something. He's usually pretty interested in my "crawlers".

Anyway, stay tuned for paint updates.

Last edited by METALHEAD; 10-02-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: fawkin typo
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Looking good man.......I've got a used "Ess See Ecks Ten" on the way for the wife........not sure what I'll do for a body yet......probably build a truggy like you're doing .......wanna put a body together for her??????
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #33

Where did you buy that body?
elias15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

This is one awsome build . I have been getting my parts together for a "trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal-theme".

I can't get enough of the boat sides, rear tire mount, and aluminum suports that you have made. JUST SICK.

I wish I had the ability to weld aluminum, it sure would make my truck a lot lighter. I am going to make the bed area like a desert truck. Fuel cell, tire carrier, no floor, and alot of tube work with truck bed sides. That is how it is pictured in my head anyway.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

That is a very nice looking trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal-themed vehicle
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #36

i like it!!! and like the other dood has said its a TRUGGY!!! hahahahaha
onecleanjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big78tord View Post
Looking good man.......I've got a used "Ess See Ecks Ten" on the way for the wife........not sure what I'll do for a body yet......probably build a truggy like you're doing .......wanna put a body together for her??????
I'll tell you this much....at least truggy's don't have box sides that need body work... I'm I think you'll like the Ess See Ecks Ten, it's a great rig. I'll tell ya what, if you find a body, I'll cut it up dude. You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias15 View Post
Where did you buy that body?
I found it on Al Gore's Magical Interweb...:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
This is one awsome build . I have been getting my parts together for a "trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal-theme".

I can't get enough of the boat sides, rear tire mount, and aluminum suports that you have made. JUST SICK.

I wish I had the ability to weld aluminum, it sure would make my truck a lot lighter. I am going to make the bed area like a desert truck. Fuel cell, tire carrier, no floor, and alot of tube work with truck bed sides. That is how it is pictured in my head anyway.
Thanks dude! I'm pretty happy with the way this project is turning out. I'll look for your build man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
That is a very nice looking trail rig/pre-runner-type pickup-style deal-themed vehicle
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecleanjetta View Post
i like it!!! and like the other dood has said its a TRUGGY!!! hahahahaha
Thanks!!! Still NOT A TRUGGY THOUGH!!!! :-P

So, some paint work...

I started by "undercoating" parts of the interior.

Then I kept going...

Next I laid some texture on the lower portions...

Then I masked everything off to keep my insides from getting oversprayed.

Then I sprayed the sucker.

YELLOW!

I debated with myself about the color. I didn't have any yellow rigs around, so I decided it was time. I was drinking rum. I still wasn't sure until after I sprayed it. I ran out of rum. Now I'm glad I went yellow.

Updates soon, thanks for checkin.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

That thing is looking good!, I like the textured rock guard areas, can't wait to see it unmasked. I got the Ess See Ecks Ten, I going to tear it apart and go through everything on it.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big78tord View Post
That thing is looking good!, I like the textured rock guard areas, can't wait to see it unmasked. I got the Ess See Ecks Ten, I going to tear it apart and go through everything on it.
Thanks big78! Dude, the Ess See Ecks Ten is such a clean functional chassis, I really enjoy working on it because everything is so accessible for the most part. What are your thoughts on it so far? I was wheeling mine around the yard last night before the crazy frozen white shit started to fall and I'm very impressed with the rig's trail manners.

Unmasked you say?

This is 2:00 AM-ish the night I painted it. I had a pretty good buzz going. :-P

And here are the same parts, several days later right before I cleaned them up. The lighting is a little better in the second shot. I gave them a pretty good cut and buff to smooth them out good. I have well over 3 hours just in finish work on the paint. :? Obsssesss muuuuuch? Geeze...

Then I built a bumper.

I used 1/4" aluminum as the front cross brace. Then I drilled into the front of the cross brace and mounted another piece of 1/4" aluminum as an upright. The upright is notched on the top left and right and drilled through to the bottom. These serve as additional body mounts. The bumper itself is just some C-channel aluminum that I notched out accordingly to get the appropriate curvature. It's mounted to the upright with another piece of C-channel. I reinforced the bumper itself on the bottom with a solid piece of 1/8" aluminum. This bastard is stout, plus it adds to the overal weight, which I like. It also balances things out by putting that weight up front.

You can see here how it mounts to the frame. I had to notch out the cross brace on the left side so it clears the Hand Bros. steering kit.

Then I shot it with some more texture to match the body. I left the lower reinforcement plate natural aluminum. It matches the other natural aluminum pieces like the roll bar and rear supports.

I really like the way the alumium and the black contrast. It sets off the look I think.

I want to do some detailing on the interior still and I'm gonna wire in some lights. I'm not sure how lit up this thing's gonna be, but I have some ideas.

Thanks for checkin back!

Last edited by METALHEAD; 10-09-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

WOW!! That is looking good, I really like the bumper, it looks stout.

I haven't ran the new rig much, it does wheelies really good though! It has a Traxxas EVX ESC that runs on 14.4 volts to a little stock can motor. Talk about sparks in the dark. I have a rooster and 55 turn on the way for it. Also ordered a hands bro steering kit for it and other misc pieces. I still need some body mounts, it didn't come with them. I also have the Tamiya Bronco body on its way, Ginger likes the looks of a 1:1 she saw on base. May build a couple of bodies for it, I have a new bright jeep that could be lengthened, then I could try my hand a styrene too. What glue are you using?