Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: METALHEAD'S Ess See Ecks Ten

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Dude that paint job is amazing. Front bumper looks pretty durable to say the least!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Wow Metal...Big78 said you had done some work on it....to say the least, looks saweeeet...The yellow is bitchen....kinda reminded me of Stryper (Yellow and Black attack)...Really want to see this one...BTW...what motor are you running??? did I miss that?!?!?!

and my Scout is being trugged.....you can do that.......After my S-10 and the Comp is done of course....

squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Coming together nicely . Can't wait until we can see the finished product. What are you using to texture the bottom of the body? Or did I miss that?
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #44
RCC Addict

I love the color man & that bumper is gangster.
Now we need action shots and scratched paint
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
Hes good at doing that....
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

NICE truggy!!! JK. Looks sweet. Nice job on the body work!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big78tord View Post
WOW!! That is looking good, I really like the bumper, it looks stout.

I haven't ran the new rig much, it does wheelies really good though! It has a Traxxas EVX ESC that runs on 14.4 volts to a little stock can motor. Talk about sparks in the dark. I have a rooster and 55 turn on the way for it. Also ordered a hands bro steering kit for it and other misc pieces. I still need some body mounts, it didn't come with them. I also have the Tamiya Bronco body on its way, Ginger likes the looks of a 1:1 she saw on base. May build a couple of bodies for it, I have a new bright jeep that could be lengthened, then I could try my hand a styrene too. What glue are you using?
Good Lord....14.4 volts to a stock can motor?! DAMN! Thanks big78, this bumper is beefcake fo sho. You'll like that steering kit I think. I use Tenax to glue my shit. I started using Tenax because I can get it over at Hobbyland, and now that's all I use. I've had good luck with it, but maybe there's something better out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Dude that paint job is amazing. Front bumper looks pretty durable to say the least!
Thanks n00b! I spent some time on this paint job, thanks for commenting. hahahaha...the bumper has some chunk to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Wow Metal...Big78 said you had done some work on it....to say the least, looks saweeeet...The yellow is bitchen....kinda reminded me of Stryper (Yellow and Black attack)...Really want to see this one...BTW...what motor are you running??? did I miss that?!?!?!

and my Scout is being trugged.....you can do that.......After my S-10 and the Comp is done of course....

HAhahahahaa! DUDE! Stryper?! Shit...I was going for more of a W.A.S.P. theme. squatch, the motor is a Trinity CO27 Monsterstock Pro. For a brushed 27T motor, running straight up 7.2 volts out of a 5000 NiMH batt, it's pretty quick. I may gear it down to make it more controllable at crawling speeds. As is, I have the throttle profile turned WAY down on the Nomadio to make it a little more predictable off the line. It'll still lift the front tires if it can get the traction though. Not bad for 7.3 pound piglet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
Coming together nicely . Can't wait until we can see the finished product. What are you using to texture the bottom of the body? Or did I miss that?

Thanks duncan, it's getting there. I'm using Duplicolor truck bed coating that comes in a foof can. If you prep your surfaces well, it sticks pretty well. I use it on most of my projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
I love the color man & that bumper is gangster.
Thanks Coles! Action shots coming...maybe I'll get some this weekend. Scratched paint is always par for the course. For about 5 minutes I thought about "saving" this body and using a basher body for regular running. Then I realized that would make me a douche, so I backed directly off of that idea. Although, I have often considered building a "purpose built shelf queen", this just isn't that project.

Quote:
Hes good at doing that....
True enough.

So, scratches it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
NICE truggy!!! JK. Looks sweet. Nice job on the body work!
Thanks ev. The bodywork is fun for awhile, but then the novelty wears off and......:-P Well....the novelty wears off...just like the truggy phase should...

Glad you dig it dude.

So here are some shots of the first assembly after the paint. I have some other plans beyond this, but I had to get it together for some pics.

Full stuff….

I have some other details done, but I have yet to get any pics of them. This little bastard makes me pretty happy.
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Wow man that thing looks SICK!!! Good job man, cant wait to see it "used" "thumbsup"
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

SOOO, you bringin' it on Sundays scratch fest?!?!? right on....

have to talk to you about my S10 project..."ohh master of the bait"...don't know where that came from...but it suits you...

sic fo sho...lookin forward to Sundays run...even if you just bring this so we can OGGLE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHEAD View Post
Good Lord....14.4 volts to a stock can motor?! DAMN!
yeah man...should of seen it...was sweet..almost like flames out of a tail pipe!!!! and he could stand it on its bumper...forward and in reverse....

**EDIT** Seen this rig this weekend...I can tell you this...pics don't do this thing justice...it is awesome...was just bummed that we didn't see it run..radio technicalities suck.....

Last edited by squatch71; 10-19-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr View Post
Wow man that thing looks SICK!!! Good job man, cant wait to see it "used" "thumbsup"
Thanks IDnewcrwlr. Sorry to say though, I have no "used" pics yet. It's still considered "showroom floor". It's only a matter of time though....

Quote:
SOOO, you bringin' it on Sundays scratch fest?!?!? right on....

have to talk to you about my S10 project..."ohh master of the bait"...don't know where that came from...but it suits you...

sic fo sho...lookin forward to Sundays run...even if you just bring this so we can OGGLE!!!

yeah man...should of seen it...was sweet..almost like flames out of a tail pipe!!!! and he could stand it on its bumper...forward and in reverse....

**EDIT** Seen this rig this weekend...I can tell you this...pics don't do this thing justice...it is awesome...was just bummed that we didn't see it run..radio technicalities suck.....

Dude, you're too kind. I can't believe I couldn't finger out my radio. :? But that was last month. This weekend it's getting USED.

So I'm finally getting around to updating this thread. I've been working sporatically on this project, so here are some pics of what I've done.

First, some "outside shots" that I took before I whored it out with decals. That's right, I whored it. I whored it up good. So, enjoy the puritan shots while you can. :-P

WHOOP WHOOP ***WARNING!!!!!***POSER SHOT!!!***

Okay, so I took it back to the workbench to do some finish work. Firstly, I primed and painted my new upper and lower links for the rear axle.

Then I was all about ditching the chrome grill and trim around the headlights. A little Easy Off and some oven action, some sanding and painting, a little touch-up, and here's where I left it:

With some headlights. This is currently the only lighting on the rig, but I have plans for more.

Then, I was onto the decals. I figured a rig like this needs to look more like a competion-geared outfit, so I think the corporate whoring actually works well with the theme of all of it. Yeah?

Here are a couple shots from October 19th, the proposed "1st run" for this little sumbitch. Big78 took these before I was gonna go run it. Unfortunately, I was Nomadio-ly challenged that day and could NOT figure out how to run this rig with my transmitter. I had to make do with running my stock Hi-Lift with the rest of the crew and their 2.2's, but that is another story...

It mostly just sat around until today. I had the day off, so I did some work on the rear end that I'd intended to do for awhile. Check it:

BED CAPS:

I'm undecided about leaving them natural aluminum or painting them. All I know is that they add some much-needed rigidity to the bed sides. I still might tie them together somehow, but for now, I'm rolling like this. The plan is to get some running in this coming weekend, so this may be the last "showroom floor" shots I get.

Thanks for checking back!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The plan is to get some running in this coming weekend, so this may be the last "showroom floor" shots I get.
Right, you know it's just a shelf queen. Sorry I won't be there to record the carnage on the maiden voyage (I know it's going for a swim)Have fun and take some pics for me.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #52
RCC Addict

man that rig came out great, good job!!! paypal ready when you lose interest
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Right, you know it's just a shelf queen. Sorry I won't be there to record the carnage on the maiden voyage (I know it's going for a swim)Have fun and take some pics for me.

Okay........I fully deserve the shelf queen comment, but the term "carnage" seems so harsh... :-P Besides that dude, it's just too cold this time of year for a swim. I got to break this thing in easy like...ya know...

We'll miss you guys but I'll try and get some shots. I'm no good with the camera though. :?

Quote:

Thanks ID! Man, the thought of selling one of my bad boys...jeeze...thanks for the offer but I AM A HOARDER!!! You should see my gut pile. Shit, I have a couple 1999-ish Duratrax nitro MT's still! Ahahahahahaha!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

That came out nice . All the little touches make it that much better.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Dick looks happy......

Those bed caps look sweet, but what's this............V V V V V V V V V

Hell yeah I'll get some shots...you bringing the normal crew or just this and your trusty HiLift...

I really wanna see your Truggy run with us...or are you waiting till my S10 gets done....this spring!!!!

Quote:
He'll never sell his babies...if he does, there are 3 people here that will beat him for it....and then with it.....
Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #56
RCC Addict

THAT REALLY NICE MAN I LIKE YOUR STYLE
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Okay........I fully deserve the shelf queen comment, but the term "carnage" seems so harsh... :-P Besides that dude, it's just too cold this time of year for a swim. I got to break this thing in easy like...ya know...

We'll miss you guys but I'll try and get some shots. I'm no good with the camera though. :?
Sooooooo....... is carnage still too harsh of a word????????? I heard it was warm enough for a swim after all!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are the pics????????
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
That came out nice . All the little touches make it that much better.
Thanks duncan, I've uhhh...."touched" a lot on this little bastard. Thanks for noticing.

Quote:
Dick looks happy......
He's drunk dude. hahahahaha....actually, he was being good....:? That's weird.

Quote:
Those bed caps look sweet, but what's this............V V V V V V V V V
Ohhhh..we won't talk about that thing yet. Regarding the bedcaps...I guess we both know how the bedcaps worked out...er....ahhh....OFF....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubAron View Post
THAT REALLY NICE MAN I LIKE YOUR STYLE
Cool man, thanks. That's maybe the first time I've been accused of having style.

Quote:
Sooooooo....... is carnage still too harsh of a word????????? I heard it was warm enough for a swim after all!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are the pics????????
OHHHH...mmmmmmm...yeah....

So okay, I'll be eating a big-shit crow sandwich for the "carnage" comment. The "swim" was more like wading in a kiddie pool, but yeah, we got a little wet. AHAHAHAHahahaha...so I was wrong on both accounts.

Here are my pics....nothing too exciting.

This doesn't look it, but that was a helluva climb. Look at how DARK it is down there....:-P

I don't have any pics of it getting the shizz beat out of it, but I assure you it is no longer a virgin. Video of the wreckage does exist. Squatch and Mitch both got some good video and some running shots. Hopefully they'll post up or email me them shits.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Man, that thing does climb as good as it looks...yes I have vid of it landing on its top and side, and then top and then side again....NOTHING like the tripple lindy mind did down that dark cavern you see in the pics..its a 45 degree climb..but I have a scout...suppose to look beat to crap. Didn't check on posting tonight, got a full on HRDON to get my S10 done to run with this one....

will post pics and the best "vid" I can here...still want to learn how to combine them..anyone?? PM me...thanks.

sooooooo when we going again..soon as the "parts" are back on??? think you should take your red rig and see what it does....I'll carry batteries next time...

btw....the pic with it on the rock...it climbed that by itself..no touchy..and it was a hell of a effort...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
I can attest that its tough..took a couple for the team...think it needs a stinger....

Hey metal, when we get together for my S10, I'll grab my charger and see if we can't get some of your batteries charged better for your radio...

Last edited by squatch71; 11-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Those are some good picts. I sure can't wait for the video though . My friends and I have had a blast making videos our rigs. I would like to see this truck in action .