Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Yes...another SCX10 TR thread...with pics and video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SCX10TR used and abused UPDATE Ugly Yota rebirth 10/25/10

Figured ide add this thread for those of you thinkin bout buying the SCX10 TR RTR

Got my TR in the other day and immediately started roughin it up. I have to say, i am VERY impressed. First day I ran it with the battery in the back like it came, on a dry day. I have a rock pile in the back that leads to some old pavers from a patio Im building, nothing planned, just crawled it the way I found it. Another area was pavers side by side just wide enough for the truck to cross that I set up in different configurations. Ill let the pics do the rest of the talkin. Oh, no poser shots either except the flex shot with the tires, the rest were shot while driving.

Got Flex?

Hittin the Rocks

The Gap

King of the Hill

Wheelies!

The Paver course

Stuck LOL

End of 1st battery pack

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 10-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Day two, battery moved to the front and rain added to the mix. Finally ran into trouble. 1) battery up front makes the front heavy so its harder to "hop" over obstacles which made it harder to pass some areas. More scale tho i guess. 2) glitching...what a pain, often the ESC would shut down in key tight areas making for some annoying times. Creeping was hard due to it shaking alot. Due to some good advice i hope to have this fixed soon with a BEC. 3) Rear driveshaft fall off ending my day, but didnt break anything so all is well!!!

This thing handled the rain no problem, made it alot of fun and a little difficult in areas but still made me proud. Dont laugh at the videos, seems like when I finally try to capture video my driving goes to crap lol...and no I dont live in a Ghetto, the cops scream down my street all the time

First time in the rain

Pavers wet

The Gap wet

Whoops

No more forward wheelies...but backward wheelies are fun too!!!

backward wheelies can lead to problems lol

Failure video crossing the gap

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 10-04-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like you're having some fun!
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Thanks for posting. What type of run time are you getting? What type of battery are you running? Would like to see some video of it doing general off roading (trail riding) too see wheel speed and see how it handles trail type stuff.
phunkodelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

x2 above

and it might be a noob Q but whats BEC?

"Due to some good advice i hope to have this fixed soon with a BEC"
tj on 37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sweet! thanks, i plan on getting one of those for my gf. looks like a great rig
LS1Armyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj on 37s View Post
x2 above

and it might be a noob Q but whats BEC?

"Due to some good advice i hope to have this fixed soon with a BEC"
Battery Eliminator Circuit...BEC

It does a few cool things....

It makes it so we can run our receivers (also servos and anything plugged into the Receiver) off of the same battery as the motor instead of having to have a separate battery to power the receiver.

It supplies a constant, more reliable voltage to the receiver. Very important if you want to get the maximum power out of a 6v mega-torque servo(or two). Otherwise, many stock internal BEC's(located in the ESC) only supply voltage like 4.8-5.2. Hardly adequate for a servo that hungers for more voltage..

Google battery Eliminator Circuit as well, it's fun!..LOL

Hope this helped...

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yup that happened to me too, except the front and rear came undone
oh and how did you get your tail lights on?
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

This this is GREAT!!! I usually get about 45minutes to an hour with my 3600 battery. Its not the fastest thing in the world, its a little quicker than walking pace, but it handles itself VERY well at full speed on a rough trail. Ill try to get it out this week and maybe get a video of it runnin full out on some rough terrain. Im very happy with how it crawls and look forward to makin it better!!!

OH, all the lights worked out of the box, just plugged my battery in, turned it on and they worked.

Matt
Old 10-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Nice pics!

I love my SCX10 TR and will soon be moving my battery up front also.
Bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Nice pics! I also just got one of these and am having a lot of fun! I moved the battery to the front and it seems to crawl a lot better now
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

love the look of it! it really looks better than i thought! nice place to crawl too
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
love the look of it! it really looks better than i thought! nice place to crawl too
I built a patio and a rock wall using some pavers and rocks from a civil war era wall that fell on a friend property after a big storm. He needed the rock moved so I took as much as I could and it was a bit too much. The extra just kinda got thrown behind the garage as it is in the pics. I didnt move anything at all, just found it and started crawlin lol. Its a challenge and I love tryin to find the best way thru it all. I think the looks will be changin soon tho...

Matt
Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #14

looks great man!!! a bec will clear up alot of the jitteryness and will also help the servo go lock to lock while crawling a lil better...

i moved my battery upfront on my scx10 kit and didnt really like it... so i threw a tiny lipo i had laying around (1000MAH to replace the 5000mah lipo i was using) in the rear and it handles itself alot better... (my suggestion to anyone is ditch the nimh and go lipo for sure)
onecleanjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

That looks too cool. Looks like alot of fun.
billm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Default UPDATES: Hilux Body wheels/tires and lots of crawlin!!!

Been a while, figured Ide update with where my TR is now. I always wanted a hard body so the TR body, bumpers and sliders went up for sale. Finally settled on, yes, just like the rest, a Hilux body. It fits so well on the SCX10 I couldnt pass it up. Ill start the pics from this point to tell the rest.

Fresh Hilux cab and bed

Little bit of trimmin and smoothin

Lookin official...still dunno bout a color, but Im bout ready to crawl!!!

Hittin the rocks for the first time with new body

More to come...

Matt
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Finally decided on a color and somewhat of a "scheme"...but gettin the color JUUUUST right seems to be a trial and error deal. Heres the first green i tried for a while.

Out came the Satin Hunter Green paint

Lookin good and ready to rock on some hacked up garbage tires

Wasnt plannin on doin a bob but the bed kept draggin on stuff so out came the tape and the thread.

This color lasted a good couple weeks but never saw any action outside the backyard rock pile...I finally gave up on the Satin Hunter and went lookin for another green...

Matt
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Satin Olive green was the next color to grab my attention. Its a little light for me, still not convinced Im happy but itll do for now. Completely on coincidence I painted the entire body with brown "rusty metal primer" before spraying the green. This proved to be an AWESOME addition and I highly recomend this step to anyone doin a scale build. Check the damage pics posted here shortly and you will understand!!! With the new paint literally an evening old, i went lookin for a new crawl spot and found a DOOZY!!! It starts with a long tall section of boulders and loose rocks, followed by a LARGE area of loose fist sized rocks into a wash under a bridge, down some large rocks into Stones River...its pure crawler heaven!!! I figured out that im not a very good driver and the SCX10 is a bit tipsy. Anyways, on to the pics!!!

New Paint

Hittin the new spot

5 minutes in, already damaged. SWEET!!!

I can see the water!!!

Just gotta get down to it

Looks tough

I think I can

Reeeeeaaaach

DOH!!!

I dunno...never been in the water before

Meh, why not, whats the worst that could happen?

Conquered first river rock lol

Can still climb wet

Need a snorkle!

The trusty F100...wonder where the inspiration for this paintjob came from??? LOL

Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 11-21-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #19

Are the fender flares on the original body removeable?
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Hacked up Flat Irons lost a bead so on went the stock axial wheels and Flat Irons...I love these things, they were awesome outta the box but the more I abuse em the better they get!!!

Tried this little lip and pulled the entire way in a WICKED wheelie. Tried my best to capture it...best I could do drivin with one hand snappin pics with another lol

Another steep climb I actually figured I wouldnt make...

Kinda surprised myself!

All done, end of an amazing day...poor new paint lol, but I think it looks tough!!!

Alot of the damage came from the truck tippin all the time. Ive since lowered the battery till it rests on the receiver box and added weight to some hummer wheels and Flat Iron tires. Im goin back out tomorrow to try again, hope to see some results! I bought this truck to beat on and Im amazed and very very happy. I highly recommend the TR and hope this thread takes away any hesitation that the plastic links etc might be weak...so far so good!!!
Matt