Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tube bed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tube bed!

What is the best way to start a tube bed?
The material is aluminium tube 6mm.

i don't have a clue to where i start...?:?
warfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Well, for a start, I'd re-think your choice of material. Steel brake line will be a whole lot easier to braze than aluminum tubing.

Aluminum can be brazed, but it of course takes a very specific rod and flux. Aluminum also oxidizes horribly when heated to a temperature sufficient to melt the rod, and this makes it even more difficult for the flux to wet the aluminum and make the rod adhere to it properly.

And if you're brazing directly to the steel SCX10 chassis, I'm not sure if you can even braze aluminum to steel. I don't think it's possible.

I've never done this myself, I only watched the process once. I was told that it was a much more difficult process to master than brass-brazing steel...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Well, for a start, I'd re-think your choice of material. Steel brake line will be a whole lot easier to braze than aluminum tubing.

Aluminum can be brazed, but it of course takes a very specific rod and flux. Aluminum also oxidizes horribly when heated to a temperature sufficient to melt the rod, and this makes it even more difficult for the flux to wet the aluminum and make the rod adhere to it properly.

And if you're brazing directly to the steel SCX10 chassis, I'm not sure if you can even braze aluminum to steel. I don't think it's possible.

I've never done this myself, I only watched the process once. I was told that it was a much more difficult process to master than brass-brazing steel...
To my knowledge steel and aluminum don't mix at all when brazing.

Steel is a good choice, or you can use brass tube/rod.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Yes i know its more difficult but i'm going to give it a try and i already have the solder (durafix) for it.
The thing is, where do i start?
warfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfile View Post
Yes i know its more difficult but i'm going to give it a try and i already have the solder (durafix) for it.
The thing is, where do i start?
I totally forgot about that stuff, it's supposed to be a lot easier to work with and takes less heat, but I've never used it or seen it used though. I've just heard a few things here and there.

Give it a shot and see how it does I'd say the starting point now is trying a few test joints and see how the Durafix behaves.

Then the real task will begin - learning about bending tubes. I think the bending accurately part is waaaaay harder than actually joining tubes.

There's been a ton of tube builds going on here lately. I just finished one, Pinchflat and Kaetwo are finishing up a couple, theres a bunch of others. Search around and you'll get plenty of ideas.

And as far as the brazing steel to aluminum part of it, check out Wreckers Toyota. All the tube work is completely bolt-on: Wrecker's Toyota

Last edited by Big Mike; 10-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

only thing that stopped me going durafix is waiting since i was hawt to get on with brazing, it seemed rasonably priced though but i needed quick access to supplies so i went the other route.
bending tubes to spec is kinda hard and it hindered me on my project, post-up your experience on the durafix rods and GL on your project.

here`s a link on durafix
http://durafix.com/
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote