Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxw13 View Post
What are the lengths of these links?

I believe they are 60mm.

I used the kit on my SCX but am getting some binding in the steering. It's making my servo very warm. I've disconnected the draglink from the knuckle and it turns freely. Once the drag link is mounted it's all tight again. Anyone else have this issue? If so what'd you do to fix it?

Also on the interference issue. I am running the stock shocks, spacers removed and at full compression on either side I loose maybe 1/8" of travel. At full compression on both sides I loose more but You'll never compress both sides at once while wheeling.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

I have not gotten the kit yet, but i've been studying the pics here and here for a long long time...

and to me it looks like on the drag link you would need one of a couple things... Either some bent rod ends so the ball is not at maximum angle at ride height. OR high clearance knuckles OR a spacer inbetween the servo arm and the drag link so the drag link isnt at such a dramatic angle.

rckjeep question for ya: on your up travel are any of the links hitting the frame or another link to limit your flex? Or does the panhard(track) bar hit the axle diff? it looks from the pics that the top 3rd link would contact the panhard bar maybe...

edit: rckjeep, is yours a Honcho or a short wheel base one?

Last edited by zrxw13; 07-28-2010 at 08:52 AM.
zrxw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have not gotten the kit yet, but i've been studying the pics here and here for a long long time...

and to me it looks like on the drag link you would need one of a couple things... Either some bent rod ends so the ball is not at maximum angle at ride height. OR high clearance knuckles OR a spacer inbetween the servo arm and the drag link so the drag link isnt at such a dramatic angle.

rckjeep question for ya: on your up travel are any of the links hitting the frame or another link to limit your flex? Or does the panhard(track) bar hit the axle diff? it looks from the pics that the top 3rd link would contact the panhard bar maybe...

edit: rckjeep, is yours a Honcho or a short wheel base one?
Running the high steer makes the panhard a different angle than the drag link giving you bumpster, not to mention way more interference during the suspension cycle. I'm running the short wb version and my panhard hits the frame when the pass. side compresses and the panhard hits the axle when the drivers side compresses. I may try a spacer under the drag link at the kmuckle to try and more closely match the panhard angle and reduce the drag.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
Running the high steer makes the panhard a different angle than the drag link giving you bumpster, not to mention way more interference during the suspension cycle. I'm running the short wb version and my panhard hits the frame when the pass. side compresses and the panhard hits the axle when the drivers side compresses. I may try a spacer under the drag link at the kmuckle to try and more closely match the panhard angle and reduce the drag.
hmmmm... well it sounds like this kit is great for the true 'scaler' guy that wants the best scale look, but for those of us that want the most articulation and crawling performance out of the scx10, this kit leaves us hangin... Just an expensive frame mount and truss.

In your experiance was there a gain in suspension travel when you went from stock to this kit?
zrxw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
hmmmm... well it sounds like this kit is great for the true 'scaler' guy that wants the best scale look, but for those of us that want the most articulation and crawling performance out of the scx10, this kit leaves us hangin... Just an expensive frame mount and truss.

In your experiance was there a gain in suspension travel when you went from stock to this kit?

I think you have been mislead what this kit is about, You've never get more travel by changing link geometry(of course interference issues aside). This kit is about scale looks. all solid axle trucks produced now run a panhard bar. This kit only hinders travel slightly, if installed correctly. Yes you may need to tweak your setup if it's not stock. I'm using Traxxas lowers that may not be the exact same length as the stock SCX. I am however using the stock shocks & towers. So ride height should be pretty darn close. Without the panhard bar you will get bumpster, which is way they designed it with a 3 link. I love the kit works great. Is it perform better than the stock configuartion or even a 4 link, no. Is it more scale with the similiar performance, definitely.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I just installed some tra2742 links on the bottom of my shocks. It raised the ride height a hair but pretty much have full articulation and i have a hair more then half of the shock bump stops cut out.To raise the steering bar I installed a longer spacer on the steering knuckle inplace of the small one. I found the one on the stock y 3link worked well.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

any reason why the axial 4-link truss cant be used instead of the 3-link w/ panhard?
atom631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #48
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom631 View Post
any reason why the axial 4-link truss cant be used instead of the 3-link w/ panhard?
The 4-link truss can be used. But not really sure on what you're asking.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Got my Honcho CMS kit installed and I just had some questions and comments on it......

My question in now that I have it installed, it seems that my Honcho turns better one way that the other. Is this just an adjustment to the servo, or is this a characteristic of the CMS kit? I have adjusted all the end points on radio and everything, but thought I would ask.

My comments: First, this a very nice kit, with beautifully finished parts. Well thought out, and in my opinion, worth the $45+ that I paid for it. But, I have to say that for that $45, this kit really should come with some detailed instructions on how to install it. I know, the instructions are on this forum and ORCRC, but even those are far from detailed, and are, sorry to say, very poorly written. There are spelling and grammar issues, skipped steps, etc throughout the instructions. I just think that for such a professional product, the instructions should reflect that same professionalism. I am in no way knocking the product, as it is wonderful. I just think that the company that produces it would be taken so much more seriously, with some well put together instructions.
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi_RC View Post
Got my Honcho CMS kit installed and I just had some questions and comments on it......

My question in now that I have it installed, it seems that my Honcho turns better one way that the other. Is this just an adjustment to the servo, or is this a characteristic of the CMS kit? I have adjusted all the end points on radio and everything, but thought I would ask.

My comments: First, this a very nice kit, with beautifully finished parts. Well thought out, and in my opinion, worth the $45+ that I paid for it. But, I have to say that for that $45, this kit really should come with some detailed instructions on how to install it. I know, the instructions are on this forum and ORCRC, but even those are far from detailed, and are, sorry to say, very poorly written. There are spelling and grammar issues, skipped steps, etc throughout the instructions. I just think that for such a professional product, the instructions should reflect that same professionalism. I am in no way knocking the product, as it is wonderful. I just think that the company that produces it would be taken so much more seriously, with some well put together instructions.

I just built my Honcho, been into rc's for years not an expert on crawlers yet and I am thinking about ordering this kit as well. This is not the first post that I have come across where the poster has had issues with the kit and its instructions. I havent ordered my kit yet but I plan on doing a "How To Install Video" so that we can at least give others a chance to better understand how the install should go..

I am not sure if there are any video's posted on You Tube or the net on this kit but I do know that from digging around the board I have found plenty of useful pictures and posts to get me by..
monsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #51

I've had the Hand Bros. kit on my truck for over a year now, and have no complaints at all about performance or binding anywhere.

I do have a question for those who are more knowledgeable with steering and suspension geometry than myself ... I want to get more steering angle from my truck, how would I go about doing so? I've got a longer servo arm installed and that did add a small amount. Maybe its' my steering servo or radio gear not giving me enough servo travel?

I definitely plan on keeping the kit on my truck, but I will be switching to custom links when I drop TRex axles on my truck ... leaf springs will be going out back.

Hand Bros.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #52
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
The 4-link truss can be used. But not really sure on what you're asking.
The mount for the panhead bar mounts to the same location as the Axial 4 link truss. In theory you could four link the front and not have the panhard bar but then you kind of defeat the scale-ness of the design in the first place & you'll end up having bump steer as the suspension cycles.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheeler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
What is the difference between the standard kit and the one for the honcho?
The honcho kit is designed to work with the honchos longer WB
Does anybody know what the exact differences are? Looks like the Honcho kit has the panhard mount farther towards the front of the servo mount? And I assume the upper link is longer on the Honcho? Ayone know the exact length for each kit? Any other differences?
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

has anyone used these kits with leaf springs?
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I ordered the kit for a Honcho and they sent me just the SCX10 kit. Can anyone tell me what is different or what parts I may be missing?
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
I ordered the kit for a Honcho and they sent me just the SCX10 kit. Can anyone tell me what is different or what parts I may be missing?
The honcho kit moves the servo 7mm forward... Its a different servo mount....
burrlytlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #57

Default trouble with steering travel

I am having trouble with the steering traveling more one way than the other. I have longer shocks on my truck and am wondering if this is why. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be awesome.
pwarren1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott VA View Post
The instructions states to use the stock hardware to attach the panhard to the servo but I don't have clearance for a nut between the servo and the servo bracket because with this kit the bracket swings under the servo. It doesn't help that kit comes with three brackets and my servo came with 4 more.

I just installed this on my honcho and the servo horn hits the servo mount limiting my ability to turn left. if you have a honcho, do not buy this kit. i bought it because i saw so many builds using this kit. i hate it, going on ebay tonight.
Stangrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

The RC4WD kit is a perfect setup for a Honcho. Using a 3 link setup on the front, and their included steering link, it's a perfect setup really. No bumpsteer at all.
BennyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Ok. so after some tuning and adding spacers to lower the servo by a mm or 2. this is a great kit. Gonna keep the hand brothers 3 link cms now. works great after some minor changes. i added 2 shims to where the servo mounts to the servo mount. this brought the servo down a little. plus i have the bplt and nut on the servo horn with the nut on the lower side. i had it facing up first and that does not work out so well.
Stangrocka is offline   Reply With Quote