RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/207597-hand-brothers-steering-kit-install-instructions.html)

Tanis 10-29-2009 09:36 AM

Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions

Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions

calikrawler 11-08-2009 10:20 AM

i found that if you dont have stock scx10 links sizes this wont work...

ser3100 11-08-2009 10:42 PM

Is it normal for my SCX10 to have the whole truck shift to one side when compressing the whole front end down? I know it sounds confusing but when i push down on the front, it does not go down level. It shifts slightly to the drivers side (front of truck is facing you). Ill post up some pics of what i mean if it sounds all too confusing.
ser3100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

2JSC 11-08-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ser3100 (Post 2092148)
Is it normal for my SCX10 to have the whole truck shift to one side when compressing the whole front end down? I know it sounds confusing but when i push down on the front, it does not go down level. It shifts slightly to the drivers side (front of truck is facing you). Ill post up some pics of what i mean if it sounds all too confusing.
ser3100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

This is typical of a suspension using a panhard bar. Perfectly normal!

ser3100 11-09-2009 08:06 AM

OK. The only reason i ask is it looks wierd. Plus i kept hearing about how critical it was to use the right rod ends and such or else. But if its normal than it is what it is. Ill post up pics tonight anyways.

HBRC 11-09-2009 09:34 AM

The offset of the chassis during compression may vary depending on your setup.
I needed to make custom links all around since I'm using a slightly shorter shock than stock.
Using the included/stock link lengths, my chassis sat offcenter, and went WAY offcenter during compression. Now it's all good, and barely noticable.

ser3100 11-09-2009 10:16 AM

can you post pics of your setup? Ill post pics tonight.

JeepinDoug 12-31-2009 11:51 AM

I've never been a big fan of panhards or 3 links for that matter.
I delete the whole panhard deal, make 2 upper links and mount to one side of the Hand Bros. axle mount.
A double triangulated 4 link has no need for a panhard, unless the uppers and lowers are angled the same direction.

Scott VA 01-06-2010 04:22 PM

Clearance issue

The instructions states to use the stock hardware to attach the panhard to the servo but I don't have clearance for a nut between the servo and the servo bracket because with this kit the bracket swings under the servo. It doesn't help that kit comes with three brackets and my servo came with 4 more.

calikingcrawler 01-10-2010 01:36 PM

Can you use VP high steer knuckles with the handsbro steering and panhard on the honcho?

Aaronb 02-11-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calikingcrawler (Post 2217639)
Can you use VP high steer knuckles with the handsbro steering and panhard on the honcho?

I dont think it would be an issue, but youll probably have to change the length of some of the links.

jrabenius 02-18-2010 11:13 PM

Not a big fan of 3 links either . . .

. . . And why would you give up a double triangulated four link for a three link?

I am converting an ARTR to a scale build, so all I bought was the SCX10 frame. That's why I have all the orange aluminum links.

I purchased the Hand Brothers CMS steering kit. It arrived today, and I've spent the last two hours installing it, and then taking it off (well, most of it anyway), and putting the stock front suspension back on.

I did not use the included aluminum (drag) link, any of the stainless steel screws, or the aluminum 3 - link mount.

I did end up using the servo mount.

I put a 2MM spacer in between the end of the drag link and the servo arm, and another 6MM spacer between the tie rod and the drag link.

I kept the stock Axial Y-link front suspension. I think it is more scale looking than the 3 link they did, and the geometry works better.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT END GOING OFF CENTER during suspension compression.

The quality of the parts is VERY GOOD - the servo mount and three link mount are very nicely machined, and the fit and finish is good.

I don't like the stainless steel screws - they don't match the black ones that came on my truck, so they stand out and look stupid.

. . . So I paid $47 for a nice servo mount . . . and a bunch of extra parts that I'll never use. OH WELL !

R2, Ryan Rockow 02-19-2010 08:26 PM

This is my SCX10
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...ewpaint009.jpg

Rocktaco01 02-20-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabenius (Post 2309373)
. . . And why would you give up a double triangulated four link for a three link?

I am converting an ARTR to a scale build, so all I bought was the SCX10 frame. That's why I have all the orange aluminum links.

I purchased the Hand Brothers CMS steering kit. It arrived today, and I've spent the last two hours installing it, and then taking it off (well, most of it anyway), and putting the stock front suspension back on.

I did not use the included aluminum (drag) link, any of the stainless steel screws, or the aluminum 3 - link mount.

I did end up using the servo mount.

I put a 2MM spacer in between the end of the drag link and the servo arm, and another 6MM spacer between the tie rod and the drag link.

I kept the stock Axial Y-link front suspension. I think it is more scale looking than the 3 link they did, and the geometry works better.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT END GOING OFF CENTER during suspension compression.

The quality of the parts is VERY GOOD - the servo mount and three link mount are very nicely machined, and the fit and finish is good.

I don't like the stainless steel screws - they don't match the black ones that came on my truck, so they stand out and look stupid.

. . . So I paid $47 for a nice servo mount . . . and a bunch of extra parts that I'll never use. OH WELL !

Funny you mention this. I installed mine last night and removed it right after discovering the panhard bar hit the diff under compression severely limiting up travel.

I considered doing what you have done, but in the interim I will leave it stock. It works muck better.

amcclure125 02-22-2010 08:19 PM

hand bro steering?

will this kit work with a tr?

2JSC 02-22-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocktaco01 (Post 2312848)
Funny you mention this. I installed mine last night and removed it right after discovering the panhard bar hit the diff under compression severely limiting up travel.

I considered doing what you have done, but in the interim I will leave it stock. It works muck better.

If you are not running the stock spacers on the stock shocks then yes it will contact the axle housing. OR you could have cut some threaded rod and made a new panhard bar with a curve in it to clear the axle under compression. The panhard bar does not need to be straight to work properly. Look at the trackbar on a Wrangler, it's got more than 2 curves in it.

Rocktaco01 02-23-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JSC (Post 2317635)
If you are not running the stock spacers on the stock shocks then yes it will contact the axle housing. OR you could have cut some threaded rod and made a new panhard bar with a curve in it to clear the axle under compression. The panhard bar does not need to be straight to work properly. Look at the trackbar on a Wrangler, it's got more than 2 curves in it.

Yes, I totally agree and to be totally honest I left out the spacers during the build simply because I did not see/understand why they were their. After assembly and looking and installed HB kit I didn't see the added benefit of limiting travel, still don't.

I considered bending the PH bar, but that would ultimately end up in the need for a longer bar. I made the decision to hold off befor heavily modifying the kit because a was and still am considering selling it.

It is a nice kit and offers a more realistic appearance. I'm just not sure the benefits out way the stock config. That's just me, nothing against the HB kit.

I did see where another member used this kit in conjunction with the stock 3 link. That seems to me the best alternative...

2JSC 02-23-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocktaco01 (Post 2319611)
I did see where another member used this kit in conjunction with the stock 3 link. That seems to me the best alternative...

You'll get bump steer... that's what the panhard bar is for. "thumbsup"

burrlytlt 02-24-2010 09:07 AM

This kit is designed to work with the stock set up...If you modified your suspension then you will have to change the kit to met your needs...

The intent of the kit is to be more realistic in apperance....

As for the SS screws....We are from the PNW and they dont rust...That is why we supply them ....

Thanks...Chad

sloyota 02-25-2010 08:51 PM

what new length links do you need after installing the HB kit.the stock 106mm links are now to long