Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Keep it real

Default Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions

Hand Brothers steering kit install instructions

Last edited by THX_138; 05-11-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i found that if you dont have stock scx10 links sizes this wont work...
calikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Is it normal for my SCX10 to have the whole truck shift to one side when compressing the whole front end down? I know it sounds confusing but when i push down on the front, it does not go down level. It shifts slightly to the drivers side (front of truck is facing you). Ill post up some pics of what i mean if it sounds all too confusing.
ser3100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Is it normal for my SCX10 to have the whole truck shift to one side when compressing the whole front end down? I know it sounds confusing but when i push down on the front, it does not go down level. It shifts slightly to the drivers side (front of truck is facing you). Ill post up some pics of what i mean if it sounds all too confusing.
ser3100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
This is typical of a suspension using a panhard bar. Perfectly normal!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

OK. The only reason i ask is it looks wierd. Plus i kept hearing about how critical it was to use the right rod ends and such or else. But if its normal than it is what it is. Ill post up pics tonight anyways.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The offset of the chassis during compression may vary depending on your setup.
I needed to make custom links all around since I'm using a slightly shorter shock than stock.
Using the included/stock link lengths, my chassis sat offcenter, and went WAY offcenter during compression. Now it's all good, and barely noticable.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

can you post pics of your setup? Ill post pics tonight.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I've never been a big fan of panhards or 3 links for that matter.
I delete the whole panhard deal, make 2 upper links and mount to one side of the Hand Bros. axle mount.
A double triangulated 4 link has no need for a panhard, unless the uppers and lowers are angled the same direction.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

Default Clearance issue

The instructions states to use the stock hardware to attach the panhard to the servo but I don't have clearance for a nut between the servo and the servo bracket because with this kit the bracket swings under the servo. It doesn't help that kit comes with three brackets and my servo came with 4 more.
Scott VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Can you use VP high steer knuckles with the handsbro steering and panhard on the honcho?
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Can you use VP high steer knuckles with the handsbro steering and panhard on the honcho?
I dont think it would be an issue, but youll probably have to change the length of some of the links.
Aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #12

Default Not a big fan of 3 links either . . .

. . . And why would you give up a double triangulated four link for a three link?

I am converting an ARTR to a scale build, so all I bought was the SCX10 frame. That's why I have all the orange aluminum links.

I purchased the Hand Brothers CMS steering kit. It arrived today, and I've spent the last two hours installing it, and then taking it off (well, most of it anyway), and putting the stock front suspension back on.

I did not use the included aluminum (drag) link, any of the stainless steel screws, or the aluminum 3 - link mount.

I did end up using the servo mount.

I put a 2MM spacer in between the end of the drag link and the servo arm, and another 6MM spacer between the tie rod and the drag link.

I kept the stock Axial Y-link front suspension. I think it is more scale looking than the 3 link they did, and the geometry works better.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT END GOING OFF CENTER during suspension compression.

The quality of the parts is VERY GOOD - the servo mount and three link mount are very nicely machined, and the fit and finish is good.

I don't like the stainless steel screws - they don't match the black ones that came on my truck, so they stand out and look stupid.

. . . So I paid $47 for a nice servo mount . . . and a bunch of extra parts that I'll never use. OH WELL !

Last edited by jrabenius; 02-18-2010 at 11:18 PM.
jrabenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

This is my SCX10
R2, Ryan Rockow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabenius View Post
. . . And why would you give up a double triangulated four link for a three link?

I am converting an ARTR to a scale build, so all I bought was the SCX10 frame. That's why I have all the orange aluminum links.

I purchased the Hand Brothers CMS steering kit. It arrived today, and I've spent the last two hours installing it, and then taking it off (well, most of it anyway), and putting the stock front suspension back on.

I did not use the included aluminum (drag) link, any of the stainless steel screws, or the aluminum 3 - link mount.

I did end up using the servo mount.

I put a 2MM spacer in between the end of the drag link and the servo arm, and another 6MM spacer between the tie rod and the drag link.

I kept the stock Axial Y-link front suspension. I think it is more scale looking than the 3 link they did, and the geometry works better.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT END GOING OFF CENTER during suspension compression.

The quality of the parts is VERY GOOD - the servo mount and three link mount are very nicely machined, and the fit and finish is good.

I don't like the stainless steel screws - they don't match the black ones that came on my truck, so they stand out and look stupid.

. . . So I paid $47 for a nice servo mount . . . and a bunch of extra parts that I'll never use. OH WELL !

Funny you mention this. I installed mine last night and removed it right after discovering the panhard bar hit the diff under compression severely limiting up travel.

I considered doing what you have done, but in the interim I will leave it stock. It works muck better.

Last edited by Rocktaco01; 02-21-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Rocktaco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #15

Default hand bro steering?

will this kit work with a tr?
amcclure125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktaco01 View Post
Funny you mention this. I installed mine last night and removed it right after discovering the panhard bar hit the diff under compression severely limiting up travel.

I considered doing what you have done, but in the interim I will leave it stock. It works muck better.
If you are not running the stock spacers on the stock shocks then yes it will contact the axle housing. OR you could have cut some threaded rod and made a new panhard bar with a curve in it to clear the axle under compression. The panhard bar does not need to be straight to work properly. Look at the trackbar on a Wrangler, it's got more than 2 curves in it.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
If you are not running the stock spacers on the stock shocks then yes it will contact the axle housing. OR you could have cut some threaded rod and made a new panhard bar with a curve in it to clear the axle under compression. The panhard bar does not need to be straight to work properly. Look at the trackbar on a Wrangler, it's got more than 2 curves in it.
Yes, I totally agree and to be totally honest I left out the spacers during the build simply because I did not see/understand why they were their. After assembly and looking and installed HB kit I didn't see the added benefit of limiting travel, still don't.

I considered bending the PH bar, but that would ultimately end up in the need for a longer bar. I made the decision to hold off befor heavily modifying the kit because a was and still am considering selling it.

It is a nice kit and offers a more realistic appearance. I'm just not sure the benefits out way the stock config. That's just me, nothing against the HB kit.

I did see where another member used this kit in conjunction with the stock 3 link. That seems to me the best alternative...
Rocktaco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktaco01 View Post
I did see where another member used this kit in conjunction with the stock 3 link. That seems to me the best alternative...
You'll get bump steer... that's what the panhard bar is for.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

This kit is designed to work with the stock set up...If you modified your suspension then you will have to change the kit to met your needs...

The intent of the kit is to be more realistic in apperance....

As for the SS screws....We are from the PNW and they dont rust...That is why we supply them ....

Thanks...Chad
burrlytlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

what new length links do you need after installing the HB kit.the stock 106mm links are now to long
sloyota is offline   Reply With Quote