Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: PM Hobbys Trail Ready SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default PM Hobbys Trail Ready SCX10

Well a few weeks back I was headed to my LHS to shoot the breeze with my friends that work there and nothing more. I started chatting with Bruce about random stuff, then I asked him when they would be getting the new Axial TR in, he smiled told me to head back into the work area. There they were, about 8 boxes. I brought one back to the counter and started studying it through the clear plastic window on the box. I looked at Bruce and asked him " can I take it out of the box?" He said "sure" and handed me a knife. I got to work right quick and next thing I knew its on the counter. I handled this thing like a 15year old boy touching a boob for the first time (:luxhello. 30minutes later I put it down and stepped back and told Bruce what I would do to change the appearance. I know that a few people don't care for the Dingo body but I like it and with a little work I thought I could make it look like a Defender ( kind of ).
After telling Bruce a couple idea's I had he said " Take it", the body I asked? "No, the whole truck" he replied. I like the idea's that you have, go nuts. What ever you need take off the shelves, your building this as a shop truck for us so there's no charge to you. Needless to say I started drooling thinking about what I should grab for this truck. I didn't go to nuts I grabbed a few things then came back a few days later to grab some more. There are a few more things i plan to add to this truck but have been sick for the past week so I didnt have a chance to go in.
I'm terrible at stopping and taking pictures throughtout progess of builds, but you all know what the TR Dingo body looks like. I'll make sure to take pics of my finished work and a stock body side by side when I'm done.
Here it is in it's current state

At first I thought i was going to paint the roof and styrene around the door mat black, but now I'm wondering if I should paint it silver to match the body? The styrene around the headlights and the grill will be mat black as well as the taillight mounts, which will be getting LED's. I added styrene to the drivers side rocker panel and think it looks good, it helps break up the silver. I threw on a set of black rims and I think it works.
So now I'm asking you, should the styrene around the cab be mat black or silver. Rims, black or chrome and where to mount the sand ladders( second one is not in the pic but it would be mounted across from the other one on the cage)

My favorite pic so far

Last edited by Jester666; 11-05-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm planning on buying my TR soon and I really like all those scale accesories, it looks really good dude!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Wow I like the styrene work u did to the stock body nice job
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My thoughts.....

Black rims
Black top that goes all the way to the spare tire, not just half way
Ditch the sand ladders
Bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I wish the people at my local hobby shop were as friendly as yours. At my lhs, when some one calls to ask a question they answer it and when they hang up they start trash talking about the question that was asked. Then when the person shows up, the hypocrites greet them and once they leave the trash talking continues. Am glad that some hobby stores are still run by humans. Back to topic, I would love to see it in black, i would think its already to much grey.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellvis View Post
My thoughts.....

Black rims
Black top that goes all the way to the spare tire, not just half way
Ditch the sand ladders

I didn't want to go with a full roof as I've noticed others covering the roof from front to back. I thought I'd be different.

I'm liking the black rims, I just have to go to PM hobby to get a set of black rims. I took two off my jeep just to get an idea.

Sand ladders are just something i threw together, I'm not set on them.

Last edited by Jester666; 11-06-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 View Post
I'm planning on buying my TR soon and I really like all those scale accesories, it looks really good dude!
Thank you, the TR is a sweet little scaler.
There are not to many accesories on it yet just mostly styrene, I dont want to get carried away with adding to much junk to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
Wow I like the styrene work u did to the stock body nice job
Thank you.. I wish the camera would pick up on all the rounded edges and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisaba View Post
I wish the people at my local hobby shop were as friendly as yours. At my lhs, when some one calls to ask a question they answer it and when they hang up they start trash talking about the question that was asked. Then when the person shows up, the hypocrites greet them and once they leave the trash talking continues. Am glad that some hobby stores are still run by humans. Back to topic, I would love to see it in black, i would think its already to much grey.

It is to bad that people some people are Ass Hat's. Every now and then you find a place that wants to be you friend and means it.

You have a good point, there is a lot of silver on it already. What made me think about painting the cab area is the fact that you wouldn't be able to see the styrene work, it would just blend in with the cage.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
RCC Addict

The front end looks awesome, I'll definitely be doing something like that to my TR when I get tired of the body the way it is lol.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Nice! I have been dying to do a hard top for mine. Getting sick of the bikini top I made for it. I like yours a lot though. Any reason you didn't extend it all the way to the back of the truck?
Like where everything is going. I vote matte black for all white plastic. Besides the sand rails, those a flat AL color and also the bands on the jerry can, maybe do those in a silver as well.
Nice accesories so far!
nics1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
HAHAHA 90% of all shops r like that, iv worked at 3 different shops so far n all the same lol. cant say i havent taken part in it either, u just cant help urself sometimes!
yellowpasta2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nics1152 View Post
Nice!
Any reason you didn't extend it all the way to the back of the truck?

Thank you .

I just noticed that a lot of people were making full length roofs, I just thought I'd try something different.

matte black seems to be the choice and thats what I had planed on doing at first. The sand ladders will be painted a different color and mounted some where else.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Well no pic updates at the moment, but the body is getting a coat of paint in the store color's. Hope to jump back on it next week.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
My Hobby shop (Hobby Town) if full of clueless teenagers who never owned a RC. At least the people at your shop know what they are talking about even if they are complete jerks.

Nice build man! I like the truck and the story!
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #14

Only the left side tires are dirty....what the heck lol?

Great story, sounds like you have an awesome LHS.

Personally, I wish the front bumper was chrome instead of black. Some mudflaps on all 4 corners would look awesome. I am starting to see those winches everywhere now, may have to pick one of those bad boys up.

How's it working for you?
DaDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

stoopid question but what are the plate with all the holes used for?
Sverref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Your LHS is pretty cool. It's obvious that your friend sees the sales potential in a customized truck sitting there for folks to drool over. Smart move on his part. I'd jump at a chance like that too, just for the enjoyment of doing it.

It's amazing what a little styrene will do. If you know what you're doing with it that is! Those are very nice touches that make a run-of-the-mill body stand out from the crowd. They add both the strength and sharpness of detail that you just can't get from lexan. I say matte black roof, and silver for the ladders and jerry can rack.

I'm kinda partial to this body myself, I own a '95 RRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverref View Post
No question is stupid, dude. Those are sand ladders, you throw them down in soft sand and drive over them to support the weight of your truck when you get stuck. Or to keep from getting stuck in the first place...

Last edited by Big Mike; 11-23-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDelta View Post
Only the left side tires are dirty....what the heck lol?

Great story, sounds like you have an awesome LHS.

Personally, I wish the front bumper was chrome instead of black. Some mudflaps on all 4 corners would look awesome. I am starting to see those winches everywhere now, may have to pick one of those bad boys up.

How's it working for you?
I threw on a pair of rims from my jeep just to see if I like the black wheel look, thats why their dirty.
Yeah my hobby store is pretty cool, always there when you need something. If they don't stock an item they WILL get it for you. How's the winch working? Works great I have them on all my scalers now, cant beat teh price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverref View Post
What Big Mike wrote below you.
I was just messing around with some spare styrene and wanted to see what they would look like. if I find a mounting location I may keep them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Your LHS is pretty cool. It's obvious that your friend sees the sales potential in a customized truck sitting there for folks to drool over. Smart move on his part. I'd jump at a chance like that too, just for the enjoyment of doing it.

It's amazing what a little styrene will do. If you know what you're doing with it that is! Those are very nice touches that make a run-of-the-mill body stand out from the crowd. They add both the strength and sharpness of detail that you just can't get from lexan. I say matte black roof, and silver for the ladders and jerry can rack.
Thank you.
I'm not going to take this one to extreme, this build is staying pretty much stock just a few minor things are being changed. I figured that since its the stores demo model the customers should be able to see how it performs stock and what it COULD look like with a little bit of work. I'll post pics as soon as the paint drys and as i start putting things back on.

No pics yets. The body is getting a new coat of paint in the store colours( well a shade darker ) ,painting some of the styrene this week. This body is being painted on the outside as well. I've just been swamped lately and have been able to devote the time I need on this rig, I really wanted it finished by now. But the hobby shop is cool and understands that I have other things go on, so they said take your time.

[/QUOTE]