Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: my first rc-car build - f350 on scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my first rc-car build - f350 on scx10

hi guys

just got infected by the rc car virus, and i had to start with an scx10. as i don't like the regular body, i bought a tamiya f350 one (and i'm not the first i must confess

nethertheless i started brazing as well, and i'll use this thread to show my progress.

as the scx is a christmas present from my wife, i have to start with the f350 body which i bought me as a present first thing to do was to make the rollbar. i think it turned out quite well (it's not screwed down to the body, just set in position to see that everything fits)

Last edited by izeman; 12-06-2009 at 07:24 AM.
izeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Good start, welcome to the addiction. You'll be buying yourself a lot of presents now that you are in this hobby
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

thanks for the welcome. ad presents: the car was 250.- (euro), but i spent ast least some 700.- on tools and add-ons, as well as remote, batteries etc,...
if my wife knew that .... ;)

now i don't know what i could do w/o the car itself. any ideas? rocksliders and bumpers need the car assembled.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Great start to your new drug of choice. I'm in the same boat having to wait for a kit as mine is for my b-day on the 17th. That and not knowing what one of the 3 she got me.. Also wondering what body and other supplies she added..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

got my scx for xmas, and was lost in the cellar for the last 10 days. but now i'm done - more or less, and wanted to show some pictures.

i ordered a new set of tamiya f350 body, and bought some 5mm and 6mm tube. i also installed 4 high power 42.000mcd white leds, and 4 orange leds (2 front, 2 back) and 2 red back lights.

color is gunmetal, and the light grey is tamiya primer (i think it looks nice, so i didn't use the silver spray can i bought).

fender flares are installed as well.

bumper is small, but ideal for lifting the rig with one finger and to carry it around.

one thing i really like, is that you can just lift the body, w/o bothering cabeling of the leds. there are 2 little magnets on the chassis, and 2 on the inside of the body, that are connected to power of the esc, and to the leds on the body.

ENJOY ;)

view from front:

all leds lit @night

some details:

rocksliders, polished

bumper

if you want to see more details: all comments are very welcome
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Great work. I like how small the bumper is actually. Nice and simple not taking away from the truck. Have any pics of the naked truck?
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Dude top notch build. The Tamiya stuff is the best and looks great on the SCX10. Amazing scale build my friend.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looking good.

Might I suggest that you paint the backside of your LEDS black or cover them so they don't shoot the light backwards into the body.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i designed the bumper to protect the body (obviously) and to help crawling. so it's parallel to a line drawn from the point where the tires touch the ground, to the bumper itself.

mounted rockslider

cable connector for leds

body connector

Old 01-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Looking good.

Might I suggest that you paint the backside of your LEDS black or cover them so they don't shoot the light backwards into the body.
thanks ;) yep. you are right. i will do that. you can only see that because i did a long time exposure foto (2seconds) - so you see light, that you normally don't really recognize.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Dude top notch build. The Tamiya stuff is the best and looks great on the SCX10. Amazing scale build my friend.
thanks!

the bodies are worth every euro/dollar. not cheap but to quality. just one thing made me think: how do you connect the two parts of the body - and why the hell did they cut it in two ?!? ;)
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

you got a great f350 there i realy like the rool bar and sliders . if you fancy building some il defo have some of you
smedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

this is how i glued the two parts together

Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedo View Post
you got a great f350 there i realy like the rool bar and sliders . if you fancy building some il defo have some of you
thank you. get a number and go to the end of the queue ;) just joking - but you're not the first to ask. i will post some pictures of my self made bender, so just grab a brazing set (< $100), get some rod, and you're done. brazing takes only some minutes, measuring before, and cleaning afterwards takes time. and that's why i think i won't find anyone paying me for that ;)

and the good feeling you have, after you're done is payless. i can't stop staring at my rig
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Great job on the truck, izeman!

I still need to connect the cab and bed of my F-350 like you did. Is that styrene that you used?
FROADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROADER View Post
Great job on the truck, izeman!

I still need to connect the cab and bed of my F-350 like you did. Is that styrene that you used?
the bathtube shaped thing (30x10mm) is 2mm styrene, and the long slim part (40x3mm) is 1mm styrene.

the big one was glued with 2 component epoxy, and the small one with normal plastic/styrene glue (from pattex)

the problem is, that both glues are not flexible. if you bend the body too much the connection may crack :(
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for that info. One more question/request from me.

Could you take a pic of it head on so I can see how much tire is covered by the fender flares? I'm trying to decide if I want to put them on mine. Here is my build by the way. FROADER's F-250 Supercab

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROADER View Post
Thanks for that info. One more question/request from me.

Could you take a pic of it head on so I can see how much tire is covered by the fender flares? I'm trying to decide if I want to put them on mine. Here is my build by the way. FROADER's F-250 Supercab

Thanks!
keep the questions coming

i had to wide (cut out) the body by some mm. the fender flares themselves are shortened by half (front) and a third (rear tires). i will upload some pictures tomorrow when light is better (it's 10pm here). if i use the flash, shadows are very visible on the pictures.

ps: man your rig is crazy! a hell lot of work! and something unique. i shouldn't start something like that. my wife already starts complaining ;) one advise regarding brazing: to me it looks as if you're using to much soldering fluid so solder covers more of the surface than needed. i just put it on the connection itself (maybe 5-6mm in diameter).

pps. huntington beach rocks! i spent half a day there on my first trip to USA.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good, thanks!

Thanks for the compliments. That was my first time brazing and I have too big of a tip on my mapp gas torch, so the heat and flux went everywhere. I got better as I worked on it, but I still need to get a finer tip for my torch.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

i found out that brazing is all up to the right silver. i got 1mm 55% silver with a very low melting temp of some 600C. together with the right soldering fluid, it's just some seconds to heat it up and put the solder to it, and bang you're done.

i tried with some cheap torch and cheap 2mm strong solder (manteled with soldering fluid). it took ages to heat up, smoked too much, and solder was everywhere but where it should be.