Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: TUTORIAL: Replace Drive Shaft Kit AX80011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TUTORIAL: Replace Drive Shaft Kit AX80011

After owning my SCX10 TR for only about 4 hours I managed to break my driveshaft at the yoke.

I'm a complete newbie at this so I had no Idea how to fix this. I played around and finally figured out how to fix it. I wanted to post this tutorial to help anyone who has this problem. This guide should be completely Noob proof.
Step 1: Remove the (AX180) M3xM3mm Set Screw attached to the (AX30380) metal yoke. This will allow it to freely slide off.

Once you remove the screw the piece will fall free and become two pieces. We will work with one half in this tutorial.

Step 2: The next step involves disconnecting the (AX30380) metal yoke from the Drive Shaft (AX80011). I placed a pair of needle nose pliers in the opening where the shaft and yoke are connected.Then I open the pliers, pushing the plastic away from the pins. Make sure you put something over the pliers and yoke. Like a towel or anything so the yoke doesn't fly away.

Step 3: Now that your yoke is seperated from the shaft we are going to attach the new shaft. The new shaft can be tricky to get on. I have found that the best way to get the shaft and yoke connected is this way.

Insert your screw driver in the bottom half of the yoke so that the ball inside cannot rotate backwards and the pins catch on the screw driver.

Once you have this step you can get your yoke and align the one of the holes on the drive shafts with the pins.

Holding your screw driver in the same position and pulling with some pressure (dont worry its tough) the shaft towards it will result in it falling in place for one side.

By holding this same position you can continue to pull on the shaft in the same direction and both sides will be in place. Leaving enough room to remove your screw driver.
Repeat these steps to do the other side of the drive shaft.
Your finished products should look like this.

Step 4: Now put the shafts together and rotate the two shafts around until the grooves interlock and allow for free sliding.

Step 5: When reattaching your drive shafts make sure that your set screw is lined up with the flat spot on the flange pipe. And tighten. both sides.

Tips: When replacing your shafts look into getting the Traxxas Stampede Half Shafts (Part number 1951) Purchased two sets for $6 at hobbytown. They work with the stock axial yokes and are much stronger.

Also If you mount the Wider part of the drive shafts towards the front it will give your crawler less areas to hit/make you hang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
Putting loc-tite on the set screw will make it so it doesnt back out

Comments and Criticisms welcome.

Last edited by house_Fly; 12-21-2009 at 10:15 PM.
house_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Did you mention putting loc-tite on the set screw so it doesnt back out?
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

It does now, thanks for the input.
house_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
I Lie!

i had this same problem with my scx10 tr!
ancichf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

this is going to be a very well used thread for those that don't know what to do, well done on the write up.
nitro_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Now to finish off your new install .

They will work with the Traxxas Pede shafts . Maybe even better because thet fit them tighter than the Axial ones . They fit tight enough you will need to drive them on the plastic part of the shaft .

Pics of them on my Honcho build. I used pede shafts but had to make them longer . Because the Honcho shafts are longer to start with . But that is another lesson .

Last edited by Badd; 01-06-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

Default Alternative way that Axial recommends

Here is a recent video that Axial put up to also help solve this little engineering problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4HWgFR82yY
Dailyroost is offline   Reply With Quote