Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Fodigo Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

I'm lookin forward to where this thread goes. Looks like it's going to be a truly bitchin build. I'm doing the honcho/ax10 kit here pretty soon. You couldn't have chosen a better body, hope to see build pics when the plastic roll cage gets replaced with steel or alum?
bonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

im going to be watching this one
xDamianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Default Quick update Jan 6? already?

What RC builder doesn't want to totally different rig that stands out a bit from the others? So I went with something a little different. The theme for this rig is a Mountain Search and Rescue Fire Department rig. Sorry about keeping you in the dark for a little bit but the powdercoating took a little longer than expected and figured you'ld have guessed sooner or later. No worries tho - I got this build down already as a slow one.

I picked up a few "new" parts the other day from RPP Hobbies. Aluminum C's and pairing control arm hub for the front axel. Pics to follow shortly. .Gheesh - those suckers are BEEFY.

I only had my cell phone the last few days but did manage to slap a few pics of the powdercoating process.

You can see the "powder" clinging to the freshly cleaned, glass bead blasted frame rails, springs, bead locks... Color is Safety Red so at night, it'll reflect light shined on it like a stop sign.

Here's other shots before baking it. I know - looks kinda "powdery" but once it gets baked in, it will have a high glass finish and be a little darker too.

Baking the powder melts it to the metal for a firm sealed paint job. I baked the parts in this over at a toasty 400+ degrees for a little over 15 minutes. This is one hella big oven!

Here are the parts after the baking - Still hot. However, after a few minutes of cooling, it was immediately packaged for protection and safely transported to the build garage to ready for assembly.

The white pieces are colored "brilliant" white with tiny red flakes. Barely noticable really unless your an inch or so away from the part. Just a scale detail I didn't want to miss out on. Those are the connecting rods for the multi-point suspension and drive train.

The transmission was a snap - about 5 minutes worth (excluding looking for a small allen wrench size) and ZING!, Its done. The engine mount was at the powdercoat shop so its not pictured. You'll see it later as you will also see the batt tray and a few other small details.

Heres the little sucker that took a while to find. A must "Harbour Freight Tool" that I couldn't live without.

The stock rims are cool and I like them so for now - they stay. But - they are pretty darn light so I took some clues from other builds and tried the solder wrap in the rim's groove line.

It wasn't enough weight for my taste, I like a heavy wheel so got some lead weights from my local hobby shop and started to add some BLING BLING. The solder acted as another flat surface for the weights to stick to.

One pack will do 1 rim with a little left over. So I got two packs and used the remaining weight for the other tires. I'm thinking since I plan to forward mount the battery - I might use the heavier tires for the rear and the half weighted tires up front. Just pictured, the rear seems light weight.

That's the plan at least - unless someone has tested that idea and it failed. In that case - lemme know

Last edited by FodigoDave; 01-06-2010 at 02:06 PM.
FodigoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Few items from the parts list. Paint is luminessant red and white.

Here's the prelim assembly. Slider, front bumper, rear roll bar will be replaced as likely the shocks too but... needed to assemble for body work then strip it off and head to the fabrication shop.

The brilliant white is really reflective to flash. The "safety red" color looks red but under flash has a metalic reflection (like a stop sign), here it looks like its changing color to orange.. Should be great for night driving at get togethers.

You can see the new controlling arms better here. They fit like a glove. Very sturdy - no play - I feel confident enough to drive it now with those turkeys on and it doesn't even have a steering wheel yet.

Last edited by FodigoDave; 01-08-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Man, I'm really diggin' the white links...different
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

the camera makes it look orange! you gotta take it outside for pics! get some natural light on the subject! its lookin sick!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Nice! This will surely stand out from the rest of the Honchos.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Looks sick can't wait to see it finished.
insanityxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I like it is very different. What plans do you have for the body, or is that a surprise . X2 on the out side photos
65volkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

good choice on the colors, will match right up with any fire fighter/rescue tools ya go with. I also like the tiny detail where you put flakes in, only visible up close. Those are fun details to find.
bonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Man, I'm really diggin' the white links...different
CC, I was suprized how illuminating the powdercoated white reeally is. Very impressive. It's Mpowder in Petaluma if anyone's interested. http://www.mpowder.com/ Tell them Dave sent ya for a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
the camera makes it look orange! you gotta take it outside for pics! get some natural light on the subject! its lookin sick!
Thanks Kronik - only thing is... LOL - where's the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Nice! This will surely stand out from the rest of the Honchos.
It's gonna be pretty interesting - no doubt. I have a few tricks up my sleeve but I can give you a couple clues. (I always wanted a hardcore truggy LOL). I'm currently working on a NEW way of mounting the steering servo - but haven't quite figured out all the details just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanityxj View Post
Looks sick can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks insanity, me too LOL. I'm also building these scale fire extinguishers http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219494&page=2 that consumes a bit of building time for this rig but I'm still making progress. Currently got some new shocks on the way but will likely use the red springs on them that were painted if they fit. More to follow on that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65volkswagen View Post
I like it is very different. What plans do you have for the body, or is that a surprise . X2 on the out side photos
OK VW- I'll give you a little more regarding the plans - exocage, full interior, cut doors, KM Taco's honcho fender well idea ,and I'm working on designing my own driver out of polymer clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonks View Post
good choice on the colors, will match right up with any fire fighter/rescue tools ya go with. I also like the tiny detail where you put flakes in, only visible up close. Those are fun details to find.
Hey Bonks, It wasn't easy to get the minute particles of red mixed in - we shot the red parts first , then left just a touch of remenents of red material in the hopper before mixing and shooting the white parts. Not something we planned to actually work, but... its a very small scale detail that I just had to try. I also just picked up a set of proline tools and high lift jack. I've already pulled the handle off and replaced it with an aluminum handle. Then aged it with some Testers Bronze Metal paint (and a lot of thinner) to give it that hint of grease that looks like it was recently "attempted" to be cleaned off. O've got to keep my fire "work" truck looking tidy and duty ready, right?

I'm currently painting up the rear diamondplate insert but that will wait for install until I can fabricate the metal roll bar assembly for the back.

Last edited by FodigoDave; 01-10-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Dave, those colors sure pop on the frame and links. It really sets things off and I'm sure it's even better in person. I'm looking forward to seeing your cage work...nice to see something different and not so "cookie cutter" of a build up.

NICE WORK
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaDShorT View Post
Dave, those colors sure pop on the frame and links. It really sets things off and I'm sure it's even better in person. I'm looking forward to seeing your cage work...nice to see something different and not so "cookie cutter" of a build up.

NICE WORK
Thanks DeadShort - yea - and these pics just can't do it justice. I'm gonna need a photographer (LOL). Will be starting on the cage work most likely in a few weeks. That's gonna take some time (whoa!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
OK - here'ya go. New shocks are on it's way and I've been thinking about how to light this baby up. Have plans to start on the preliminary lighting system next week.

ON a side note_ here's a little bit of the hi lift jack mod.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

its lookin good! the pic on the tile makes it look good! thats what i meant by outside light! so is the body gonna be red and white two tone?
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #35
riz
Quarry Creeper

Looks nice? Are you gonna crawl it?

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Killer build. Appreciate your taking the time to post progress.
Looking forward to seeing more.
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

wow! cant wait to see how it trun out!
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

You got your individual look with your painted parts what's next?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Very nice build! the red is an awesome choice of color!!
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FodigoDave View Post
Thanks DeadShort - yea - and these pics just can't do it justice. I'm gonna need a photographer (LOL). Will be starting on the cage work most likely in a few weeks. That's gonna take some time (whoa!)

OK - here'ya go. New shocks are on it's way and I've been thinking about how to light this baby up. Have plans to start on the preliminary lighting system next week.

ON a side note_ here's a little bit of the hi lift jack mod.

This thing looks great. Mine arrives this week.
yellorover is offline   Reply With Quote