Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: better shocks 4 honcho?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default better shocks 4 honcho?

i just got my honcho together and i am not impressed with the stock shocks. i thought about draining the oil out and putting lighter in but they seem kinda cheap and i am looking at mudding with this thing. i know i seen someone on here say they used the pro line powerstrokes and seemed they were happy with them but are they worth 70 bucks for 4? any other shocks that are good that work well? i looked at the junfac g-transition shocks too which is wehre i would like to be pricewise around 50. i want something soft enough to actually allow it to articulate.
weez440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i have been running the stockers with stock oil and never had any issues on my scx10 for sometime now
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Pro-Line Power stroke are the best.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
09 RCA champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez440 View Post
i want something soft enough to actually allow it to articulate.

have you tried softer springs? the stock springs might seem a little stiff on a light weight rig.

your not going to find a better replacement than the pro-lines, but if your going to do a lot of mudding you might want to try experimenting with different springs on the stock shocks. i would much rather ruin a $20 set of shocks in the mud vs. a $70 set the only downside ive found to running the pro-lines is they dont have as much travel as the stock shocks do.
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I am running Traxxas Big Bore shocks, and used the rubber thing on the stock axial shocks as a limiter.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #6

Yea the Pro-line powerstrokes are the best, super smooth and look great. heres some on ebay that are $60 shipped, in my opinion, they are worth it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Line-1-9-Sca...ht_2302wt_1167
Jbird0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Anyone ever try the junfac g-transition shocks on the scx10 the look good and aren't too bad price wise?
ElOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #8

I just bought a set of the Junfac transitions. I run them on my rc4wd jeep chassis.. Work damn fine and look sexy as all hell....
QIK-RX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #9

wow thos junfac shocks look awesone... I may get a set of those
eortizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i had a problem with the stock shocks also but the instructions arent crystal in this area they are more like mud when it comes to amount of oil to use i put mine together and found them ungodly stiff drove for a few outings thinking they would break-in and be fine i was wrong. I couldnt take it any more so i took the shock caps off and took oil out till there was a little more than 3/16" of air gap from oil to top of shock. reassembled and it was a whole different set of shocks they are much softer now and mine dont leak a bit im assuming most of the leak problems are from over filling the shocks, my shocks probably have a total of 40 to 50 hours of runtime and still dont leak. try this b4 anything i love the power storkes but i would much rather ruin a stock set of shocks playen in mud than my pride and joy prolines.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The key with the stock shocks is when you are bleeding all the air out, you don't want to compress the shock and have oil come out; oil doesn't compress once the shock is together. What you are experiencing with stiff shocks is exactly that; too much oil! When I bled mine, I compressed the shock all the way (with the spacers in and the top off) and made sure the oil level was just under the top of the shock body. No matter what, however far the shock compressed, there wouldn't be too much oil.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
i had a problem with the stock shocks also but the instructions arent crystal in this area they are more like mud when it comes to amount of oil to use i put mine together and found them ungodly stiff drove for a few outings thinking they would break-in and be fine i was wrong. I couldnt take it any more so i took the shock caps off and took oil out till there was a little more than 3/16" of air gap from oil to top of shock. reassembled and it was a whole different set of shocks they are much softer now and mine dont leak a bit im assuming most of the leak problems are from over filling the shocks, my shocks probably have a total of 40 to 50 hours of runtime and still dont leak. try this b4 anything i love the power storkes but i would much rather ruin a stock set of shocks playen in mud than my pride and joy prolines.
I agree. I did the same thing.
dirtydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

yep totally agree about the shocks i compress mine all the way then put the cap on. a lot of people dont remember the shock rod takes up volume inside the shock when it is compressed. then when the shock extends there is a vacuum inside the shock keeping it from leaking
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
I Lie!

mine are stock and they have taking some EXTREME beatings =]
ancichf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Yeah the stock shocks are pretty stiff, I can't afford anything else at the moment though, I left the rubber bumpstop out and it did help a bit, I'll have to make do for now but my next priority are 4link trusses.

Last edited by stutheitguy; 03-01-2010 at 12:11 PM.
stutheitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
dkf
Rock Crawler

I bought 2 pairs of softer 40mm white springs to replace the stock 40mm springs and use the stock shocks.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #17

the power strokes are bad ass im happy with them and my honcho takes a severe beating
Trail Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Losi 4" crawler shocks are the way to go.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226997
liftmys10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #19

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Ti-Shaft-4-MRC
Are these the shocks in question? I can't find dimensions on the website.
SwapmeetWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

IMO if you dont like the stock shocks you've built them wrong!

mine are great and only leak a tiny bit out of the 2 sets ive used (2 scx's)

but if you want a good/ better shock i get the alum upgrade for the stock shocks or the pro-lines.

im going with the alum.upgrade for the stockers
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote