Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Bender's Honcho............Now Sporting Wraith Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #261
Rock Crawler

Ive got my wroncho done (it works well) any body got wronchos done to show builds /picts? Drawbacks driveshafts (mine are scx/ax) and link set ups. Pics ideas any body?
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #262
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpspack View Post
Awesome bloody awesome bender definately know what my next project is!!!! Top work
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
WOW Great build Bender, just read it from start to finish. Im in the process of building up my 1st Honcho and ive got some great ideas from this Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
sweet honcho Bender. im doing something similar with mine. lets just say it has 1/8 scale hpi savage shocks on it.....
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
Ive got my wroncho done (it works well) any body got wronchos done to show builds /picts? Drawbacks driveshafts (mine are scx/ax) and link set ups. Pics ideas any body?
Nice!
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Hey Brad

It's about time for ax10 axle redeux, right? You should tell Axial everyday that the masses want an updated axle similar to the AR60, but proper width and link mounts, and doesn't really need to be OCP. Just removable diff cover would be great along with new uni axles and accepts XR10/Wraith type 8deg knucles

What do you think?
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #264

Default 2.2 gear ratio

I just bought the Proline TSLs and I was wondering if you changed the gear ratio on yours. I have a stock AXIAL Honcho Motor and ESC. What do you reccommend? Also I put 100mm Axial shocks with red springs. Was that a good move or bad move?

Thanks
ksmithrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #265
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Hey Brad

It's about time for ax10 axle redeux, right? You should tell Axial everyday that the masses want an updated axle similar to the AR60, but proper width and link mounts, and doesn't really need to be OCP. Just removable diff cover would be great along with new uni axles and accepts XR10/Wraith type 8deg knucles

What do you think?
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithrts View Post
I just bought the Proline TSLs and I was wondering if you changed the gear ratio on yours. I have a stock AXIAL Honcho Motor and ESC. What do you reccommend? Also I put 100mm Axial shocks with red springs. Was that a good move or bad move?

Thanks
It might not be a bad idea to swap the stock 20t pinion gear out for something smaller. With the big tires and stock gearing your motor may get a little warm when crawling in hard binds for any period of time. Try it like it is for a few packs, if the motor gets hot too quick, drop to a 15t - 16t pinion.

The 100mm shocks will raise your ride height a little, as well as your center of gravity. But, that could be a good thing if you run in large bowling ball sized rocks a lot. For steep flowing rock, a lower ride height would be better.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #266
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithrts View Post

Thanks
like bender said the 100mm shocks will raise it, and you may run into driveshaft issues

mines not finished yet but im running 1/8 savage shocks with the ax10 and scx10 frames. its taller than a gallon of water/ milk!
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #267
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Bender's Honcho............Now Sporting Wraith Axles

Hey Bender,
Couple questions about the Wroncho build...

Did you stretch the wheel base to 13.5in simply because you wanted to, or did you have to stretch it to accommodate functionality of the wraith axles?

Would the wraith axles have any issues running at a 12.5in stock Honcho wheelbase, or would they just look a little funny so close together?

Otherwise, seems pretty straight forward: 1)Invert shock mounts 2)Bend upper links 3)Add XR-10 Rod ends

Couple pages back, you even discuss link lengths, which eliminates the guesswork!!!

Thanks.
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #268
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke31+6 View Post
Hey Bender,
Couple questions about the Wroncho build...

Did you stretch the wheel base to 13.5in simply because you wanted to, or did you have to stretch it to accommodate functionality of the wraith axles?

Would the wraith axles have any issues running at a 12.5in stock Honcho wheelbase, or would they just look a little funny so close together?

Otherwise, seems pretty straight forward: 1)Invert shock mounts 2)Bend upper links 3)Add XR-10 Rod ends

Couple pages back, you even discuss link lengths, which eliminates the guesswork!!!

Thanks.
I stretched the wheelbase because I had made the jump to 2.2 wheels and tires. Without lengthening the wheelbase, the 2.2 tires really looked out of place. Once I made the jump to Wraith axles, the wheelbase was where I wanted it already. But, the angle of the driveshafts may not work without that extra wheelbase, because the u-joints will want to bind. I think a 12.5" wheelbase will look a little short too with 2.2 wheels and tires.

The rest of the conversion is fairly straight forward, there are a few small issues that come up, like upper link driveshaft clearance, but nothing major.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #269
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
But having two different lengths, it seems they would swing different arches, or radius, I think.
Yes Travis. Exactly...........Your think right on the money.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #270

Awesome rig mate, got a few ideas thanks
Traian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #271
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traian View Post
Awesome rig mate, got a few ideas thanks
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #272
Rock Crawler

Hey Bender, I just have a quick question for you. I know you moved the rear axle back, but did you move the front axle forward some to? If so, how much? Thanks for any info.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #273
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Hey Bender, I just have a quick question for you. I know you moved the rear axle back, but did you move the front axle forward some to? If so, how much? Thanks for any info.
If I remember right the front axle is in the stock location. I will double check when I get home though.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #274
Rock Crawler

I've been thinking about running these axles on my Honcho. Other than the internals being different (and needing upper links for the 4link) is there anything else that needs to be done to make it compatible. Sorry if it's been asked before

And are they wider than the Honcho axles?

Last edited by Armistice; 01-21-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #275
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I've been thinking about running these axles on my Honcho. Other than the internals being different (and needing upper links for the 4link) is there anything else that needs to be done to make it compatible. Sorry if it's been asked before

And are they wider than the Honcho axles?
Sorry I missed this question the first time around. The swap is relatively straight forward, it just takes a little tweaking here and there to make everything fit/work properly. Stretching the wheelbase will be the biggest help, as it helps eliminate driveshaft issues with upper links and binding.

The Wraith axles are wider than the SCX10 axles.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #276
RCC Addict

Bender what drive shafts are you using on this? I have a rig with a 13" wb, 3 link with panhard up front but my rear shaft is long because it's offset like yours. My MIP's don't fit out back but easily fit up front with the 3 link. Any mip's a little longer then the scx version? I tried looking on the MIP site but they don't list measurements for all there shafts.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #277
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Bender what drive shafts are you using on this? I have a rig with a 13" wb, 3 link with panhard up front but my rear shaft is long because it's offset like yours. My MIP's don't fit out back but easily fit up front with the 3 link. Any mip's a little longer then the scx version? I tried looking on the MIP site but they don't list measurements for all there shafts.
I am running the stock Wraith driveshaft outback, extended by using two female half shafts with a male in between. The front driveshaft is the stock SCX10 shaft, extended the same way as the rear. I am not sure about the MIP shafts, as I don't have any experience with them.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #278
RCC Addict

Cool thanks man... I'm using the wraith shaft out back too but it's not getting as much engagement as I like so I gotta make it longer. But I'd much rather get an MIP for it... something tells me the wraith shaft won't last long with a tekin pro4 3300 kv on 4s lol
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #279
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Cool thanks man... I'm using the wraith shaft out back too but it's not getting as much engagement as I like so I gotta make it longer. But I'd much rather get an MIP for it... something tells me the wraith shaft won't last long with a tekin pro4 3300 kv on 4s lol
You're probably right.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #280
Pebble Pounder

IM sure my truck is rather differnt then his because i didn't flip the mounts or stretch the rear. I'm running hot racing wraith links all the way around. Here is a picture of the width differnce between the stock scx-10 axle(front) and wraith axle(rear).

....and @bender- how long are the shocks your running and what are they?
Team_Jason_RC is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/221956-benders-honcho-now-sporting-wraith-axles.html
Posted By For Type Date
Wroncho Action Shots This thread Refback 10-05-2011 01:50 PM