RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   scx10 honcho no need for DRAG BRAKE?... already has drag... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/225469-scx10-honcho-no-need-drag-brake-already-has-drag.html)

yellowpasta2000 01-20-2010 12:25 PM

scx10 honcho no need for DRAG BRAKE?... already has drag...

i built my honcho n i thought i needed a esc with drag brake so the car wont just roll in some situations and angles but after i built it it seems that i dont need any dragbrake the car itsself already has enough drag to stop it from rolling away anywhere...

does this sound ok or did i do something wrong??

Thanks!

FuriousCal 01-20-2010 12:28 PM

I don't know how the TR differs from the Honcho kit but my TR def doesn't have a drag brake.

Tortuga275 01-20-2010 12:39 PM

It depends on the motor. I don't know the differences that make one have more drag then others. I do know that my scx10 will roll down a hill quickly with my 12T in it but with my 55T it will just do a slow crawl down the hill.

difflocker 01-20-2010 12:40 PM

If your ESC does not have a drag brake, you will definitely experience rolling in whatever direction the weight is being pulled by gravity.

yellowpasta2000 01-20-2010 01:37 PM

i have a 27turn in it and it will not roll down any hill lol idk what can be wrong? does it need to be broken in? i vavent powered it up yet. lets say i remove the pinion n i push the car it should slowly come 2 a smooth stop??

shambrick 01-20-2010 01:43 PM

Sounds like you've got something too tight....

yellowpasta2000 01-20-2010 01:46 PM

like what?????

solomon7 01-20-2010 03:06 PM

Gear mesh between pinion and spur. Bet it's noisy huh? Shouldn't be hardly any noise at all if it's meshed properly.
If it's meshed right you can hold the pinion TIGHT, and wiggle the spur back and forth enough for the "engaged" spur tooth to 'click' a bit between the "engaged" pinion teeth without the gears moving, just a tiny wiggle/tick . If there's no play at all between the pinion/spur, you'll typically get a RRRrrrRRRRrrrRRRRrrr noise natural "friction" drag brake sorta, plus it'll put more wear on the gears and the motor will run hotter. Gear mesh goes a long way to the logevity of parts.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 01-20-2010 05:01 PM

wheel nuts could be too tight.
ive done that before.

constantmotion 01-20-2010 05:29 PM

disconnect your driveshaft from the axle and try to spin your wheels. It should spin freely.

yellowpasta2000 01-20-2010 07:15 PM

It's not gearmesh iv been in hobby for years I kno how 2 mesh lol, the wheel nuts bein 2 tight might b it I'll check it, n I took off the pinion and it doesn't seem there's much drag but there deffinately is some but without the motor the car will roll at any given angle.

badger 01-20-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowpasta2000 (Post 2244228)
It's not gearmesh iv been in hobby for years I kno how 2 mesh lol, the wheel nuts bein 2 tight might b it I'll check it, n I took off the pinion and it doesn't seem there's much drag but there deffinately is some but without the motor the car will roll at any given angle.

If the truck rolls freely without the pinion or motor in it then your drive train is fine. If when you reinstall the motor and pinion and it doesn't roll at all on a steep hill then either your gear mesh is to tight like someone else mentioned or maybe it's just the motor.

Is your motor/esc getting hot at all?

92PathSE 01-20-2010 07:41 PM

Other than what they said, I was just thinking...when you assembled the axles, did you make sure to press the pinion gear all the way in?

1BadJeepBruiser 01-20-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92PathSE (Post 2244268)
Other than what they said, I was just thinking...when you assembled the axles, did you make sure to press the pinion gear all the way in?

That is exactly what I was thinking...

Truck should be able to roll freely

yellowpasta2000 01-20-2010 09:02 PM

Yupp made sure the diff pinion was pushed all the way. Ok so final solution 2 this is that i believeits
my motor cuz without it it's nowhere close 2 having as much drag. It's a handwound 24degree 27 turn stock race motor

thanks 4 all ur help n imput guys! Can't wait 2 get out n crawl!!!!!!

DeweyCJ5 01-20-2010 11:25 PM

i have found the screw's that hold the axle C's on to the axle housing have been to tight in 2 rigs that i have worked on

Turn'Nburn 01-21-2010 11:24 AM

sort of sounds like a bad motor bearing maybe. had that problem on an old losi buggy, ran fine but would slow way down when you let off the throttle. tried everything but nothing fixed the problem until i swapped motors.

yellowpasta2000 01-21-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn (Post 2245573)
sort of sounds like a bad motor bearing maybe. had that problem on an old losi buggy, ran fine but would slow way down when you let off the throttle. tried everything but nothing fixed the problem until i swapped motors.

motors fine i hade it in a rc10t4. i think its just the natural drag from the brushed motor the magnitism is pretty strong on it

mudster 01-22-2010 03:54 AM

if its a brand new motor then its the magnets in the motor mine does the same thing when you run it. the motor gets warm and it will loosen a bit i run a trinity 27 turn motor and those magnets are strong just keep the motor from overheating and the magnets will stay strong i dont think its the way you built your rig. i can put mine on an incline and it wont budge until i give it throttle i didnt have to buy an esc with drag brake just a good motor

ROLANDROCKSHOP 01-22-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 (Post 2244865)
i have found the screw's that hold the axle C's on to the axle housing have been to tight in 2 rigs that i have worked on

ive done this before also.

and if your motor has bushings rather than bearings,
it may need a drop of oil.
ive run a stock 27t axial motor,brought it inside,
and went to turn the wheels,it was like it locked up???
put a drop of oil on both ends,work it back and forth,and
it loosened up a bit.