Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial C-Carrier issues....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial C-Carrier issues....

I just bought a set of Axial C-Carriers like the ones attached (thank you Axial for the photo), and I'm having trouble mounting them up. Here is the deal.

I'm running ST Racing aluminum steering knuckles with the new Axial C-Carriers and when I mount the steering knuckle, the inner axle presses so tight up against the stub axle that I have some serious bound up steering. Does that make sense? I tried OEM plastic steering knuckles with the same result. I then mic'ed the two steering knuckles and there identical, however the OEM plastic C-Carrier is much wider than the new aluminum ones. Basically the Axial aluminum C-Carriers are just inset (at the king screw) enough that it causes some serious binding.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is the first time I've bought Axial aluminum C-Carriers so I thought I would ask the masses.

Late
Attached Images

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'm running the aluminum Axial C's and knuckles and haven't had a problem with binding. I don't have any plastic or other aftermarket knuckles to compare. Sorry I couldn't be more help, Brett...
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
I'm running the aluminum Axial C's and knuckles and haven't had a problem with binding. I don't have any plastic or other aftermarket knuckles to compare. Sorry I couldn't be more help, Brett...
So your running the Axial steering knuckles and there is no problem? That may be what I have to do as well. I just can't believe that Axial would make a seperate steering knuckle for the C-Carriers but perhaps they did.

Does anyone one else have any experience with these C-Carriers?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ya, both parts are aluminum Axial.... Only because they were a package deal Otherwise, I would have gone with whatever was cheapest because I'm a cheap ass
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Keep it real

I haven't had any issues using the Axial C's(my favorite brand of C's) and I've used several different kinds of knuckles with them(Felsenfest, Axial, Vanquish, RC4WD), but I've never used STRC ones. I wonder if you got a bad set of something?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm honestly thinking that the set that I have is machined wrong.

After looking at them more closely, it looks like the stock plastic C's are about a half a mm wider from the back side to the king screw hole than the aluminum ones. Effectively the Axial aluminum C's produce a slightly narrower axle width if you where able to get them mounted up.

I'll see if Bender and team have any ideas. Perhaps it's just a bad set.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
I'm honestly thinking that the set that I have is machined wrong.

After looking at them more closely, it looks like the stock plastic C's are about a half a mm wider from the back side to the king screw hole than the aluminum ones. Effectively the Axial aluminum C's produce a slightly narrower axle width if you where able to get them mounted up.

I'll see if Bender and team have any ideas. Perhaps it's just a bad set.

Where are you measuring to the KP hole? The radius on the plastic C around the KP is 3.50mm, while the CNC axle C is 3.00mm. That might account for the .50mm you are seeing?

What is the distance from the back of the Axle C to the face that the bearing seats on?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'll have to check it out tonight. But if I remember correctly the back of the Aluminum C-Carrier to the face where the bearing seats is a shorter distance than on the plastic one. This effectively pulls back the two king pin arms back towards the center of the axle reducing the play between the inner axle and the stub axle.

Does that make sense?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Im Brandon

Yeah I follow ya, that dimension should be the same on both the plastic and aluminum C.

Sending you a PM now.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well after working with Brandon from Axial, we where able to find just the smallest off-set in the axle C, but in Axial fashion, there going to hook me up

I can't thank Brandon and the Axial team enough for working with there customers.

Well done!!!!