Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Ext Cab Hilux Honcho w/ Steel Bed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Default Ext Cab Hilux Honcho w/ Steel Bed

Picked a honcho for my B-day, and it showed up the other night after backorder. I built it to stock up just to see how it went together since its my first axial rig of any type.
(edit) Added specs
Custom extended cab Hilux body
Hand Bros' CMS honcho Kit
Darksoul 1.9 OMF scaler wheels
3racing winch 1/10
3racing LED modified for 19 led's
Reign RC hilux cab back
Custom Rear window by Fubar (Mthead)
RCBro's Leaf sprung in the rear New Version On the way!
Rc4wd red springs (replaced with Chino's Springs Mucho bueno)
FX/R
45t lather
645MG for now replaced with a spare JR 9000t)
3s 2100 Thunder power lipo
MSD winch fairlead
Steel bed in the works
New shoes RC4WD two-face's returned to the Stock prolines, work much better Now running Flatiron G8's
Team3Six Scale seats, Power tank and extinguisher and Custom 1 off interior!

The stock Taco body is nice but I want to different, I started a hilux build a couple years back and never finished it so I decided to use it on this truck, I like the looks of the Tube bed thats included in the kit and since as Long as I've known Unimoger, he has had this Blue Yota bruiser scaler that I've always wanted to copy, and for a time he had this really sweet 1:1 1/2 cab Toy

After The stock build was over I started the modding, First off is the Hand Bros CMS kit
Then a set of 5 Darksoul 1.9 beadlocks I picked up a little bit back
Then the 3racing winch, removed the stock mounting plate, and removed the fairlead, drilled out the aluminum skid and mounted the fairlead.

I wanted to run the hilux cab, But the honcho is a good bit longer then the regular scx si it doesn't quite fit like a glove, so I decided hey why don't I do an extended cab? I am 6'6" and never fit well in Ben's Black truck so I said if I ever had the money to build a 1:1 copy it'd have to be a extended cab so I could drive it without having my knee's up to my ears, and since I still don't have enough $$ to do the real one I'll go small scale.

Started off by moving the rear shock mounts to the forward holes, so I could bring the tube bed forward and close the gap a Bit.

Then I started hacking up the cab, so far I got to shaving off the fins behind the door as the ext cabs don't have them and shaved off the rear lip for the glass so I'll have a smooth transition to the extension. thats as far as I got so far......

pics

I'm going to start on the cab extension tomorrow, trim the front just below the grill, and move the rock sliders forward to match up to the cab once I get it where I like it.

Last edited by slobin3d; 06-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

So I have the day off today, so between doing the laundry, the dishes, and vacuuming, I found some time to work on the body.

I started off by removing the section directly behind the door on a spare body I had lying around, the began grafting it onto the other body, then using styrene strips I began filling in the voids. Once everything cures I'll began sanding the styrene down to even out the panels. I also marked out where I want to trim the fender/bumper area.

On to the pics

Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks good so far curious how this thing is going to turn out! and i love that 1:1 also its sweet .
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Very nice. Did you run it before modding? If not, that is true RCcrawler spirit there. Mod first, driving is an after thought
subyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
I'm a stupid C U N T!

i drove it about 3 feet to make sure it worked
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Busted out the sanding block and went to town on this thing

After I got the styrene down to a manageable height, I found my bondo and went to filling in the gaps and leveling the areas I couldn't fill with styrene.

after several skim coats and sandings I got to a spot where I felt comfortable cutting out the rear windows. Using a piece of paper folded in half I cut out the shape I wanted and once it was where I liked it I cut the paper in half and transfered it to the cab. I drilled out a hole on the edge of the window hole and used the thread method to cut out the window holes

After I got the holes to shape I wanted I sanded the holes and finished up, I started on the Reign cab back I ordered when I ordered the truck, got it glued in place and the gaps filled in.

Now I'm ready to trim the stock rear window into the rear side windows and color the new rear windows that comes with the cab back kit.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thats nice , cant wait til see this thing in action.
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
RCC Addict

That's turning out really nice Aaron
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I cut up the stock rear window and made fillers for the side windows, trimmed the front fenders and bumper mount, and threw on some paint. Here's how she looks now. and a pic of the dog doing her best Snoop impression

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
I'm a stupid C U N T!

still on the todo list:

Fab up a battery tray
Body mount
Move rock sliders forward
Rear leaf springs
Led's
Mount rear cage
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

That dog looks like trouble. Very nice work looks great.
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The cab looks great. Nice work. Nice clean styrene work, never ceases to amaze me. Wish I could put that time into finishing my custom hilux/scx10
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Great job Aaron Your styrene work never ceases to amaze me! What kind of leaf spring set up are you going with on the rear? Are you going to use the RcBros. kit or are you going to fab up your own?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I have some old OG bruiser springs lying around somewhere and some old High lifts ones too, and most of the highlift spare parts lying around So I'll probably fab up my own, although the tail of this truck is really light, so when $$ allows I'll probably go for some RC4WD drive red springs, or If ben will give them up a set of the delrin leafs he has on the shelf.

My overall theme is a truck that someone has started to go just beyond a weekend warrior but not 100% trailered rig, So with the 3-link front, would be a step up from Leafs, but they didn't have the money to do the rear 4-link yet. and having the Axial Tube bed looks to me like more then you would see on most just driving up to the woods So I think it will give me the look I'm going for.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
Keep it real

When you move the sliders forward, also tuck them up and closer to the frame, that'll look sweet. Nice work so far, cab looks tight
Are you going to add any extra reinforcing to the cab back, since the cage mounts to it?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

WOW

That turned out really well. It's good to see someone doing something different with the Honcho for once.

Well done!!!

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Way to stand out from the crowd. Looks good.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
I have some old OG bruiser springs lying around somewhere and some old High lifts ones too, and most of the highlift spare parts lying around So I'll probably fab up my own, although the tail of this truck is really light, so when $$ allows I'll probably go for some RC4WD drive red springs, or If ben will give them up a set of the delrin leafs he has on the shelf.
I have a set of red leafs sitting here that I don't plan on using. PM me if you want them
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

@slobin3d, great looking rig, sweet work on the cab!
How long before we can see some shots of it out running?
ceejay21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

the cab came out great! awsome work!
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote