Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: "Lone Fox" Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

You can print your own waterslides with stuff available from your LHS. They may not be the best solution, but, you can cover them with some clear coat and they will be pretty tough when your done. This is the only way that I can think of to do custom decals. Haven't tested it yet, but the kit is available from Testors, so it should be pretty good, includes software and some sheets.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #42
On the lookout for Rocks

That bumper is way too big for this body. Are you planning on doing something with that?
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
also..anyone know a safe way to remove the "Dale Earnhardt" Signature fro mthe rear window with out damaging the window itself?
I like what you've done with that Silverado body, but unless you are a big Nascar fan I would replace the back window all together a.s.a.p. I did have luck removing the words New Bright from a Jeep windshield with Goo Gone and a razor blade, but you'll have to be careful, lol.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
I like what you've done with that Silverado body, but unless you are a big Nascar fan I would replace the back window all together a.s.a.p. I did have luck removing the words New Bright from a Jeep windshield with Goo Gone and a razor blade, but you'll have to be careful, lol.

Thanks, I'm a Nascar fan...and I used to be an Earnhardt fan..but he's been dead for how long? His stuff isn't getting any more rarer or collectible...if it was I wouldn't of gotten this body for the low Price I did. Although I'm a fan of his son and Gordon.

But I got the signature off...used some nail polish remover

next is to paint the bed...and put on some velcro for the rear to mount to the frame..
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
Thanks, I'm a Nascar fan...and I used to be an Earnhardt fan..but he's been dead for how long? His stuff isn't getting any more rarer or collectible...if it was I wouldn't of gotten this body for the low Price I did. Although I'm a fan of his son and Gordon.

But I got the signature off...used some nail polish remover

next is to paint the bed...and put on some velcro for the rear to mount to the frame..
Did it fog up the window at all? I would love to get rid of that and put a different sticker on that window.
CRAWL UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWL UGLY View Post
Did it fog up the window at all? I would love to get rid of that and put a different sticker on that window.

I hadn't noticed any fogging. but then again it's a tinted window. It being tinted might've hidden any fogging effects if there were any. But again I didn't notice any...there is however a couple faint spots where you can see the signature still...i'm just gonna go over those spots again with nail polish remover again...

Here's a couple pics ..

here's where it sorta shows what didn't come off...can't really see it with the naked eye unless you are right up close...

Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the pics i might just have to do that
Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Update! Painted the bed. and redid the body mounts...the body now hinges.

I actually used pieces from an old Meccano set I had....

It's free standing as well

I also put the original bumper back on it...the original Honcho bumper was a bit too big IMO...

I also removed the "Intimidator" license plate

Ready for some winter fun!

Last edited by Shadow Fox; 06-27-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Making wheel wells for it tommorow I think...also gonna solder my other batteries up for my Mugen...

and I've ordered some custom Silverado and Chevy decals for it from a friend of a friend that has a decal making business in Kona
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

That truck turned out really sweet! i like the chevy body. check out my blazer!
motostowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #51
I joined the Band!

that chevy is sick way way better than the honcho
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaaxial View Post
that chevy is sick way way better than the honcho

Thanks. yea...the Honcho was WAY overdone I wanted something moderately unique....

I still have the Honcho body..may save it for another project or something...

Update: finally remembered to take some action shots of it...did this all at a convention..only 2 pics because I forgot to take more..and I was having too much fun at the con...Lol. plus the front drive shaft blew out and I happen to NOT have the allen key I needed to fix it...go figure eh?

the convention was held at a camp..so I had LOTS of fun...hehe..there were little criks at stuff I drove through..ran the truck hard...got battle scars galore on the drivers side...though I need to strengthen the front body mount somehow...it unvelcroed a couple times...I took to steep of a climb rolled it and the body sorta flopped off even after it rolled back onto it's wheels.

I also trimmed the rear wheel wells and trimmed the front bumper to prevent the wheels rubbing the body when it articulates....I need a REAL bumper...that's my next "to-Do" for this truck

Last edited by Shadow Fox; 09-06-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Wellbeen working on it a little more...working on isntalling a set of speakers in the back...it'll serve 2 purposes...1: covers up the spur gear and 2: lets me plug in an iPod shuffle I have lying around...tunes on the trail!

gonna pick up the speakers tommorow...then gonna make the sub woofer box out of styrene...paint it and glue it inside the interior...

speakers I plan on using are roughly 1.25" diameter...plenty of sound. as for it being scale..i'm not to worried about it..
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post

the convention was held at a camp..so I had LOTS of fun...hehe..there were little criks at stuff I drove through..ran the truck hard...got battle scars galore on the drivers side...though I need to strengthen the front body mount somehow...it unvelcroed a couple times...I took to steep of a climb rolled it and the body sorta flopped off even after it rolled back onto it's wheels.
You could hold the front down like i did This pic was taken about 3/4 the way through one of our TTC's

BTW i like that snowmobile i've got a fourwheeler that i want to put in the bed too but it overhangs just a little as well

i want to make the tailgate functional.....................................eve ntually

Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Well got the speakers..little bigger then i thought but oh well.

I used a cheap iPod portable speaker set I found at a dollar store....i'm gonna test this for durability...if it works then I'll keep it if not I'll upgrade to soemthing a little better

it's a bit of a hack wire job but it works for the meantime...and no it's NOT a bomb..(well not yet anyways)

for power I used a RX 5 cell battery pack I had lying around...I snipped off the wires that ran to the battery tray in the back of the speakers...and took out the tray entirley to fit this into the truck...the speakers needed 6v...so isntead of wiring a non-recheargable battery tray and stuff to it..I used the 6v RX pack I had (5 cell) which is awesom because i can recharge it and keep the size down...(seeming they take up less room then a AA or AA) The cells in the RX pack are smaller then a standard Sub-C cell..they the same size cell in a Traxxas Mini Revo battery pack..

all in all it cost me $2 to build...I already had the iPod shuffle and same for the battery pack...and I wrapped everything in black electrical tape and epoxied the breadboard for the iPod speakers so the wires didn't come loose during crawling...and I put a connector on the speakers so I can remove the RX battery..(I actually have one other i think)

as for the iPod..haven't figured where to mount it.

Even has a green LED to show everything is working

Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Update:

Cut out a bit more of the rear wheel wells..also did a little more on the front

I also picked this stuff up at the dollar store for a buck.. came in a 16'' x 20'' peice...think i'm gonna make up some side window guards.

Something like this Mercedes from Jurassic Park 2:

and Added some more stickers to my back window..originally had an RPPHobby banner sticker but I wanted a more redneck look so took it off and added all these instead. all these decals I got off eBay....18 or so sheets (8.5x11) for $10

Alos wanting to paint the body...just not sure what color to go with...anything but white..Lol

Last edited by Shadow Fox; 09-25-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Well time for some Interesting updates..

went out today and got some spray paint...(blue) and a driver for my truck

here's pics

1st I removed everything from the body....interior, lights, bumpers,stickers, windows, grille and the front grille Bowtie emblem

Windows gone.

Removed grille, lenses and Chevy bow-tie emblem

Everything is off the main body now...

Then started sanding...used 220 Grit for most of it...

Left side isn't sanded the right side is.

and then continued to sand the rest...

finished off with 400 Grit. ten wiped it all down with a dry cloth

and started painting...

And here's my driver "Marcus" bought him at Zellers for $5 in the clearance pile....he's from Terminator Salvation...he's part of the Resistance to take down the Machines(Explains his robot hand)

Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #58

nice build man, you do some good work.
The Custimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Custimizer View Post
nice build man, you do some good work.
Thanks, and there will be more to come.

Got the body...made some mods to it..added some metal mesh to all the open windows except the drivers window..(wanted to be able to see him inside)

Oh yea..got a winch...need a bumper to mount it to though..

Old grille compared to custom one..custom one looks MUCH better.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Well I brainstormed with Marcus today....and we made up a cardboard mock up of a new front bumper to bolt up to the Chevy to mount the winch to.

Removed the old bumper

Marcus gave a hand and held it up to see what it looks like...with and with out the winch.

Now he's just showing off....he is part Terminator after all....

...and then his hydraulics gave out....

we got hungry...so I broke out the candy corn.

final adjustments to the bumper will be made tomorrow