Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: "Lone Fox" Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default "Lone Fox" Build.

Well my Honcho hasn't arrived YET but it should be here any day

I'm titling this build "Lone Fox" because 1: I'm a furry and 2: I'm the only one in my area (that I know of) into crawling..

But I found a New Bright R/C in my basement while cleaning it out..and...It's got a half decent hardbody on it....only thing I don't like about it is...it's a FORD..

My plans for this body are..

1: cut it in two behind the cab
2: lengthen and drop the bed with some HDU (easy to work with)
3: Get rid of the goofy spoiler and rollbar
4: get all the decals off it take the paint off and repaint it.

This will also be my very first scale build!

I know..it needs cleaned lol.

Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

sounds cool cant wait to see some pics
joshlindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #3

looks good new bright shell are very tough and should hold upto a lot of abuse!
stickyrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well I got it today in the mail....first thing I noticed when I opened the box were a couple extra goodies....like RPPHobby.com stickers...a pair of axial gate markers. and MANY axial decals....as well as a few body options...like a black grille or chrome grille...decal head lights or real headlights...it also came with clear window decals with trim...a tinted rear window(it's actually gives the look of a tinted window..it is see through)...and many small scale window decals...and a fuel cell decal set...Which is awesome!!

First I started assembling the axles....but ran into a small problem...the provided screws for the ring gear wouldn't thread into the diff...SO what I did was take a 1/16 drill bit and gripped it in a set of pliers and cleaned out the hole...the bolts screwed right in after wards.... set the shafts with bearings inside the axle half then put the other half on top and screwed them together...both front and rear axle assembly was the same except for a couple different parts like dog bones for the front axles for the steering and the axle C knuckels for the front and the straight axle adapters for the rear...

Then I assembled and filled the shocks with the provided 30Wt oil....(forgot pics) Axial gives you a TON of shock oil....enough to do probably 20 shocks...(pics tomorrow)

After the shocks I pulled out the tranny parts bag and assembled the tranny..putting in the provided grease....axial skimped on the grease a bit lol...I was using it sparingly for the ring and pinion gear in the diffs..and found out I would've been able to put more grease in the diffs after I greased up the tranny....I got the tranny gears in and greased along with bearings and closed it up....

and that's all I did for tonight....more to come tomorrow....as well as more pics!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

glad you got yours you will love it
Old 03-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sounding like this will be a cool build. Even if you are using a Ford .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Update!!!

Well continued...assembled and installed the 3-Link as well as the driveshafts....the Axial instructions said to put the male slider shaft at the bottom...but I switched it around and installed the female slider on the axle end...that way it'll glide over rocks more easily....

Assembled the shocks...kit came with TiNi coated shafts..which is a plus!

Got the lower links put together and ready for installation

Then
installed the shocks and lower links...they bolt on to the axle with the same screw and nut...tested everything for play and such..links and shocks moved around nice and free so went to the next step.

Got the tranny together...I'll see how it performs before mirroring it. loaded it with grease. After I assembled the clutch and bolted on the motor plate to the tranny...kit even came with blue loc tite to use on the tranny bolts..they were through bolts and were nutted on the end

This build gave me a serious case of the munchies....went to the cupboard and fridge and got me some snacks!

Next up I assembled the links for the steering and servo and installed the servo plate.

This was the point which the build started taking some shape....I started assembling the C-channel chassis...mounted the tranny to the sid/mounting plate and bolted that up to the chassis as well as shock hoops front bumper mount and rear tail light housing...I also had some chocolate cake...homemade!!

Next step I attached the front axle assembly to the skid plate VIA the links...Did the same with the rear and screwed the shocks to the shock hoops...starting to really take shape now..

Next up screwed in the aluminum plates to the front bumper/stinger nice and shiny!! For now at least..Lol

Installed the bumper/stinger as well as the rock sliders on the side of the chassis..

Last of tonight....

Installed the radio box and battery tray...and installed the wheel hubs and assembled 3 of the 5 beadlock wheels....my fingers were getting sore nearing the end of the 3rd wheel so I said fook it I'll do it tommorow..

I also screwed on the center caps for the rims....and took a poser shot

Tommorow: Electronics...the last 2 wheels...painting the stocker body if it's nice out....and wiring the rig with my 3Racing LED light kit I also need some more 26awg wire and shrink tubing so I'll head to the store tommorow and pick that up as well...

Might also paint the truggy bed if I can find some chrome paint...LHS was out...and was gonna head to Crappy Tire..see if they have any mirror chrome Krylon fusion paint...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70duncan View Post
Sounding like this will be a cool build. Even if you are using a Ford .
Lol not using the ford body anymore I Don't think.....My Silverado SS body showed up today!! So gonna get me some industrial strength velcro for it...

I'll get pics of it "mounted" tommorow
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm glad you like it
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey Fox...how are you going to use velcro to mount the body? Make to take some pics
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Nice build...some advice from a honcho owner...discard the rubber stoppers on the shocks, they limit travel.
bradabolics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradabolics View Post
Nice build...some advice from a honcho owner...discard the rubber stoppers on the shocks, they limit travel.

I noticed that Lol. maybe i'll just cut them down some...

as for updates...just waiting for the body to dry....and I had an idea....instead of painting the truggy bed chrome...I thought of using the aluminum muffler tape...i've used it before on other t hings and it's sticky as hell and you can easily form it...(like over the diamond pattern on the truggy bed) so I think I'm gonna give that a shot..

and couldn't find any 26Awg wire so Ity'll have to wait till Saturday...(friday everything is closed because of it being a holiday)

so i'm off to finish up the cab and the truggy bed maybe (if i happen to have muffler tape)

then play some Modern Warfare 2 on the 360. Double XP weekend!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradabolics View Post
very good point. if you can afford them the proline power strokes work real nice i think i saw a set of four in the fs section
Old 04-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well I figured I'd give Tamiya paint a 2nd chance.....but it failed me...again so next body I paint i'm gonna go with Spaz Stix....even if I have to order it online (Because my LHS doesn't have anything)...I cleaned the body top to bottom before painting it...and the paint still manages to flake off...I've very dissapointed about it :red:...IMO Tamiya is only good for Scaler Hard bodies....everything else of their sucks

anyways...

Here's a short vid of my lights working...no sound to it...took it with my crappy 5Mp camera...(I really need a new one) I don't have the rock lights or the bumper LEDS installed yet....but I will soon when I can find some small guage wire...

I also came up with a couple different wheel options....I had these all just lying around in my parts box...minus the RPM chrome narrow revolvers...they're kinda meant for my Slash

all the wheels minus the stockers are 2.2"

Option 1: Here's stock 1.9" Flat irons on Axial 8 hole beadlocks w/memory foam:

Option 2: G-Made beadlocks with aluminum center caps: (front tire is a Pro-Line switch rear tire is an HPI Geolander) although I'd make all four tires Geolanders (and I think these would look awesome with the Silverado Body on it)

Option 3: Flat Irons 2.2 on RPM Narrow revolvers

Which do y'all like best?

I also installed my XL5 temporarily along with my HPI Saturn 27t motor out of my E-10 (E-10 is now brushless with VXL) but I need to recharge the batter for it...currently running on a 7cell 3300Mah Orion Rocketpack...my weight ratio right now front to back is probably about 70-30 this thing with current battery weighs as much as my E-Revo w/ batteries

Coming in the mail I have a Tekin FXR ESC combined with a 35t brushed motor...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Well I decided to start work on mounting the Silverado body I have...

I started off with some 1/16 lexan cut to size.... drilled holes for the stock body posts. the lexan was JUST thin enough that I could put the body clips back in securing the lexan rectangle to the chassis....BUT I quickly realized that the body posts would hit the body still...so what I did was use CA glue to laminate another cut piece of 1/16 lexan and adding that second layer allowed me to clear the body posts...so then I cut out my Velcro and stuck a piece on each mounting surface....I mounted the hook side of it to the chassis and the loop side to the inside of the body....Turned out great....Now I just need to figure out how to mount the interior without cutting it up too much....

I used industrial strength Velcro (brand name) an I was able to pick the truck up by holding the roof...damn stuff is strong...even pulling the body off is a chore. Lol

I think it looks better then the stock Honcho body IMO

This is to jsut show how strong this Velcro is...and that's at about 70% strength

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Well I was bored...figured I'd take a couple body off shots to show how I mounted the body...

Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

What exact Silverado body is that? Did you have to change the stock Honcho wheelbase, or does it fit perfectly?
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordsak View Post
What exact Silverado body is that? Did you have to change the stock Honcho wheelbase, or does it fit perfectly?

it's the Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS body....it comes with an interior as well

and no I didn't have to change the WB at all
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Well took it out on its maiden voyage...and I guess I could call this thing the Titanic..I lsot a front drive shaft...no clue how either...but the yoke connected to the tranny simply fell off...i had the grub screw tightened down beforehand...so no idea...managed to drive it home though....popped off the other half shaft...and a scaler with only RWD...is useless. (any crawler i guess with only 2WD is useless lol)

haven't fixed it yet...i will tomorrow...right now...been working on removing the tail light buckets out of my Chevy body...there's CA and hot glue EVERYWHERE....anyone know how to remove it with out damaging the plastic? the hot glue came off no prob..it's just the CA glue....

also planning on getting a guitar string and making a CB antenna....also trying to figure out how to make a scale fox tail....

and soon I'll be making a set of custom license plates....

what's best to back the license plates with? i know someone on here was gonna use thin aluminum...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Update! sorta...

my FXR arrived...now i'm just waiting on my connectors for it...then I can solder everything together...

and could Tekin make this FXR any smaller?? it's got less then an inch square footprint....it's also LiPo compatible and has many other features. it came packaged with a 35t crawler motor..

kinda debating on soldering the motor directly to the ESC? or have plugs between? if plugs..probably bullet connectors...