Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First Draft Tube Bed for Scale Nationals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Default First Draft Tube Bed for Scale Nationals

Well, here is the start of my Honcho with a tube bed. I am getting better at the brazing so I plan on redoing most of what you see. This should give you a basic idea of the design. I plan on making the bed mount to the very back of the frame via a hinge. Then the body will actualy attach to the bed and can be rotated up to allow access to the electonics. Let me know what you think.

I am using the rcbros leaf kit with red rc4wd springs. It pushed the rear axle forward quite a bit. I then put the axial 4link truss on the front with the longer stock rear links on the front. That is why the body is so centered. Not sure if I am happy with it yet.

This is the torch that I am using. MAPP only. It seem like it heats up a lot larger section of the steel than I think is needed. Can I use a smaller nozzle or it that just normal. I am using 45% silver braze with Safesilv (?) flux. The braze was 75 bucks for 3 oz. I could have bought another ESC for that.

bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I just finished brazing a tube rear for my truck also. I have leafs all around and didnt like the shorter wheelbase, so i went and 4 linked rear and leafs up front...man the things climbs almost vert. inclines!

I used saftey sliv 56 and mapp. I thought about a smaller flame setup as i was going to sleep last night also i wonder if they make diff. nozzles, cant wait to see if ya get any replies.
ratmloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The desinging looks good but the rod looks kinda small, almost looks like coat hanger material.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
bsn
Quarry Creeper

The rod is 1/8 solid. I agree that it looks small. I picked up some 1/4 rod last night that I am thinking of using for some of the main sections. It is closer in size to the stock bed, it just doesn't bend as easily.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Default Updates

Some updates on my MSN Honcho.

I built the mount for my CMS, winch, and front bumper. I trimmed the front of the frame to provide some better clearance for my steering setup. I am using Vanquish highsteer knuckles so everything was hiting the frame.

I also build a water resistant (haven't tested to see if its water proof) elec. box. It fits my reciever, sidewinder, winch controler, and led controler. I will have a top that is sealed with engine gasket material.

On the back, I started my spare mount and have my leaf spring mounts. I was using the rcbros kit but had some issues so I decided to build my own solid mounts. I will still be using the rcbros schackels.

I also have started my front bumber. I haven't decided if its too tall. I will be adding some cross members to go out to the edge of the body.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by bsn; 06-06-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The spare tire mount looks good, the bumper looks ridiculous. It's too tall, too sharp and way to steep. Make the stinger the same angle as your approach angle. There are 2 reasons stingers are used; 1. in case of a rollover it needs to be long enough to keep the hood from getting damaged, in turn keeping the radiator intact. 2. when decending down a drop it should keep you from landing on your lid. From experience I know that making a stinger even slightly long does not allow you drop the front end into a ditch and climb out because the stinger digs into the uphill side and forward progress stops. Hope this helps
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Now I have to bend a new one up. Looking at the photos, its not quite straight either. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Finished up the rock rails and finalized the mounting on the spare mount.

Thanks for looking.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #9

nice rock sliders, always wonder why everyone use the stockers.
Belloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
bsn
Quarry Creeper

MAPP Torch - $50
Flux - $10
45% Silver Braze (3oz) - $75 (still haven't decided if I got ripped on this one)
Burnt Fingers - Free

Homemade Rock Rails - Pretty expensive compared to the stock plastic ones (Does that make them priceless?)

At least I get a custom bumper, custom cms and winch plate, custom bed, and custom tire mount also.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Made some progress on the honcho tonight.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
bsn
Quarry Creeper

This is how she sits right know. Going to add a few little things here and there but since I leave for Helena on Thursday morning, not a whole lot more can be changed.

The color of the bars are actualy more of a tan than yellow.

Tell me what you think.

Last edited by bsn; 06-06-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

It's a nice work you did but why dont you continue it making it like an exo. covering also the front fenders?
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Looks pretty good, I like the flip up bed section that's a nice touch
AZINDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

looks great ......I like the rock rails
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, I was happy with everything to, until my 3racing winch started winding only one way and I am leaving for Helena tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #17

Looks Great. I thought the tubing was going to be to small at first but I think it looks awesome now. Where did you get the mesh material?
DremelDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Default Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DremelDog View Post
Looks Great. I thought the tubing was going to be to small at first but I think it looks awesome now. Where did you get the mesh material?
The mesh came from a storage basket for balls, etc that you can get at Wally World or HD. One of the wall storage system ones. It was $20 but I got enough to do four or five different setups so I have a lot of extra.

Thanks for the complements. I was pretty happy with it going into Scale Nationals. Learned a lot and came back with a completely trashed rig. I spend the evening last night rebuilding and revising. I trimmed the body, removed the front light area (didn't have the buckets to put in lights anyways), removed the roof rack, had to replace the front bumper (will be making a new one but this is what I had available). I figure I took over an inch in hight off

Repainted for playing up in Kalispell over the 4th or july.

Any one elses RC4WD reds leaf springs look like this? Guess its lucky that I got 4 in a pack. Something to think about if you go with leafs. The RC4WD reds start out pretty stiff but get very soft after a little while. I probably put 4 or 5 charges through them before they got soft but they bearly support the truck now. I figure I am probably running 75% droop on the back now. I am using super soft spring on top and bottom on the front and the truck still sits nose up.

Something missing? I am done with the MIP CVD. I understand why they stopped making them. Super 300 will be going in

Last edited by bsn; 06-17-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Truck looks good....
Carnage is good, too

Where in Kalispell are you going to be? Maybe we can get a GTG going while you're up here?
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
bsn
Quarry Creeper

I am bring my rig up over the 4th while I am at my parents out on Flathead. They live Mission View Terrace near Lakeside and we were talking about messing around at my sisters place in Somers. PM me and we can probably set up a little GTG. Crawlin with fiends is always more fun.