Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: More front end assembly help needed...Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default More front end assembly help needed...Honcho

I have the Honcho kit and I'm having difficulty getting the front steering together.

I have installed Axial C-hubs, Axial Knuckles and Axial Competition Universal Drive-Shafts. I'm using a Hitech 645 to turn the lot.

My problem is that in order to have the knuckles both squared-up and pointing the wheels straight I have had to lengthen both the drag-link and steering link. I have about an 1/8-1/16" exposed threads now on each end of the links. The other problem is the drag link is in contact with the front of the differential and won't allow much travel on the steering at all.

I hope all that makes sense. I know somebody must of had this issue before. This 'custom' (all Axial parts) front end has been giving me lots of trouble and it's really slowing down my build. I'm tempted to put all the stock components in just so I can complete this thing and start having fun.

Thanks guys.
hh65flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Got a picture? What servo horn?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
On the lookout for Rocks

You don't have to lengthen the steering link or the drag link if everything is done correctly. Please post pics.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

OK guys, bear with me...I'm trying to get some pictures up right now.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Got a picture? What servo horn?
I'm using the AX80006 (#24) servo arm as instructed Jeremy.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

From Honcho

[IMG]
From Honcho
[/IMG]

[IMG]
From Honcho
[/IMG]

From Honcho
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks like you are using the axial high clearance knuckles instead of the standard axial al knuckles and that is causing the problem.

Last edited by TexasSP; 05-28-2010 at 10:41 AM.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

some of the problem could be that spacer on the steering, since you only have a spacer on one side the angle could lengthen the gap and and make the problem. also going back to the stock knuckles would help with the clearance issues you are having with the servo horn. i think that the knuckles are the source of most of your problems.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks Texas. I thought about the knuckles being upside down and may give that a try. The instruction book shows the stock plastic pieces installed that way but the arms are more centered on the plastic piece so it's kind of hard to tell. My son has an SCX-10 TR that I compare stuff against and the arms are biased toward the top on his truck. Thanks again for the input.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I was wrong, they are right but are the high clearance knuckles which I did not catch at first. Try this thread here for some help:

House's Bronco

He is using the hand brothers steering kit but I think it will aid some of your issues.

Also see badgers build here:

My Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho, King of the Bean rebuild!

Last edited by TexasSP; 05-28-2010 at 10:49 AM.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
I was wrong, they are right but are the high clearance knuckles which I did not catch at first. Try this thread here for some help:

House's Bronco

He is using the hand brothers steering kit but I think it will aid some of your issues.

Also see badgers build here:

My Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho, King of the Bean rebuild!
You quoted my build lol. I should be getting the kit today, I'll post pictures of the front end when I get it together today or tomorrow. Yes I am using a Hand Bros kit, which removes a whole bunch of issues that you're having with the servo on the axle.
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty frustrated that the Axial parts aren't working. I bought all their parts specifically to avoid these types of issues. All of these parts are shown in the manual as optional parts yet they don't work together or the instructions are sufficiently grey as to not allow proper installation. I think I will contact Axial and see what they say.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Well the reason the High Clearance Knuckles require a longer rod is because of geometry. They were designed to have less Ackerman Angle at full steering. Once you figure it out, you'll love the difference
Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
RCC Addict

You should probably be using these knuckles.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax30496.htm

The arms are lower down like stock.. and they should bolt right in..
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Arnt those knuckles for the axial BTA steering??
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Well I hope so Gimp! I understand the geometry and the theory behind it (I think).

I still find it hard to believe that more parts are needed to make this work. What is the longest rod Axial makes and why isn't it also shown as an optional part? Installing the Hand Bros kit ora longer rod isn't going to move the tie-rod away from the diff. That can only be done with more offset on the rod ends, longer knuckle arms or shaving/clearancing the diff. Am I wrong?

I wrote Axial to see what they recommend. I'll pass on their thoughts when I hear from them.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
Arnt those knuckles for the axial BTA steering??
Here's the part #of the knuckles: AX30526. You may be on to something here roksloski/Big B. I just looked at the manual and the optional part they list is AX30496.

So much for getting this together for the weekend!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh65flyer View Post
Here's the part #of the knuckles: AX30526. You may be on to something here roksloski/Big B. I just looked at the manual and the optional part they list is AX30496.

So much for getting this together for the weekend!
Yeah, those knuckles are intended for the comp trucks.. the will work on your truck with a few tweaks here and there, but if want a straight bolt in, you're gonna want the aluminum knuckles that share the stock geometry.

Just throw the stock plastic ones on for this weekend. They're stronger than you might think.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Great idea BigB!! I knew you guys could figure this out!! I just checked and the proper knuckles are 'out of stock' at RPP. I'm waiting to hear back from Corey.

I still don't know how you could make these work on the front axle. I guess I could see them working in a BTA application though. Anybody want a good deal on them?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh65flyer View Post
Great idea BigB!! I knew you guys could figure this out!! I just checked and the proper knuckles are 'out of stock' at RPP. I'm waiting to hear back from Corey.

I still don't know how you could make these work on the front axle. I guess I could see them working in a BTA application though. Anybody want a good deal on them?
lol just put the plastic ones on for now. Hopefully my kit comes when it should (today) and I'll take some pics for you. I had them on my comp rig and used the stock tie-rod with a small 5 or 10mm spacer. I'll letcha know what I do and I'll post pics on your thread

The knuckles aren't "made" for BTA, but yes they do come in Axial's BTA kit.