Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New TR Radio and Parts Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #1

Default New TR Radio and Parts Question

Just got a Honcho TR from the kids for Fathers Day! Really cool machine and I am looking forward to using it. My first question is probably easy, but what are all the extra parts in the bag for? Looks like some links or something, but being new to the scalers I have no idea.

My second question is about the stock radio/ESC (which had come unstuck from the radio box upon opening the package up-nice) My kids each have a Traxxas Slash 2 and a 1/16 E-Revo 2.4 and both seem to have really nice setups and good radio instructions. I know the stock TR radio isn't the best, but I thought some instructions or something would have come with it...

When I first got it running the radio was setup so the pushing the trigger forward made the car go forward and back made it reverse, which is opposite of the other r/c's in the family. I did reverse the throttle, but then the response seemed hard to modulate slow, so I am guessing the original setup is "normal"

Also, while I was climbing it over some pillows/blanket in the house the rig stopped running and would respond to any input. I ended up picking it up and it started running again. I think I did notice a little servo sound once I think after I picked it up. Either way it happened a couple of times and was fixed each time by picking up. Is something getting stuck or "over worked" and shutting down?

Just searching the forum it seems a lot of people replace the stock radio system. I have seen lots of Traxxas systems on ebay and used on eay, both 2.4 and AM. Would they work better then the stocker?

Thanks!
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Just got a Honcho TR from the kids for Fathers Day! Really cool machine and I am looking forward to using it. My first question is probably easy, but what are all the extra parts in the bag for? Looks like some links or something, but being new to the scalers I have no idea.

My second question is about the stock radio/ESC (which had come unstuck from the radio box upon opening the package up-nice) My kids each have a Traxxas Slash 2 and a 1/16 E-Revo 2.4 and both seem to have really nice setups and good radio instructions. I know the stock TR radio isn't the best, but I thought some instructions or something would have come with it...

When I first got it running the radio was setup so the pushing the trigger forward made the car go forward and back made it reverse, which is opposite of the other r/c's in the family. I did reverse the throttle, but then the response seemed hard to modulate slow, so I am guessing the original setup is "normal"

Also, while I was climbing it over some pillows/blanket in the house the rig stopped running and would respond to any input. I ended up picking it up and it started running again. I think I did notice a little servo sound once I think after I picked it up. Either way it happened a couple of times and was fixed each time by picking up. Is something getting stuck or "over worked" and shutting down?

Just searching the forum it seems a lot of people replace the stock radio system. I have seen lots of Traxxas systems on ebay and used on eay, both 2.4 and AM. Would they work better then the stocker?

Thanks!
Some good kids you have there. The extra parts are replacements and body mounts and such. For the throttle i would set the switch on the transmitter back and then reverse the motor wires to see if that fixes it. As far as the steering goes, it sounds like the BEC is getting overworked due to the extra friction from the carpet. when the tires get in a bind the internal BEC gets hot and stalls the ESC. It won't be as noticeable on the rocks or trail, but I would recommend upgrading the entire electronics system. Traxxas electronics would be a good upgrade. In my honcho i run a Traxxas XL-5 esc (the blue water-proof one), a Hitec 645MG servo (133oz torque, metal gears, water resistant, $30), Integy 55turn mod motor w/22tooth pinion, Traxxas am radio/micro receiver, and Traxxas 1200mah battery from a mini revo (1 1/2 hour run time).

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 06-20-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks! I did swap the wires, but then the brake didn't work in forward only reverse so I think the controller is backwards from the Traxxas ones I have I guess. I checked again on the switch and for some reason it is very touchy when the throttle is set to reverse. Forward it works "ok."
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

The issue is the radio. It's garbage IMO. I had this exact same problem with one I bought for my dad. You can reverse the throttle channel to get smooth throttle in the forward direction, but then your speed control reverse lockout will work backwards.

Reverse lockout means you have to go to neutral and wait 2 seconds before using reverse. Any other throttle movement and you get to wait 2 seconds again. This is completely ridiculous for a crawler, but anyways...

Replace the rtr radio with a 75 or 27mhz system that isn't defective. Search for my name and find my review on it, there are a few other tricks for making the RTR crawl decent on a budget.
CentralCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

Thank you very much...I am really enjoying playing with this machine and am looking forward to modding it and upgrading.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I bought one for my dad for father's day, so there were a few quirks I had to work out for him. I'd suggest a 35T or 45T integy lathe motor for $22 off Tower hobbies, and a 14T pinion. That is the cheapest way to get enough braking with the stock ESC so it doesn't roll down hills.

Also on the Honcho, the steering servo bolt hits at full suspension travel. The quick solution is to either dremel out the plastic cross member for clearance, or put the steering link on the backside of the servo arm.

The last tip is to bend the rear body clips so they are curved up at both ends. Much easier to get them in and out this way.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster View Post
Reverse lockout means you have to go to neutral and wait 2 seconds before using reverse. Any other throttle movement and you get to wait 2 seconds again. This is completely ridiculous for a crawler, but anyways...
Mine does not seem to have that reverse lockout. I can be going backwards at full speed and make it go forward...so much so that if the rear tires hook up it will do pretty nice wheelie. I also read somewhere that the stock ESC is supposed to have some kind of hill holding brake, but mine does not have that either...they must have updated the ESC or maybe I just misunderstood the post.

Either way, thanks a lot for all the great info!

DAVE
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

The reverse lockout keeps you from going from forwards to backwards without a delay.

I'm shopping for another scx10 for someone else and still can't seem to justify getting the kit over the rtr, even though I still plan on using a different radio and motor.